The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

The first trade establishes the overall concept, as well as the three leads, one of the major antagonists and a background character. It isn't a great read, but, yeah, I'd read it before volume two.

If you liked The Dark Knight Returns, read it's companion piece: Year One.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I also picked up the second book of Preacher. I’ve thought about grabbing the first, but I keep hearing that the series doesn’t start picking up until 2. Is it worth seeking out and reading through the first one before I read the second?

Yeah, you need the exposition, even though things don't get super great until midway through 2.

I'd say volume 7 is the only one that's skippable. It takes you out of the main story in a fashion that's very annoying if it's your first time through the series.

Man, I'm just not on the same page as E-2 this morning. Year One was better than TDKR? I adored Year One, but it's not even close in my mind. Dark Knight Returns shaped the entire industry, and even though a lot of its themes and concepts were driven into the ground by all of the imitators in the following decade(s), it's still one of the best reads comics has to offer. Year One was a great story, but Dark Knight was a legend. So many unbelievable moments... the Joker on Letterman, the face-off on the roller coaster, the EMP and resulting chaos, the duel with the mutant leader, the showdown with Supes, Kent hearing something at Wayne's funeral... it's not even a comparison. I haven't read it in years and it's still fresh in my mind.

Dan, hating on Miller's artwork? For shame... :youlose:

Maybe if we were talking about The Dark Knight Strikes Again.

I loved his Daredevil and early Marvel stuff, but for whatever reason, from Ronin on, Miller has gotten steadily and progressively worse to look at. He's able to make it work to a degree on Sin City, but for the most part I can't stand his style. It's like a right-handed person trying to trace Kirby with his left hand. The Klaus Janson inks aren't helping, either.

And Dark Knight Strikes Again was just abominable on every level.

I've just read the first volume of Mouseguard. Its one of those Indy style books thats almost coffee-table material, a very quirky yet classic take on anthropomorphic mice living as a society with the Mouse Guard being thier chief protection against the natural predators such as Weasels, Wolves and Snakes. There is a low words per page ratio and as a result this is almost something you could give to a child, but its asthetic is more arts-orientated so you might be reluctant to do so just so you can keep it to youself.

A good read, I'll have to get the next volume

I've started collecting the Marvel Bearz models. So far I've got Wolverine, Hulk, Punisher and Venom, since they were at the store. The only model there that I didn't buy was Carnage, since it reminds me of Maximum Carnage, which might be the worst series of comics I've ever read.

I'm not sure if this behaviour is/should be considered pathetic or not.

Thor was the standout book on shelves this week in my opinion, although Ultimate Spidey was close.

I just finished reading the complete Walking Dead right up to issue 48 again. Love and hate this series in equal measure. I love everything about it but waiting for the next issue. What happens now?! For the love of god you've got to tell me!!

I just picked a couple of big thick cheap versions of critically acclaimed series for my upcoming holiday in the states, the first Strangers in Paradise collection and the first Queen & Country. Any opinions on these? I'll let you know what I think when I get back.

I read the first Queen and Country and never really liked it. Not my bag, I guess...

I read Walking Dead in trade form for the first four trades all at once. I moved to monthlies after that and I have felt the pain of waiting for the next issue.

I never saw this online anywhere else but was anybody else completely let down by the last issue of Y the Last Man. The series has been maybe the best I've ever read (up there with Planetary, Watchmen, Sandman and Preacher, in my eyes) but that last issue was a complete stinker and a total copout in my mind. :(

I read the first Queen and Country and never really liked it. Not my bag, I guess...

I read Walking Dead in trade form for the first four trades all at once. I moved to monthlies after that and I have felt the pain of waiting for the next issue.

I never saw this online anywhere else but was anybody else completely let down by the last issue of Y the Last Man. The series has been maybe the best I've ever read (up there with Planetary, Watchmen, Sandman and Preacher, in my eyes) but that last issue was a complete stinker and a total copout in my mind. :(

Mind spoiling the ending for me?

Really? I quite liked it, but then I'm collection the trades and so skipped a bunch of storyline to get there.