The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got Hush volumes one and two a few days ago, and they were really good, even if the ending felt really badly rushed.

I got the return of Hush and it is a god awful piece of crap.

Which is a shame, as it was really good, until the story completely killed itself, by stopping and saying that the story picks up now months later and all that shit.

The worst part was the thing ended on a cliffhanger, and not even a good cliffhanger like under the hood volume one, it was a cliffhanger that will never be finished and was really a waste of time and money.

:grumble:

Personally, I'd prefer that he'd never have given up the suit in the first place. But with him cancer-stricken and in that position, he should have died.

Also, I still hateHateHATE Mac Gargan as Venom.

EDIT: Lemme rephrase that: I love the way Venom was handled with the Thunderbolts. People were afraid of him, he threatened to eat Jack Flag, and actually DID eat Ollie Osnick's arm. But, the whole Gargan understory of "Boy, I hope I'm not addicted to the symbiote," was godawful. Brock and even Fortunano would have been better. Gargan was a loser who made it big by getting lucky, and never fit the team dynamic.

So my local comic shop owner has me reading some Mark Millar, looking to change my mind about him after getting kicked in the balls by Wanted. Results were mixed.

Old Man Logan (first three issues) - Despite the fact that I'm beyond tired of Wolverine at this point, I like this concept. Looks like it could be heading for a really stupid ending, but it has my interest so far. I think I have a weakness for alternate futures in general.

Kick Ass Must Have - I hate this. I feels like I'm reading Wanted all over again. I makes no sense, and it's just more male power fantasy bullshit that I don't need to waste my money on.

1985 Must Have - Surprisingly enough, I really liked this one. There's a huge difference between Millar's creator owned stuff, and his company work, and I'm starting to realize that now.

Extra stuff I picked up last week.

Epilogue #1 - It's Steve Niles. It's gory. Love it so far.

Gravel #4 - After major hold ups, now they're pumping out issues of this faster than I can buy them. Some really fun action in this one.

Return to Wonderland #6 - James, if you're not reading this already, start.

Green Arrow/Black Canary #12 - End of the most recent arc. Didn't blow me away, but I'm a blatant Ollie fan, and I'm willing to see what's next.

Moon Knight #21 - I'm aware that I'm the only person in the world that likes this book or this character, and that's fine by me.

Kick Ass Must Have - I hate this. I feels like I'm reading Wanted all over again. I makes no sense, and it's just more male power fantasy bullshit that I don't need to waste my money on.

1985 Must Have - Surprisingly enough, I really liked this one. There's a huge difference between Millar's creator owned stuff, and his company work, and I'm starting to realize that now.

I don't understand. 1985 is jusrt as much, if not more, of a male power fantasy story than Kick Ass is. And Kick Ass is well-written.

Epilogue #1 - It's Steve Niles. It's gory. Love it so far.

"Dear Steve,

I love Epilogue and I heard about it on Dread Media.

You know, I've heard that the host of that show is a really great comic writer too who only needs another wreiter to throw him a backup story or two.

Signed,

DW"

1985 has a scared kid and his deadbeat father surrounded by comic book villains.

Kick Ass is supposed to be set in the "real" world, yet has a 100 pound kid with no combat training fighting off 4 gang members at once, none of which carry guns by the way, and a 6 year old cutting through another gang as if they were made of paper.

I fail to grasp how 1985 is more male power fantasy, exactly. Granted, I haven't read issue 4 of either yet.

Meh, Spector is kinda Batman light. It's an okay book, but I have a hard time getting over that portion of the character.

Does Batman have multiple personality disorder? Does Batman get power from an Egyptian God? Has Batman cut a guy's face from his skull?

Sure, there are a few similarities, but really they're two completely different characters.

1985 has a scared kid and his deadbeat father surrounded by comic book villains.

Kick Ass is supposed to be set in the "real" world, yet has a 100 pound kid with no combat training fighting off 4 gang members at once, none of which carry guns by the way, and a 6 year old cutting through another gang as if they were made of paper.

I fail to grasp how 1985 is more male power fantasy, exactly. Granted, I haven't read issue 4 of either yet.

Isn't that little boy going to save the world?

Haven't comics been built on male power fantasies?

I should have been more specific. All comics are generally male power fantasy, yes, but there's a distinct difference between stuff you see in Batman or Spider-Man as opposed to what Kick Ass and Wanted are doing. Both of those books work on the concept of "all those other books are cartoonish and fake, but this... THIS IS REAL." Any 15 year old kid that puts on a costume in the real world would die in about 30 seconds. Either it's trying to be absurd, or it's trying to be real. The problem is that Kick Ass is trying to be both, and it loses me completely in that case. It's completely devoid of substance.

Isn't that little boy going to save the world?

The difference is that the kid in 1985 isn't going to save the world by throwing his middle finger into the air and smacking people around. If anything, and knowing how Millar likes to do things, there's no guaranteeing that 1985 is even going to have a happy ending, but if it does, it'll be because of something clever that the kid pulls. It's not going to have him dropkick MODOK in the face or anything.