The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

Now that I've finished the whole series, I like it, but my first run through, it frustrated me how Jesse did absolutely nothing for months after seeing Tulip and Cassidy together.

Obviously you're surprised, it's one of my favorite arcs, maybe my favorite.

So retard zombie humping is a no-no, but you're all for poultry humping?

Who humped a retarded zombie?

Also it's true that it's probably more realistic that Jesse would flip out after seeing Tulip and Cassidy together, but isn't Salvation in a sense a way of showing how seeing his two best friends together completely broke his spirit, his sense of purpose and his whole trek as sheriff was a way of getting it back.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was just checking the listings to figure what comics I wanted this week, and I'd just like to thank Marvel for not killing me with loads of books. I'd gone through Dark Horse, DC and Image and already listed 9 issues this week, thank god I only needed Wolverine at the end. My List-

BPRD: The Warning 5 (I need to revert back to getting the trades for BPRD books, I'm just not digging the sotry progresion piecemeal)

Batman: Cacophony 1 (Big fan of the original Green Arrow appearence of the villian. Big fan of Kevin Smith Comics in general.)

Detective Comics 850

Green Arrow & Black Canary 14

Green Lantern Corps 30 (Irregular purchase but I'm hooked on the multi-corps stoyr and that makes this essential)

JSA Kingdom Come Superman Special (My favorite Superman, how could I miss it out?)

Manhunter 36 (I was debating dropping this but its being cancelled anyway so I might as well stick with it.

Brit 9 (Getting to where I wish it was Kirkman writing solo)

Walking Dead 54 (I'm never waiting fort he trade on this again, it ruins half the issue to issue cliffhangers.)

Wolverine 69 (only on for this storyline)

I'm going to have to do some spring cleaning, I can probably drop 4 of these in favor of the trades or completly after these storylines are up.

The JSA Kingdom Come Superman Special did not disappoint. In a week of weak issues this was a bright shining star. Alex Ross art that didn't blind you with shiny brightness and a big chunk of detail that expands upon Kingdom Come itself and KC Superman in particular. This is by far right now my favorite character in the DC universe. Sorry Tim Drake (former favorite), but this Superman is what the Sentry should be in Marvel- The most powerful man on the planet with a tragic history and an uncertain destiny. If only all $4 specials were this good.

Preacher vol. 8: All Hells A-Coming

I'm almost finished with this series...and I'm quite excited. It really is all coming to a head nicely, and seems to be wrapping up any loose ends before the big showdown between the major players.

This edition really resembled how well Ennis has crafted his characters. Every issue in this edition is driven by the characters themselves. Of particular interest is the back-story of Tulip and more information on just how rotten Cass really can be. For most of the characters this is the calm before the storm (Starr never catches a break).

Personally I really can't stand some of the supporting characters, Starr has just been turned into a big joke, instead of the complete bad-ass he was painted in his flashback issue, I never liked Arseface, and the two Sexual Investigators make a re-appearance that is pretty forgettable. I know they're all meant to be humorous and it is, but sometimes it's overbearing.

No what really drives the book for me are the major characters. Ennis has put a lot of depth to the point where I actually care about what happens to their relationships. Also the supporting characters who were just played for laughs, such as Amy, Jody, T.C., Custer's mom have made more of an impression on me than the ones who were just played for laughs.

Probably the worst part of this trade is the last issue, where it clears up some of Jesse, Tulip, and Amy's criminal career in a flash back. It feels somewhat misplaced just like the Starr flashback and almost all of Vol. 4 (the minis and one-shots). It's not a bad issue by any means, it just feels very inconsequential and anti-climactic. It helps the reader understand the relationship between Amy, Tulip, and Jesse but it comes after Jesse and Tulip part to the Alamo, which just doesn't I don't know work entirely well for me.

Still love this series.

10/10

1985 - So I finished this... and the ending was horrible. Typical Millar. The first three issues of this really got me into it, and it was supposed to tie into Old Man Logan in some way, which I'm thinking is going to disappoint me now as well.

1985 - So I finished this... and the ending was horrible. Typical Millar. The first three issues of this really got me into it, and it was supposed to tie into Old Man Logan in some way, which I'm thinking is going to disappoint me now as well.

Old Man Logan took a bit of a nosedive with its latest issue, I'm not optimistic about it.

I dug the ending, thought 1985 was great from the first issue to the last.

Thousands of innocent people died because a neurotic psycho didn't get his comics back

. I really liked the first issue, and it had a lot of potential, but issues 5 and 6 killed it for me.

I'm pretty sure him getting smacked upside the head with a candlestick holder by his mother was a factor too.

Flight #2

I’m only about half way through, but I’m loving it so far. It shifts a lot in quality, but it’s so interesting to see a whole collection of different stories from different artists and writers in one place. I can see myself collecting the whole series at this point.

Preacher vol. 9: Alamo

So I finished this trade and series for the first time. I have to say it's probably the most impressive graphic novel series I've ever read. It was able to disguise plenty of high-brow concepts and subtexts into low-brow situations, violence, and humour. It crossed genres multiple times but nothing it did seemed out of place. I especially liked this volume because it wrapped up everything in a nice little package, all dangling plot threads, all open messages, everything seemed to come full circle.

Although there are many characters I don't like and complained about often: Arseface and Starr, in particular, Ennis has a point with every single character involved in the series.

10/10

Disappointing week for me. Supergirl (a previous favorite) has an annoying new direction dictated by larger continuity, Deadpool wasn't funny, Red Robin was no-one I care about, Magog was pointless violence and Avengers/Invaders is officially fucking retarded (No I don't think that this is the book in which LMD rights should be explored, and no

Human Torch could NOT DEFEAT THE SENTRY!!! He was still about in regular continuity until a few years ago, he's not some great mythical powerhouse character.

The bright spots? Diggle on T-bolts is making this groups inevitable fracture very cool, and the wider post-SI implications for the Marvel U are interesting. It might have been the best book except for Invincible. Allen the Alien! Omni-man/Nolan! What surprise titan of this reality (or beyond) will join their prison break? Motherfunkin'

BATTLE BEAST!!!

Oh yeah! Not to mention this high action edition has some of the best Ottley art I've seen, and a reveal that could have huge implications for the entire universe!

Yeah, I liked this issue. :blush:

Robin wa a bit what the fuck was that for me.

Maybe because I'm new to it, and probably the last new fan of the comic to come on board, but I was lost....

I pikced up acts one and two of War games and really enjoyed them, I'm also re-reading under the hood, and it seems like this is a straight up forerunner of that, like this was the story arc right after that.

What is black masks skill?

Is he a mob boss? A guy who likes to wear masks? A human clayface? A guy with a horribly burned face, whatever the Batman had him as, I don't know.

What is black masks skill?

Is he a mob boss? A guy who likes to wear masks? A human clayface? A guy with a horribly burned face, whatever the Batman had him as, I don't know.

He's a mob boss. He used to wear the mask as a gimmick but then he got horribly burned or something and now thats his face.

Special skills- Quips, Sadism, has big fancy map o' Gotham.

Just finished Warren Ellis' run on Stormwatch, I started it a couple months ago.

It includes: Stormwatch Vol. 1 #37-51, Stormwatch Vol. 2 #1-11, WildC.A.T.S / Aliens #1

I have to say, as much as I liked it, I didn't love it. It was sometimes hard to follow, a lot of babble at times. But I enjoyed it, it had a mix of politics, superheroics, and subterfuge that I quite enjoyed. I felt that vol 2 was much stronger than his run on vol. 1. Vol. 1 was stand-alone stories and the final arc in vol. 1, I didn't particularly enjoy. The second volume had 3-issue arcs with a better mix of character and plot, from the first arc of volume 2 I was hooked.

Jim Valentino's Shadowhawk, which is probably my favourite of all the earlier Image Comics creator stuff. With the AIDs story it seems that Valentino was actually trying to do something interesting and thoughtful with his character, as opposed to generic crap like Youngblood.

Read the birds of prey issues with the Joker in them today.

it was fun.

I've never seen anyone do that to the joker before and it actually made a lot of sense.

Barbara smashed his teeth and he had to get fake teeth to replace them.

I loved how

The joker didn't recognise Barbara until he had to use sat nav to get back to Gotham. He has ruined so many lives he couldn't keep track of all of them

Has anyone read the mini-series "Whiteout"? I know there's a movie coming out, but I was looking for the TPB a couple of years ago and couldn't find it. Now with the movie, it's in a new printing, apparently. I like the premise, but has anyone actually read it and what was your opinion?

Huh, I bought it but never read it. Thanks for reminding me, I'll do that today. Let you know what I think later on.

Has anyone read the mini-series "Whiteout"? I know there's a movie coming out, but I was looking for the TPB a couple of years ago and couldn't find it. Now with the movie, it's in a new printing, apparently. I like the premise, but has anyone actually read it and what was your opinion?

Huh, I bought it but never read it. Thanks for reminding me, I'll do that today. Let you know what I think later on.

Awesome! Thanks!