Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not sure if he's said anything since, but I got a kick out of reading this;

Between last night and this morning, I've been getting a lot of messages from overseas fans along the lines of "There's an American comic ripping off Bleach!". I'm not that good at English, but I looked at the site and it seems it's a comic by Nick Simmons, the son of Gene Simmons.

To be honest, I'm more bothered by the fact that Gene Simmon's son is a comic artist than whether or not it's a rip-off...

Spoiler filled review of Cry for justice #7

All I can say, is fuck James Robinson.

Agreed. It's like he decided, "Hmm, how best to make a couple of characters toxic to other writers?

I know, cut off Roy Harper's arm then murder his daughter then turn Green Arrow into a cold-blooded killer!

Oh, and let's ruin all of this character development on this Huntress character. Hmmm, maybe a three-way with Hal that serves no purpose? Yeah, DC needs more Hal Jordan is a stud references."

Seriously though, this does feel like the last hurrah of the grim and gritty DC Universe we've had since Identity Crisis. It came in with a bang with that mini and it goes out with a whimper on this one. It's just amazing that a man who wrote something as awesome and story driven as Starman falls back on crutches for this. If I find out later that this was editorial mandate driven, I'll overlook it but really, it's bad writing that just needs to get retconed soon.

Dear Ultimate Comics Avengers #5:

...I don't understand you. I'm sorry, I just really, really don't.

image-A2F8_4B8ED195.jpg

image-6224_4B8ED195.jpg

Dear Cry for Justice:

Yeah, same goes. Especially since almost nothing in this book seems to be reflected in the larger DCU, except for the Green Arrow family. Just sayin'.

By ruining two characters I like, Lian and Roy, Robinson is trying to develop a character that I don't. Awesome. Fuck that.

I'm confused.

Who was being developed by ruining the Green Arrow family of characters? Or was it just James Robinson's fake "ARTIST!!" status?

By ruining two characters I like, Lian and Roy, Robinson is trying to develop a character that I don't. Awesome. Fuck that.

I'm confused.

Who was being developed by ruining the Green Arrow family of characters? Or was it just James Robinson's fake "ARTIST!!" status?

Roy is going to be brought up, for some reason.

Oh for the love of...

Newsarama has posted a series of covers of the follow-up books

here.

So now Oliver is a mass murderer or something? He killed an evil, evil man that destroyed his family. Hell, this seems to be a more just execution than even Wonder Woman twisting Maxwell Lord's head off. What kind of lunatic double standard is this?

God, I just want comics to have a little consistency. Not a lot. Just SOME would be nice.

Though I like mature superhero comic books -- ones that look at the core of the characters -- I'm tired of the overt gore in them. In something like The Authority or an alternate reality story, fine, because those are either a commentary on the industry or not in continuity. But when I see The Punisher being chopped to bits in a non-Max title, a Hulk punching a woman's jaw off in Fantastic Four #573, or what happened over in Justice League: Cry for Justice #5, it makes me sick!

Is this what we want in our superhero comic books? To see our heroes (and even the villains) torn into pieces? I'm not calling for all mainstream superhero comics to be written like Tiny Titans, but if I want to read stuff like this I'll pick up a Max or Vertigo title.

And you know what, fuck DC for not putting a parental advisory on the cover of Cry for Justice, and fuck Marvel for rating that issue of FF an "A," which stands for "appropriate for ages 9 and up."

Just saying.

We’ll have lots more news and info on Gail’s upcoming work, but let’s take a moment to give her a well-deserved round of applause and hear her thoughts on an epic run on WONDER WOMAN. Take it away, Gail:

“Working on Wonder Woman has been one of the most thrilling things in my career. There aren’t many jobs in comics as cool as writing dialogue for Hippolyta as she’s riding a flying horse and stabbing giant sea monsters. I had a blast and as always when I leave a book, I’m going to miss the cast terribly.

When you write this book, you meet these remarkable, amazing Wonder Woman fans and it’s quite unlike anything I’ve ever experienced, just this wave of love and kindness. Diana means something to these people in a way that few other superhero characters really ever seem to do, and I can’t thank the readers enough for their undying affection for the character. I’ve met people whose stories about what

Wonder Woman meant to them are going to stay with me forever. It’s a pretty rare gift.

I have to also thank, once again, the writers and creators who came before me on the book. I’ve said it many times, but the club of Wonder Woman writers seems to be a group of people bonded forever. Whenever I needed help or advice or answers, they were always, always there. The endless support and generosity of these people is astounding and I am grateful forever to Phil, Greg (both of whom were endlessly patient and helpful as I asked a thousand questions about their runs), Trina, Kurt, Dan Mishkin, Allan, Jodi, J. Torres, Bill Messner-Loebs, Mindy Newell, and of course, the great George Perez. When you have those people in your corner, you feel like you can do anything.

And above all I want to thank some of the most amazing artists in the business, people who somehow managed not to kill me when I would write panel descriptions like, “Then a thousand warriors attack…” These people were supremely dedicated and professional and any applause you might have for the book should be squarely aimed at them. Thank you so much, Chris Batista, Nicola Scott, Matt Ryan, Brad Anderson, Fernando Dagnino, Terry and Rachel Dodson, and above all, the amazing Bernard Chang and Aaron Lopresti. They did Diana proud and I also appreciate them not killing me for asking for pages and pages of Themysciran architecture.

I’m sad to leave but very, very proud of the work we did together and delighted to have been a small part of Diana’s ongoing epic saga. It’s really been a joy. And I have to say in complete honestly, I am genuinely thrilled by who is taking over the book. It’s someone who is going to rock this book like there’s no tomorrow, and I could not be happier with this choice. They got this one 100% right. I think it’s going to be a new era of greatness for our princess. People are going to freak and that makes me smile a lot.

My schedule is packed full, as well…and I’m doing books that make me happy every day, like the incredibly fun and horrid SECRET SIX, which has some really shocking surprises coming, and then of course a book very dear to my heart, the return of BIRDS OF PREY in May, with artist Ed Benes doing the finest work of his career. And I can announce for the first time officially, a really exciting WELCOME TO TRANQUILITY mini-series starts in July! Add to that a little treat that is a life-long dream of mine coming true in WONDER WOMAN #600 and it’s turning out to be a great, great year. Aside all that, a huge surprise with one of my all-time favorite artists is coming, but we can’t even hint at that now, so pretend you didn’t read that last bit.

Thank you again, everyone. Be sure to check out Birds of Prey number one…it is CRAZY fun. You can’t see it, but I’m giving the Amazon salute. Thanks, everyone!”

DC Source.

The Comic Book Resources essay from Simone is longer but mostly the same thing but from it:

I want to say that for those that enjoyed my run, there IS good news coming very soon. The new writer is such a perfect and fitting choice that I know we’re looking at a great new era in Wonder Woman’s history. I am certain of it. And when you all find out very shortly, I think you’ll agree with me.

Seems like it's going to be someone new. Since I've been loving his Power Girl work, wouldn't mind Jimmy Palmiotti.

If you look at Huntress, she has the same mouth and eyes, too. (The nose is a little different, so that counts for something.) Frankly, you don't hire Ed Benes for his diverse range of faces.

I didn't notice Huntress, but yeah, they all look the same. Yeah, you hire Benes for his ability to do good a good cheesecake book(Something Gulliem March still needs to learn) that your not worry about looking like a pervert reading.

How hard do nipples have to be to poke through leather? And oddly enough, she's the only one drawn that way. So in the DCU cotton and Spandex are more ridged than leather.

It's the fact that Power Girl is in that image that makes me ask why just her.

I can make an argument for Wondy and Hawkgirl's nipples not showing, cause there's metal and armor type stuff that would block that view. PG and Zatanna, I'm a little questionable about, the other girl who's name I can't remember, angle of her arms blocks it.

But maybe one of BC's superpowers is superhard nipples? :P (Also, speaking from experiences of friends who wear lots and lots of leather, nipples do show up through it.)

I can make an argument for Wondy and Hawkgirl's nipples not showing, cause there's metal and armor type stuff that would block that view. PG and Zatanna, I'm a little questionable about, the other girl who's name I can't remember, angle of her arms blocks it.

Vixen.

She sucks.