Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone read the power girl back up in DC comics released this week.

I got it in this weeks JSA and read it and didn't enjoy the short story or the art, so when i finished and it said "Read powergirl #1 in June" I said outloud, rather not.

Also the back page had a bit talking about back up storys being in certain comics now in june, here's the list:

Spoiler tagging the names for people who would like it not spoiled.

Detective #854-

The Question(Preston should be slightly happy about that)

Batman: Streets of Gotham#1

-Manhunter

Teen Titans #72-

Ravanger

Booster gold #21-

Blue Beetle

Action Comics #879-

Captain Atom

Green Arrow#22-

Black Canary

Doom Patrol #1-

Metal men

Yeah, I got that in the back of Flash: Rebirth #1. It doesn't really look all that good.

Which Question? Renee Montoya or Vic Sage?

Also, got to talk with one of the comics guys at Powerhouse, and he says another Black Lantern besides

Martian Manhunter

has been leaked, and that

it's a character who's recently died.

So'm interested to figure out who it is.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading Showcase Presents Shazam Volume 1 and am on issue #2, featuring the return of Mr. Mind. First off, back in the forties, Mr. Mind was sentenced to the electric chair. His body was then suposedly stuffed, but in reality, he was switched with a fake and hid to go off into suspended animation to recover. When he comes back, the first thing he does is steal back his glasses and voice amplifier from the museum. How does he do this? Psychically command an army of worms and insects to destroy the museum's foundations and distract Captain Marvel. Just so he could get his glasses back. Mr. Mind fucking rules.

So reading this weeks comics and looking at the around 30 comics I got at the mini con I went to, I came to an epiphany.

I'm going to just switch to trades for comics.

I mean, I just don't see why I'm paying so much for some of the stuff I read and would rather read the full story at once and without ads and it does look better on the shelf having one trade than five issues.

I'm pretty much dropping everything I read in favour of trades as their is so much I would like to read in trade as I would have the full story, and most of the time, it's that bit cheaper.

R.I.P me buying comics at full price bar Battle for the cowl part three and whatever happened to the caped crusader part two and anything I can get thats good for 50p.

Also I'm going to try out showcase and essentials for new stuff now, as once I got passed the lack of colouring, I quite like them and they are a lot cheaper and are easy to place on a shelf as one thing, rather than several chronichles storys.

Booster gold issues 1, 5, 12 and 13.

I got these all cheap and all I can say is I heart booster.

Issue five deals with the killing joke and is awesome.

I'll post some of the inside jokes and references Johns makes in his issues later.

One of my favourites was in issue 1:"Countdown does not matter"

Right, I found the issue and am going to post what is wrote on a blackboard on a wall in the first issue:

1939-New Earth, Earth-2. 1985 + 2006, why 2008???

New Krypton?

Superman and the legion of superheros.

Thom Kallor=Traveller?

Power girl=Missing?

The return of Ray Palmer.

Beware the red lanterns???

Ronnie Raymon + X =Firestorm.

Long live the real king.

Dark***d R.I.P

Titans hunt II

Don't worry about countdown, focus elsewhere.

Who is Dr Thirteen??

Some of it may be gibberish, but I like how he set certain things up then that are just happening now.

Also the killing Joke issue is a really fun one issue story and everyone should give it a flip through. It gives a nice alternative perspective of the killing joke and gets me wanting to read the killing joke again.

Also I'm going to try out showcase and essentials for new stuff now, as once I got passed the lack of colouring, I quite like them and they are a lot cheaper and are easy to place on a shelf as one thing, rather than several chronichles storys.

I suggest Essential Moon Knight, Nova, and Peter Parker, The Spectacular Spider-Man.

Just thought I'd start a thing in here for what you read monthly, what do you get the single issues of. Right now, all I'm getting month in month out is:

What I got before they got cancelled:

Batman.

Robin

Birds of prey

Nightwing

Outsiders(I never really understood why i got this thing I barely enjoyed)

Green Lantern.(Going back and forth about switching to trade)

Green Lantern Corps(This I'm really close to dropping)

JSA(This week will be the last week as Geoff Johns is leaving the book)

As of June I will be down to one monthly:

Batman and Robin.

I'm giving the other batman stuff a shot as I'm getting them for at least half off a DCBS.

So what do you get monthly in comics.

Just the stuff you get every week/other week at your comic shop and leave out trades, and stuff at the end of the month from DCBS.

Also what does everyone prefer in collected. Hardcover or softcover?

I prefer softcover as it just is more comfortable trying to read a softcover comic than it is to try and read a hardcover when you just want light reading, and they usually take up less space, and are easy to carry.

That's just me though.

So been reading the batman chronichles and am just about near the end of the lone Batman era.

It's nice to see the origins of Batman, but these storys are so short and come to a grinning halt so quickly it gets annoying easily. They set up four pages for the villain and about two panels for Batman to beat him(Seriously, he faces one villian and beats him in two panels) oh well, atleast it's a nice history lesson and the art is enjoyable, even though the story and dialogue has aged a lot.

One weird thing was it has the first appearance of the question, though not the actual question more of the same look of the question, it was nice to see that.

I pretty much exclusively read trades at this point. It's easier and (most of the time) cheaper. The only comic I'm buying month to month is Daredevil, and I'm not sure how much longer I'm going to continue with it.

I'll still buy the odd comic every now and again, but typically it's just to help me decide whether or not I'll grab the trade when it comes out.

So, I've been reading the Batman chronichles volume 2,and I came to some realisations.

Bob Kane is a good artist, but was a terrible writer.

I also noticed what has been bothering me so much about these old storys, I got used to the art, hell I enjoy and like the art of Kane now. No, it's not that, it's the fact that the letter and panel structure gets on my fucking nerves.

You shouldn't notice lettering, I mean if the lettering is good, you shouldn't have to lift the comic closer to my face to make out what is being said or have to re-read the same panel just to make sure what i read makes sense.

Also the panel structuring, i have on several occasions mixed up the panels as the structure is so fucking retarded.

For example if you have a nine panel page keep the structure simple, if its three by three, keep it consisitent, but sometimes they do four by three or three by two and half and sliding over it just drove me mad having to re-read the same god damn thing twice.

Another thing I didn't enjoy was the third person narrative structure, I mean today you get a first person narrative in comics, not this omniscent narrator stuff that keeps making me think of the 1966 TV show, which is a good show, but I don't want to think of it while reading a fucking comic.

If it wasn't for these problems I would be enjoying the chronichles a lot more, but they are annoying and ruining my enjoyment of this.

Anyone else have this problem, or is it just me?