Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Red Scare is far from "excellent."

I disagree. When looked at as a metaphor for "established old school comic characters vs. new school hotshot comic characters" or better yet "established old school comic creators vs. new school hotshot comic creators" the whole book makes a lot more sense. You can almost sense that Frank Miller loathes Spawn and much of the Image stable of characters in every page of this book (which i am sure he feels somewhat responsible for), but at the same time a begrudging respect for the people who created these characters and the company which houses them. It's also just a really funny and absurd book which turns something as monotonous as an inter-company crossover into an intresting read which acts a window into a certain time period in the comic business. It also has one of the best final pages in a comic ever!!!

Even looking at it as a metaphor for new v old, it still failed to entertain. Yes, the last page is cool. Yes, Todd's art is (mostly) remarkable. But the story is nonsensical, and the dialog is nauseating.

If I want a window into the 90s, I'll read Youngblood or WildCATs. At least Liefeld and Lee were trying. From this book, I get the impression that Miller simply collected a check. This isn't even "so bad it's good." It's more like "it's so bad I want my money back."

Even looking at it as a metaphor for new v old, it still failed to entertain. Yes, the last page is cool. Yes, Todd's art is (mostly) remarkable. But the story is nonsensical, and the dialog is nauseating.

It failed to entertain you, but it didn't fail to entertain me. I wouldn't call Todd's art remarkable, but I would call it neccessary for this book to work. Todd's grotesque, and exaggrated visuals play into what Miller is trying to do (and what he will do in the future) with the character of Batman, and having the guy who's creation/movement you are parodying actually draw the book adds a much needed subversive vibe to this work (kind of like Jim Lee's art on ASB&R). The dialogue, and story are purposely ridiculous, and you have to embrace the absurdity to enjoy it.

If I want a window into the 90s, I'll read Youngblood or WildCATs. At least Liefeld and Lee were trying. From this book, I get the impression that Miller simply collected a check. This isn't even "so bad it's good." It's more like "it's so bad I want my money back."

I think both you and Des misunderstood what i meant by "a window into the 90's". I didn't mean a look at what was going on in comics in the 90's but a look into the mind of Frank Miller, and his views on the industry in the 90's, and the general vibe between the old and the new creators in the 90's. Frank Miller did not phone this work in, and this does fit into the larger picture he is trying to paint of the Dark Knight. This work bridges the gap between Frank's macho Batman of the 80's, and his absurd Batman of the 00's.

Madrox: Multiple Choice - Some issues with the art, mostly with Bishop looking like an R&B singer, but the story itself was a freaking mindtrip. Just twist after twist. Felt like a genuine detective story and offered a really cool perspective on the ramifications of Jamie's powers.

Oh yeah, and STRONG GUY~!

Up next for me is Green Arrow: Quiver.

Picked up X-Factor 1-6 for cheap, so I'll probably be reading through that soon.

Has anybody here read The Hood miniseries? I've seen it around, and was thinking of gabbing it. The art looks nice, and the story sounds interesting. I’ll give either Preacher or Y: The Last Man a shot in the next couple of weeks too.

Green Arrow: Quiver - I'm very mixed on Kevin Smith as a comic writer. He can construct a good story, but for the love of christ his characters need to shut up sometimes. It takes me twice as long to get through anything he does because there's so much meaningless dialouge throughout. Even worse, he'll write someone out of character for the sake of making a joke. I cringed when Ollie and Stanley had their little "let's tease being gay and argue like Dante and Randall" moment. I don't think he understands that most people don't wax philosophy for hours on end about every little aspect of the world.

Okay, that came off as super-negative. I did like the book, and love Green Arrow as a character but that shit just irritates me.

I was totally shocked at how much I loved World War Hulk Aftersmash: Damage Control, since the title makes it sound like the most uninteresting comic book ever released, but it's actually really really funny. Admittedly it's more of a snarky comics Robert Kirkman/Deadpool funny than The Office funny, but it had me giggling away.

In other news, I'm enjoying everything Geoff Johns does.

So far the first volume of Avengers: The Initiative is pretty good. The art is fantastic, and the story has me hooked. Some of the dialog is a little stilted, but overall I'm digging it.

And drq is right about one aspect of New Warriors: when did Jubilee's chest get so large? Granted, I know she's older here than she was in X-Men, but she either had a major growth spurt or some surgery!

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished reading The Dark Knight Returns. Awesome stuff.

I also picked up the second book of Preacher. I’ve thought about grabbing the first, but I keep hearing that the series doesn’t start picking up until 2. Is it worth seeking out and reading through the first one before I read the second?