The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

Read Penance: Relentless (for the first time) and Thunderbolts: Faith in Monsters (again!)

Thunderbolts is awesome. I just really love it. I can't wait until the second volume gets here from DCBS.

Penance was one of the more intriguing characters that spun out of Civil War for me, and I really loved his arc and character transformation during the Frontline books. So of course since I already loved Ellis' Thunderbolts, I figured I'd pick this up as well. To be honest, it's not bad, it's just completely underwhelming. It doesn't match Ellis' work on Thunderbolts, but it does manage to come close in certain scenes...especially ones involving Tony Stark/Norman Osborne confrontations. I guess my biggest problem is that it doesn't really add anything new to the title character, his thirst for vengeance and redemption has always been there, and thus even when the story is over it still feels all superficial.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Read X-Men: Messiah Complex

I liked it, there's a lot of things done right. The cross-over has a main plot (finding the baby) that they always go back to keeping the story on track the whole way through. The sub-plots all in some way serve the main plot. The characters are pretty clearly split into good and bad in the beginning before messing with the gray areas later (especially with Gambit, Mystique, Cable, and Bishop). The book is never boring, and really action packed.

There's one main thing that I didn't like, I felt that it lacked depth. It felt like there was nothing beyond the plot, that it was all on the surface. The character moments were few and far between and the plot ultimately drove the characters instead of the characters being the driving forces behind the plot.

Overall: It's a rather entertaining read. I don't know all the characters, and I understood practically everything going on.

What I've been reading this week: the entire War Games story from Batman.

Part one is an OK set up, Part two is where it takes off and is actually entertaining. Part three, well the less said about part three the better.

Overall it was an alright story, but it didn't blow me away and I fel that it could've been a lot better. That I said, I really did enjoy the second trade.

Read Thunderbolts TPB vol.2 Caged Angels

I absolutely loved it. Just loved it. Sad to see Ellis go. Great dialogue, great characterization, some amazing fight sequences, the mood of chaos comes through incredibly well, and ultimately this book makes it fun to cheer on the bad guys. Ellis took a group of B-rate characters I knew nothing about (outside of Normy and Bullseye) and made one of the best Marvel books in a long time. Probably best book in the current Marvel U not written by Brubaker.

I've heard bad things about the team that took over during the Invasion. But am hearing good things about the team that picked up post invasion. So the question is should I pick up the Thunderbolts secret invasion tie-in TPB to fill in the gap so I won't be lost (mind you I could care less about the Invasion), or should I just say fuck it?

9.5/10

Next up:

Watchmen!

Speaking of Alan Moore:

I got as an early X-Mas gift, the Deluxe "Killing Joke", allowing me to read it for the first time since I was 16. I have one question:

When Joker stripped Babs down, post shooting, did he, uh, have his way with her? Was that implied, or am I just cracked?

Just as with The Longbow Hunters, the answer is no. Moore's stated himself that she wasn't raped. Just the pictures. Apparently, the original plan was to have him rape Gordon though, but DC nixed it.

Got punisher war Journal volume 4: Jigsaw in hardcover this morning.

It's meant to come out in january, but amazon shipped it eartly, looks like I've got my christmas present!

Going to read it today.

Finished Punisher: long cold dark the other day.

So that's me finished the entire Barracuda trilogy, Barracuda, the barracuda mini series and now this.

I have to say I loved the original story, thought the mini was entertaining, but felt underwhelmed by this part of the story, the art did nothing for me and the story was just ok, after the set up and the first story and mini series I guess I expected more.

Decent selection of books this week.

Bad Books- Just Ultimatum. Couldn't give a shit about this. The only Ultimate book I get is Spidey, the rest of it can take a running jump off the baxter building for all I care.

OK books- Batman was a little better and I'm glad that we'll be getting some resolution in Final Crisis after all this. New Avengers has a new lineup and storyline that looks to take to book back to basics, although despite the detail and quality of the art the composition felt clunky and the new Cap looked pretty damn weird.

Good books- Daredevil was really good as per usual, with all its little plot threads combining to further torment our hero. Plus I'm a total Lark mark, I love his art. Thor gets a strong mention as well, as a new reader it was really great to see Loki fleshed out so significantly, I'm really excited to see where all this goes.

Pick of the week- Ultimate Spider-man. Anytime Spidey, MJ, Torch and the gang get together its good and this was no exception. They could just rebrand this book "Spider-man and his amazing friends" and I'd be more than happy. Johnny Storm wants a girlfriend and the first girl he sees is

Peter clone Spider-Woman?

If that doesn't make you want to keep buying just for the reveal NOTHING will.

This week-

Pick of the month-

Incognito, by Ed Brubaker & Sean Phillips- I'm a huge fan of thier Wildsotrm book Sleeper and this is absolutely from the same mold. Amoral behaviour, extreme violence and a man vs the system, its all great. Interesting art inside too, a lot of single primary colours for complete panels, like an update of some 80's art. Definitly made for me.

Great books-

JSA-

Bummed that Kingdom Come Superman has gone home but I was also very satisfied with how they concluded his story. Its one of the few times that I can say that I never want to see a favorite character again.

Green Lantern- Rotrl is kicking off and I'm glad they are building the War of Light through the Lantern books for a long while before we get the Blackest Night. With Red & Blue in the main title and Yellow and the Star Sapphires in GLC this whole thing is going to come to a boiling point very soon. The inevitability of prophecy greatly adds to the sense of foreboding.

OK books-

Wolverine: Old Man Logan- This story has taken a step down from its initial promise but its still interesting and relevant, and with this chunk of the stoy out of the way I think its going to get back up to speed for a big finale. Once again one of my favorite villains wreaks havoc on a hero he was not created to combat. Hopefully this triggers some interesting in resolving a storyline that came about a while ago (

the return of Quentin Beck

)

Captain America- Feels like the books in a little lull but this end to a three issue arc should serve to set up the future and give some breathing space after the big conclusion of the last arc. Art feels a little less than usual in places but still miles ahead of most. Still worth your money.

Bad- Nothing this month

I read Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson TPB vol. 1:

The first two issues in this TPB aren't even Daredevil issues, but are Spider-man issues that guest-star DD, and really feel out of place in terms of story context and probably the worst stories of the bunch, while still interesting with DD leading around a blind Spider-man, but are significant because it's the first time that Miller ever drew the DD character. While a little more than half of the TPB is Miller as just the artist, these stories written by Roger Mckenzie are also very good and I felt set the stage for the Miller's run as writer. The Bullseye stories written by McKenzie set the stage for later confrontations written by Miller, who also took Bullseye's insane homicidal tendencies an extra notch. The McKenzie stories involving Mr. Slaughter set the tone for the later mob wars involving Kingpin written by Miller. Also many of DD's famous characters and plots including Ben Urich's subplot of discovering the identity of DD, the origin story of DD, the Elektra origin flashback, all these are within the confines of this book. Daredevil's defining characteristics are established here, the psychology of the DD's world is unique and dark, it's pretty much the basis for many writers' style todays. Although some of the early Miller stories are a bit rough in terms of pacing, constant retelling of the origin, and overuse of thought-bubbles, there's some great stories included here.

The standouts include The Bulls-eye stories "In the hand of Bullseye," "To Dare the Devil" and "Devils,"

The flashback stories, "Exposed" and "Elektra"

As well as Miller's three-part introduction of Kingpin.

And the Hulk vs Daredevil in "Blind Alley"

9.0/10

I think the Old Man Logan thread from Wolverine was the only good book this week. I had a couple of questions during the main part of the story, and then they were answered in the end. Spoiler:

It looked like Wolverine was killing all the villians way too easily--and then to realize they were his teammates was a pretty big mind-fuck.

Ultimate X-Men--Yoda's right, I just don't care about them anymore. Ultimate Spider-Man is the only interesting one in the group anymore. I hope the reboot does something to the ultimate universe. Ultimatum is just stupid. For instance--

why would they kill Beast, bring him back, then kill him again? Who is he? The new Phoenix? WTF?

I've cut down now to only one monthly--and occasional others, but the only comic I get interested in monthly anymore is Walking Dead. I'm rereading 100 Bullets, but taking it slowly, which is pretty awesome (on volume 12). If I can just avoid spoilers on issue #100 until the last trade comes out--

Was in the comic shop getting a real copy of final crisis issue one to read and I was so close to picking up, Rogues revenge.

I noticed that they had all three issues, I was going to pick them up, but then I noticed the price and checked something.

I could get a TPB of Batman or the Punisher for the same price or cheaper, or a figure and get more out of it than this final crisis thing, that I don't know if I'd like. Plus I would be more likely to re-read a trade than I would a regular isssue of a comic.

I then noticed how many things DC has out with Final criss on it, theirs a lot.

I then read issue one and it said in the back, and I may be paraphrasing but it said that DC knows that you don't have infinite amounts of money and doens't want you buying comics you don't want.

To me, that sounds weird as they are charging $1 extra for comics with the same amount of pages as a normal comic, but with a glossy cover that's red.

Yeah, thats really helpful DC.

Final Crisis: 40 pages, $3.99

Final Crisis Rogues Revenge: 40 pages, $3.99

Final Crisis Revelations: 40 pages, $3.99

Say what they will about DC's editors or continuity or what have you, but give them credit for giving extra pages for a higher price as opposed to Marvel starting to put out books with 32 pages for $3.99.

And there are nowhere near as many Final Crisis tie-ins as there were Secret Invasion tie-ins.