The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

I loved Ultimate Human, even the all-Leader issue.

Will it have lasting consequences, besides those you mentioned? Probably not, but as long as the writing is strong (and it was) and the art is great (it also was), then I'm cool with that. I don't need every comic to mean something in the grand scheme of things.

However, even though I liked it, I fully understand that Ultimate Human is not for everyone. It's a very different kind of comic.

Not saying I NEED every comic to mean something but I don't know just didn't feel like much to me. It caught my interest because I heard it was damn good and I kind of like Ellis. Oh well. It's always better to be an optimist than a pessimist.

My main gripe with the all-Leader issue is I had trouble following it with all that secret service lingo.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Secret Invasion #2 - Almost literally nothing happens in this book.

Batman #676 - Felt really jumpy and disjointed in places, but the last four pages really saved this issue.

Green Arrow/Black Canary #8 - DC's lack of recap pages irks me a bit, but this was still a pretty easy to follow, fun read.

Gravel #1 - I recall Des recommended this one a little while ago. Fucking awesome book. I want to have Warren Ellis' babies.

Fables: First arc

So I read the first arc of Fables over the past couple days. Frankly I'm unimpressed. I fell asleep while reading both the second and third issues and that's never a good sign, especially when it's the middle of the day. I'm intrigued and the concept is a unique one, but the story was an emphatic meh.

Green Arrow / Black Canary #8

Considering the circumstances, some of the dialog was a little too witty. The team is out looking for Connor, yet Speedy has time to flirt with the shady pretty boy who they've pretty much kidnapped. During any other quest I wouldn't have cared a lick and might have even liked it, but not so much here. Ollie's son is missing, but it seems like he's the only one who's really taking it seriously. Sometimes I'm not sure even he is. I hate to play armchair writer, but the story would be much better served if Green Arrow was a little darker for the time being.

Despite that gripe, I'm still digging the direction of this book and like Winick's writing overall. It's a solid globetrotting adventure book that's done a decent job incorporating other members of the JLA and greater DCU: Batman, Hal Jordan, Superman, the League of Assassins and a few more characters.

Lately art chores have been handled by Mike Norton (which is great 'cause I love Norton's crisp, clean style), but I'm seriously missing Cliff Chiang. What is this guy doing that's keeping him from drawing the book he helped launch? After reading through several months' worth of solicitations, the only thing I see Chiang listed on is cover work for GA / BC. No big projects or other monthly gigs, just these covers.

Fables is awesome...fables is awesome...fables is awesome...fables is awesome...fables is awesome...fables is awesome...fables is awesome...fables is awesome...fables is awesome...fables is awesome...fables is awesome...fables is awesome...fables is awesome...fables is awesome...fables is awesome...after the first or second trade...

broken_record.jpg

But seriously, I recently advised a couple who are friends of mine to pick up Fables 1001 nights of snowfall and now they've read half the series, its like thier favorite book and the first major non-marvel series I've managed to hook them on. They got thier books signed at the Bristol comic-con by series artist Mark Buckingham. After Fables turned out so well for them they are asking for more recommendations from me. Its a really really good book.

Fables: Arc 2 - Animal Farm

This arc is, thankfully, much better than the first. Still not sure if I should stick with it or not, it just doesn't seem like my thing as I really feel disconnected from all of the characters. Nonetheless, I really liked the metaphorical ideas present in here with revolutionaries and segregation, except that the writing was incredibly biased against the "revolutionaries", and honestly it would have been 10x better if it was written from a more objective point of view. Honestly, while I can't agree with the hype of Starvos, I can see the intrigue and the interest of the world they have created, just not sure if it's a world I want to keep reading.

Fables: mini-arc, a couple one-shots, and Arc 3 Storybook Love

This book has been progressively getting better, yet I'm still not completely enveloped in the Fables world. I still don't think it's as awesome as many people say it is, but I'm not completely apathetic to it either. Overall, I found that I typically dislike any of the one-shots that explore the character's pass, they've been completely forgettable for me while the contemporary stories are more memorable. The characters are only starting to grow on me now, and frankly that's just way too long. I did enjoy Storybook Love more than any of the earlier arcs because of the interaction between White and Bigby is entertaining and the stakes seem to be higher than they were before.

Final Crisis #1 - Very cool to have a major death almost immediately, but that ending made noooooooo fucking sense.

Batman #767 - I really like where this is going, how Bruce can do much more damage to himself than any villain.

Gravel #2 - Killer spirit horses~! Awesome.

I took a break (maybe permanently) from Fables.

Thunderbolts: Faith In Monsters TPB vol.1

I never really read thunderbolts before, but this is awesome. Yeah they fight D-List superheros but the team dynamics are so much fun. The Penance character is really interesting to me. The constant three-way power struggle is so much fun. I don't know, I just really like this book, it feels like a pretty unique concept considering that some of these characters are absolutely insane. The plot is driven forward by the characters instead of the other way around.

I hope this stays good because I'm definitely going to pick up the second TPB when it comes out.

100 Bullets Collections 1-3: Awesome stuff. Just a great, gritty as fuck book. The third book was tremendous.

Walking Dead Vol 1: Pretty good, but the ending was a real "HOLY SHIT!" for me.

And Summer and I hated Fables. HATED!

USM 122 Greatness. If you don't like USM, I officially give up on you. As a person.

Walking Dead Vol 1: Pretty good, but the ending was a real "HOLY SHIT!" for me.

That's what I love about WD: almost every ending is a Holy Shit! moment.

USM 122 Greatness. If you don't like USM, I officially give up on you. As a person.

Sorry.

did anyone else get Kirby Five-Oh! ? I was totally not expecting the book to be that huge, but god damn it is a beautuful book!

I haven't brought myself to read it but I've flipped through it three times and it brought a tear to my eye each time! This book was made for me. What is the art on the inside cover of your book Mal? I got a sketch of the Surfer from the cover of the SS graphic novel.

What is the art on the inside cover of your book Mal? I got a sketch of the Surfer from the cover of the SS graphic novel.

the art on the acknowledgements page or somewhere else ? The first page of the book has a photo of Jack at the 1973 San Diego Comic Con, and then it's the acknowledgements page.

What is the art on the inside cover of your book Mal? I got a sketch of the Surfer from the cover of the SS graphic novel.

the art on the acknowledgements page or somewhere else ? The first page of the book has a photo of Jack at the 1973 San Diego Comic Con, and then it's the acknowledgements page.

Right facing page of the inside cover. Did you get the hardcover?

Right facing page of the inside cover. Did you get the hardcover?

nope. i got the softcover, i guess that would explain why that page is blank lol

but yea it is a really beautiful book. the only nitpick i had was there was a severe lack of any X-Men pages.

True, but I would argue that that is some of his worst Marvel work. That along with the Namor stuff he was doing for Tales of Suspense (I think).

True, but I would argue that that is some of his worst Marvel work. That along with the Namor stuff he was doing for Tales of Suspense (I think).

I guess. Maybe it's just the X-Men fanboy in me but the way Kirby drew Magneto always just blew me away, the way he used his eyes to express everything that needed to be said. Especially any page where he is shrouded in darkness where you can only see shades of the helmet and those eyes just lurking at you, terrifying stuff. He also drew the sexiest Jean Grey by far. But then again when pages like that are considered some of your weaker work, that only further signifies why Kirby is the greatest comic artist ever!

I guess. Maybe it's just the X-Men fanboy in me but the way Kirby drew Magneto always just blew me away, the way he used his eyes to express everything that needed to be said. Especially any page where he is shrouded in darkness where you can only see shades of the helmet and those eyes just lurking at you, terrifying stuff. He also drew the sexiest Jean Grey by far. But then again when pages like that are considered some of your weaker work, that only further signifies why Kirby is the greatest comic artist ever!

Amen.

Which reminds me...<walking off to get the smoke flying on the next King and I>