The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

Is the Digital Subscription to Marvel worth it? I go there once a day so far to read (since I got it), but I really want to know some huge arcs to read. They claim to have thousands of comics, which excites me, but then I'm like the kid in the candy store. Too much to choose from with no direction and no start point. Would someone like to give me a start point?

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Planet Hulk

You know I tried reading this a while back and I didn't enjoy it, the colors seemed bland and dull and the story wasn't very interesting to me (things usually seem this way on my computer). I was really wrong. Just finished it this morning in a hardcover my friend let me borrow (he loves the Hulk). I quite enjoyed it, and this is coming from someone who doesn't like Hulk all that much. Pak was able to create a whole world, with it's own politics, it's own history, it's own species, and it's own mythology and insert Hulk into this world almost flawlessly. The art seemed much, much better this way (as usual), the story seemed much better as well. Although I'm still not a fan of Hulk the character, he was really represented well here, the concepts of what a real monster is (Issue #5 probably my favorite did this really well) was pretty awesome. And of course, lots and lots of smashing. In the end, I'm glad I read it but at the same time, I'm happy I didn't buy it too.

Up Next, some World War Hulk Tie-ins (again borrowed from my friend).

World War Hulk:

HULK SMASH! I guess I'm the only one who actually liked this. It was fun, it did exactly what it was supposed to do: It delivered big battles between a REALLY ANGRY Hulk and a variety of superheroes while still continuing the theme of "What makes a real monster?" The only real complaint, outside of the lack of depth, is the reveal near the end which was a bit-anti climactic. The book does feel a little dumbed down as it does hammer the themes over and over again but it doesn't take away from it overall. I thought it was a really fun book to read, a lot of action, some big battles, and a continuation of themes that started in Planet Hulk. I thought it delivered, it certainly wasn't fantastic but it was fun.

World War Hulk: X-men TPB

So this TPB collects a bunch of World War Hulk Tie-ins, I actually read this first before the actual WWH book. There are some tie-ins here (X-men, Iron-Man) that are semi-interesting while others feel completely useless and cheap (Ant-man, in particular, but then I never liked that book). The X-men one was the most interesting to me because it's completely unexplained in the WWH book and it seems more important because of Xavier's place on the Initiative. It explains some unanswered questions to stay relevant but not intruding to the main book. The Iron Man tie-in looks deeper into Tony Stark's role and looks into his mentality, through the eyes of Dugan, and it's an interesting way to give sympathy to someone who's been such a controversial character lately (Tony Stark).

I read that Planet Hulk and WWH events were part of a trilogy, what is the third part?

Yeah, Grek Pak confirmed that Skarr is the third part of that series.

I really cut back on my comics recently, but thats actually enhancing the experiance. JSA is frankly awesome right now, and I'm also really into Supergirl. I started picking up the current series a few months back and its really good, I've even gone back to pick up the acclaimed Peter David series from a few years back. I know the current series is a different animal but the role that the character plays is similar, IE the classic girl addition to the Superman family. The art was a little off this issue but the way the series as a whole has been dealing with power and redefining the responsibility that goes with it really interests me.

I'm just pissed that I can't find Manhunter 31 anywhere, I'll have to get it online at this rate.

I've read X-factor Visionaries Peter David vol 1-3 over the past few days. It's a blast.

The early issues have some voice issues, where many of the characters don't really have a distinct voice and many of the lines could be interchangeable from character to character but by the second half of the first arc this is taken care of and Peter David hits his peak in the books about 6 issues in. Some of the jokes don't stand the test of time and of course the pop-culture references certainly date the book (although some of them are funny). By the second TPB, Peter David has some GREAT stories (including a three part Hulk crossover) as he balances the serious along with the humor and really delves into some interesting issues that involve morality. Some of the best jokes involve how ridiculous the villain line-ups are from Mr.Sinister's Nasty Boys, to Stryfe's henchman, to the Hell's Belle's. The characters all get their shining character defining moments and it's balanced pretty well. Probably the most interesting to me has been Rahne's "Wolfsbane" issues. It's been highly enjoyable ride and I'm definitely going to pick up vol 4 of this visionaries series along with the new series which from what little I've read is pretty good.

I’ve recently finished the fourth trade of Y: The Last Man and the first for DC: The New Frontier. I’ve been trying to find the next books in either series, but neither of my local comic book stores have them in. Instead I thought about starting either Bone or The Walking Dead (I hear both are fantastic), but ultimately decided on reading The Sandman: Preludes and Nocturnes.

Nextwave Agents of H.A.T.E. vol 1

So I read up the first six issues of this. It really is the definition of a stupid popcorn book, and that's exactly what Ellis is making it. It's a really fun book with lots of explosions, no character development, swearing, and lots of explosions. It's basically a Michael Bay movie on acid. I have to admit though, it's pretty damn funny. It's not funny in the way that X-Factor is funny where it's more clever, this book is funny in it's over-the-top-ness. The team dialogue is hilarious and the situations are absolutely laugh-out loud Evil Koala Bears of Death, ROBO-COP (kind of), Dragon in underpants (Fin Fang Foom). The series only went 12 issues, and it really does feel like it has a short shelf-life, I can't imagine a book like this being a long series.

Nextwave Agents of H.A.T.E. vol 2

More of the same from the first vol except more sexual jokes and even more outrageous. Didn't think that was possible. Love the "Civil War?" cover to #11 as well, excellent. The first half grabs you because of the concept, it keeps you going because it's so damn funny and outrageous. Don't think it's everyones cup of tea and I'm sure some will say it's stupid, I felt that way on occasion, but at the same time, it's so stupid it's funny. It's like watching Street Fighter live action movie drunk, it's a car crash but all of a sudden it's a hilarious car crash.

I really liked the latest issue of Wolverine. I really liked the way he was portrayed and the premise for the rest of this arc. Of course I did, Unforgiven is one of my favorite films, and this replicates that premise right down to the former badass turned family man & pig farmer, right down to the myterious quest he goes on with an old collegue, its a complete rip-off. I'm interested, and obviously the possible future Marvel Universe is a fascinating prospect but my god is the idea for this arc the laziest thing I've ever read. You know that Wolverine will stumble a little and then by the end, just like Clint, he'll once again be the baddest man ever, the devil incarnate.

If it wasn't good this would be completly unforgivable.

I also just finished the tenth and last Y: the last man trade. I have no idea what they could really do with story that doesn't really need to have an ending so I quite liked it, and I totally teared up for

Ampersand

at the end. I'll have to force others to read this now.

Point Blank TPB by Ed Brubaker

I wanted to read Sleeper but I found out that this is sort of a prequel and I have to admit it was pretty awesome. I really like the noir style and the whole book is pretty much a detective mystery. By the end it's an absolute headtrip. My biggest problem is that I wasn't familiar with some of the characters and the art made a few of them look alike. By the end I totally bought into the story that was being told and felt connected to the characters. This is my first exposure to Brubaker and I'm really interested in picking up more of hist stuff, I think he'd be great for Daredevil and after I finish the excellent Bendis run (I've only got the last two tpbs to go) I'm going to continue with Ed's and I also should look into his Capt America (not sure which of those two I should pick up first though, any thoughts?)

Wolverine: 12 issue Millar run

I really enjoy Millar's action blockbuster style, he does a good job making Wolverine really ruthless but I really felt it was way more interesting seeing "Enemy of the State" Wolvie than seeing "Agent of Shield" Wolvie. Still a fun run. Not nearly as much depth as he put in some of his Ultimate run to make it a good re-read though.

I wanted to read Sleeper but I found out that this is sort of a prequel and I have to admit it was pretty awesome. I really like the noir style and the whole book is pretty much a detective mystery. By the end it's an absolute headtrip. My biggest problem is that I wasn't familiar with some of the characters and the art made a few of them look alike. By the end I totally bought into the story that was being told and felt connected to the characters. This is my first exposure to Brubaker and I'm really interested in picking up more of hist stuff, I think he'd be great for Daredevil and after I finish the excellent Bendis run (I've only got the last two tpbs to go) I'm going to continue with Ed's and I also should look into his Capt America (not sure which of those two I should pick up first though, any thoughts?)

Wolverine: 12 issue Millar run

I really enjoy Millar's action blockbuster style, he does a good job making Wolverine really ruthless but I really felt it was way more interesting seeing "Enemy of the State" Wolvie than seeing "Agent of Shield" Wolvie. Still a fun run. Not nearly as much depth as he put in some of his Ultimate run to make it a good re-read though.

Since you're needing to finish Bendis' Daredevil, grab Brubaker's CA books. Although, you can't go wrong with either.

I wanted to read Sleeper but I found out that this is sort of a prequel and I have to admit it was pretty awesome.

I've probably said this before, but I fucking love Sleeper. Its an awesome series, just Ed Brubaker at his very best.

I wanted to read Sleeper but I found out that this is sort of a prequel and I have to admit it was pretty awesome.

I've probably said this before, but I fucking love Sleeper. Its an awesome series, just Ed Brubaker at his very best.

That makes me giddy.

I received the complete Bone collection in the mail about a week ago and I’ve been periodically reading a few pages at a time.

The whole book is just so charming. I love the banter between the rat creatures.

This is my favorite panel in Bone:

quiche6mj8.png

Just read the Gearhead TPB last night. Pretty good stuff, and manages to tell a rather compelling story while using some rather familiar and at this point cliche motifs (i.e. Superhero's not being so 'super', exiling villians, etc.). Overall though it was pretty damn enjoyable, and Kevin Mellon's art is fantastic. I was a little let down though when i arrived at the end of the book and it said "to be continued...", and there isn't a second volume to my knowledge. Hopefully they do one in the future because they really leave you on a cliffhanger.

I also read Suburban Glamour, and throughly enjoyed it. It definetly had a very Buffy vibe to it with a touch of Degrassi but still very different. I thought the author Jamie Mckelvie really nailed the whole high school dynamic and that awkward feeling in transition from high school to college. I found the fantasy elements to be very well done, and the transition between the two types of story were rather seamless. Jamie's art is really great too, and i think he is going to be one of those guy's to watch out for in the coming years (in both mainstream and creator owned stuff). I also think i have a crush on Astrid Johnson lol.

glamour3.jpg