The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

I'm a sick man. Due to a bank holiday over here un the UK the comics won't be in my regular store until Friday. On Friday I am flying out to New York for the start of my US vacation (NY & Florida) and so I won't be able to get my comics before I go, which is a pain since I'd planned to read them on the flight. My solution? I've worked out the location of the nearest comic shop to my hotel, Midtown comics, and I know that the second I'm in the hotel and I've showered & changed the very first thing I'm going to do is walk 7 blocks, pick up my books, grab something to eat and then go back to my hotel room and read them, wasting precious daylight hours of a holiday I've paid a lot for. I just won't be able to relax knowing that the 8 or so books I want are only minutes away. The very first thing I do is something I'd have done if I was at home. Thats just wierd, right?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm a sick man. Due to a bank holiday over here un the UK the comics won't be in my regular store until Friday. On Friday I am flying out to New York for the start of my US vacation (NY & Florida) and so I won't be able to get my comics before I go, which is a pain since I'd planned to read them on the flight. My solution? I've worked out the location of the nearest comic shop to my hotel, Midtown comics, and I know that the second I'm in the hotel and I've showered & changed the very first thing I'm going to do is walk 7 blocks, pick up my books, grab something to eat and then go back to my hotel room and read them, wasting precious daylight hours of a holiday I've paid a lot for. I just won't be able to relax knowing that the 8 or so books I want are only minutes away. The very first thing I do is something I'd have done if I was at home. Thats just wierd, right?

It's not... not weird.

Midtown Comics is a great store, though.

I got my comics when I arrived in NY. The guy asked me where I was from and I said Bristol. He brought up the comic-con this weekend (about 300m from my house) and I pointed out that I booked this holiday before I knew when the con was. What I did manage to got see was a superhero echibit at the met. They had the genuine movie costumes for Super-man 3, Batman Begins, the silver Iron Man, Batman Return's Catwoman and best of all both the Clark Kent suit and the Superman Spandex from the original Christopher Reeve Superman film. On top of that they had a whole bunch of genuine no. 1's and first appearances like Amazing Fantasy 14 (Spider-man), Action comics (Superman), Tales of suspense (Iron Man) and whatever Wonder Woman, Hulk, X-men and a bunch of others first appeared in. It was an awesome display contrasting the outfits with fashion, and for the most part the nailed their insight into the characters. they mistakenly cast Batman as an armour-reliant character in the mould of Iron man but aside from that it was great.

I also picked up the second volume of Strangers in Paradise. This is fine stuff. I might get the third volume for the flight home.

I read the X-Factor One Shot The Quick and The Dead on the weekend. Not sure why it was an X-Factor One Shot since X-Factor aren’t actually in it, instead it’s a story about the depowered Quicksilver attempting to confront his demons and retain his sanity.

Long story short:

Pierto gets his powers back (he seems faster than before), saves a woman’s life, and seems pretty gung ho about being a hero again.

Not sure whether or not his story will actually tie in with X-Factor, but it was a fun read.

Really? I am finding it kind of fun. Well, except the baby on chest thing. But, if you have to keep an eye on a baby, where else do you put it? On your back? Too easy for someone to hit with a gun or if they knock you down, the baby is hurt. Sure, he should cover the damn thing up, but the chest thing kind of makes sense. It's not like he can go to Baby's R Us and get a hip carrier or a stroller or something. No one threw him a shower.

The baby is practically a bullseye there on his chest. No safer than on his back, for sure, but I'd say if you have to keep an eye on a baby, you don't put it on a 8 foot tall mercenary in the first place.

The fact that they constantly have him getting shot at and having semis thrown at him with the baby completely unfazed is really annoying, not to mention they literally have him crawling on his chest, bleeding in one panel and the baby's fine seconds later.

Even without the :baby:, the book as a whole is a mess. Bishop vs Cable is a tired concept and the writing is embarrassingly lazy.

I'm usually on and off around here but anyways. (Sorry Yoda if I gave you problems last time I was around, I had a really rough year last year.)

Ultimate Iron Man I: 1-5

I read this, and I really didn't like it. I thought it was boring as all hell and I was pretty uninterested in any of the characters, not sure if that's because Tony Stark's so young in this or what. It could be because it really off to what I'm used to, but I didn't get the characterization of Stark here. Really didn't get it. Ending was incredibly unsatisfying but I knew it would be going in.

I just read the latest Thunderbolts and Norman Osbourne's monologue at the start of the issue is just great. Its about 8 pages of him grumbing about how heroic he is and how useless everyon else is, mixed in with a liberal does of self-aggradising insanity and brutal lust of violence. Not to mention how completly badass he is in the rest of the book. I'm really looking forward to Thunderbolts vs Spider-man if this is the Goblin that shows up.

I'm waiting on the second trade of T-bolts, but I really liked what I read from the first trade. I'll probably read it again before the second trade comes out.

Ultimate Human

I read this over the past couple of days and it was okay. After reading the Ultimate Iron Man, it's really ruined Ultimate Tony Stark for me and there's a lot of crossover between his origin and this book. A lot of the book has bio-babble and the dialogue is pretty boring to read most of the time. But when they don't mess around with that and they hint on the characters of Tony and Bruce, it's good, but those scenes are so few and far between. Also the bad guy,

Ultimate Leader where they spend a whole issue

did nothing for me. It sounds like I hated this book, but i didn't the action scenes are cool, and anytime I get to see Hulk smashing around, it's fun. Just the story did nothing for me and I went into it thinking it was going to be Hulk vs. Iron Man so I was let-down. Kind of strikes me as commercial ploy because of the movies coming out as well. Anybody else read this and anybody know if this book will have bearings, outside of

Bruce officially being stuck with Hulk,

on the Ultimate universe or is it just a one-off?

I think next I'm going to give Fables a shot?

I loved Ultimate Human, even the all-Leader issue.

Will it have lasting consequences, besides those you mentioned? Probably not, but as long as the writing is strong (and it was) and the art is great (it also was), then I'm cool with that. I don't need every comic to mean something in the grand scheme of things.

However, even though I liked it, I fully understand that Ultimate Human is not for everyone. It's a very different kind of comic.