The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Look at Des and Megan! We get plenty of good stories out of them and they're happily married!

Good one. Joe is just acting on what we all think. Marriage is a living death, a voluntary imprisonment. Des and Meg may as well have hopping into the grave together for the rest of their lives. Joe is just trying to ensure that the same doesn't happen to Spidey. No-one can write a good story about a married person, they're inherently the least interesting people on the planet, because the ring actively reduces their mental capacity. Plus their spirit is worn down by all the nagging.

26207_389349472272_385542437272_4135460_2485294_n.jpg

According to the note on Facebook, George Perez was asked to draw Robin for a young fan. However, Perez neglected to ask if he wanted classic comic book Robin or the modern animated Robin. Since the Teen Titans cartoon was on the air at the time, he drew both the classic and animated versions.

Gene Ha posted this on his Facebook page:

Why Kirby was so good at drawing superheroes

A few minutes off coloring Mouse Guard... to bring you a reading from Mark Evanier's Kirby: King of Comics. Page 54:

"They had a winner in Captain America. Sales quickly shot past the million mark, ranking the new superhero with Superman, Batman, and other giants of the newsstand. 'Captain America put Goodman on the map,' Kirby recalled. 'His entire line went up fifty percent because of it.'

"Still, not everyone loved the flag-draped hero. There were threatening phone calls and anti-Semitic hate mail....

"Another time, Jack took a call. A voice on the other end said, 'There are three of us down here in the lobby. We want to see the guy who does this disgusting comic book and show him what real Nazis would do to his Captain America.' To the horror of the others in the office, Kirby rolled up his sleeves and headed down stairs. The callers, however, were gone by the time he arrived. Years later he told an interviewer, 'I once got a letter from a Nazi who told me to pick out any lamppost I wanted on Times Square, because when Hitler arrived, they'd hang me from it. It was typical of a genre of fans who have long since died out.'"

I think I just fell in love with Jack Kirby. :wub:

booksketch.jpg

For a limited time only, chrisgcomics.com is offering

the SKETCH & BOOK Package Deal!

A full-figure sketch of a character of your choice drawn by Chris G!

Sketches are drawn in black archival ink on 8.5x11 paper.

1 G-MAN: Learning to Fly digest

1 G-MAN: Cape Crisis #1 comic book, 2nd printing

All for just $25 shipped to the USA!

($30 to Canada. $45 other international.)

This package deal is ONLY available from chrisgcomics.com! Click on the corresponding button for your country to order online through PayPal.

The full-figure sketch shown to the right is an example. Many people choose characters that theyve seen in comics, but other characters are also acceptable with adequate source reference. If a character is unknown and no reference is available, you may choose a different character or cancel your order for a refund.

Design of brand new characters, drawing caricatures, multiple characters on a page, cover tributes, and/or anything beyond a single character on a page as outlined above are not available as part of this offer.

This is a great way to only get an awesome sketch (I've got an Alan Scott by Chris myself), but to also check out Chris Giarrusso's independent work.

This isn't about comics, but readers of Newsarama beware: Whenever I've attempted to launch the site today (using Chrome), I've been redirected to a page with a malware warning. So be careful. (And no, this isn't an April Fools joke on their part.)