The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

That being said, though, it's slightly odd that he'll now be writing both the ongoing Superman comic and the Superman: Earth One graphic novels. Will they really be that different?

He'll start from scratch with E-1, he can have his own continuity going on. With the main book, he has to follow up on all the war of the supermen and 100,000 Kryptonian shite.

I meant more in tone and character.

That's true, though.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Kilowog has one of the best lines in the history of comics in the preview of GLC 46#.

Kilowog: I'd like to shake the hand of whoever ripped out Arkillo's tongue.

Arisa: Why's that?

Kilowog: Because a little peace and quiet in a firefight goes a long way.

So from the looks of things, my Amazon order got canceled. Kinda sucks. The suckiest part though is that I didn't even get an e-mail. Oh well, this was what I was expecting to happen anyway.

Most of my orders were cancelled, but The Death of Captain America Omnibus managed to sneak through.

Urgh. I read Jeph Loebs New Ultimates book. How is this man responsible for half of this universe these days? I love the Bendis and Millar stuff, how can they hand the rest entirely over to the man who fucking ruined it so bad with Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum?

Also, this book brings up a brave kid named Sam with a brain tumour. I'm not touching it, I'm leaving it there. You decide how you feel about it. I will mention that I still have NO IDEA what it had to do with the "plot" of the book, even in the most tangential sense.

From Emerald City Comic-Con, w/r/t

Lian's fridging in Cry for Justice #7

:

James Robinson: "That decision [was] a controversial and one that I know has been greeted with some displeasure by some people... I'm sorry if it upset people. In all honesty, they wanted to kill Speedy too, and I said no, so give me some credit for that."

Ian Sattler: "I'm happy it upset people because it means that the story had some weight and emotion."

Source

James Robinson: "That decision [was] a controversial and one that I know has been greeted with some displeasure by some people... I'm sorry if it upset people. In all honesty, they wanted to kill Speedy too, and I said no, so give me some credit for that."

Ian Sattler: "I'm happy it upset people because it means that the story had some weight and emotion."

Source

Congrats Ian, you're right behind Quesada's views on Spider-Man on my list of dumbest things I've heard relating to comics.

Speaking of which...

“To what level do I have to debase myself to get Spider-Man and Mary Jane back together?” The fan then threw out a couple of suggestions, including “I’ll even take a guest spot on ‘Heroes.’”

Quesada smiled and acknowledged the controversial un-marrying of the couple; however, he added that they have no plans to undo the undone. The EIC explained, “We worked too hard to get Peter to this point. I can understand why some of you want to see the characters grow old, but we have to manage these characters for the future – a future beyond you and me. A married Peter Parker – as cool as that may seem – from a creative standpoint, it handcuffs the character. It’s a very problematic thing for Peter because it cuts him off and makes Peter the oldest person in the book.

“It’s very tough to write because you want to see Peter and M.J. happy, and in a book where, really at its crust, is a soap opera about Peter’s life, the minute he gets everything he wants and life is happy, the stories get boring. So how do you create [the conflict the drama needs]? You have Mary Jane and Peter butt heads. But now you’re dealing with a marriage that isn’t a very happy marriage and they’re constantly bickering. From a story standpoint, you’ve gotta trust me on this, it sucked writing.”

The fan then countered that reading current stories of a single Peter Parker feels like treading over territory readers have been through before. Quesada responded, “I totally understand. But while it may feel like a retread to you, if I talked to a ten-year-old right now who just started reading Spider-Man a year and a half ago, this is totally brand new. And when you look at every iteration of Spider-Man out now – the movies, the cartoons – he’s a single guy.”

It dumbfounds me that three years later, Quesada still doesn't get it.

He's on drugs if he thinks a happy marriage can't be mined for good stories. They took Parker to a point where he was more than just a downtrodden teenager (boring) and made him a human being. Then they shat on it.

Hey retard. I was reading Spider-Man when I was ten and he was married then too. Guess what? It was my favorite book.