The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, I've been reading through today's offering on scans_daily, and from what I understand, Marvel just undid everything that happened since Civil War, and Civil War itself.

...Can someone explain the logic of this to me?

There are still going to be repercussions from Civil War, I'm not sure how you think they're wiping it from the history. Tony Stark in particular is going to be dealing with a lot of issues regarding his own responsibility for those events and will second guess a lot of his big decisions. On top of that I think we are going to see Steve asking the same sort of questions, and the result being attempts by both to bring the hero community back together.

The fallout from Civil War was Dark Reign, and this follows of from that. Marvel haven't really done consequence-free events in a while, excepting World War Hulk. They're heavy on the continuity, I trust them with this.

In Invincible Iron Man #25, Tony and Thor have a chat. In it, Tony says though he can't remember what he did, he still did those things -- and would do them again to protect his friends. Nothing was undone.

That's lame. Tony's entire reasoning for starting the SHRA was that "it would be better than the alternative," with the alternative being chaos. Well, because of the Civil War, heroes were made into fugitives, and Starktech was widespread enough to allow for the Skrulls to invade with ease. On top of that, Norman Osborn was made the head of Shield Hammer, and he caused all kinds of crazy evil chaos. Oh, and CAPTAIN AMERICA DIED. The events following Civil War are exactly what Tony wanted to prevent. If anything, he should be repentant.

From Tom Brevoort's Formspring page:

Does Marvel own the Ultraverse? If so, how come nothing is done with it?

The Ultraverse characters are tangled up in some knotty situations due to certain terms under which they were purchased--and those terms also prevent me from talking about it any deeper than that. So until and unless that situation is sorted out in some way, there's not much chance that you'll see those characters again.

I've been wondering that for years, so it's nice to finally have some sort of an answer.

It’s the kind of thing that pops into your head and just clicks – who’s better suited to pen the adventures of a super-teen in middle America than Jeff Lemire, author of the touching, evocative ESSEX COUNTY and Vertigo’s SWEET TOOTH?

So, it makes perfect sense to announce today that Jeff Lemire, along with artist Pier Gallo, will be launching a SUPERBOY ongoing series later this year, with a special, one-off co-feature debuting in the August issue of ACTION COMICS (#892), which will give fans a primer for the full series.

What can readers expect from Lemire and Gallo? Well, let’s check in with the writer himself. Take it away, Jeff:

“I am really excited to be taking over the adventures of Conner Kent/Superboy in a new monthly series! The book will combine many of the classic touchstones of the Superboy mythos along with new supporting characters, new villains and new ideas, building a strong foundation that can support the Boy of Steel for years to come. I really want to work with our amazing artist Pier Gallo to combine a classic storytelling feel with a thoroughly modern sensibility and explore what it would really be like to be a super powered teenager, in the heart of rural America.”

And because it’s not a SOURCE announcement without some lovely art, here’s a look at one of Gallo’s prelim sketches of the Boy of Steel:

The picture mentioned.

DC Source

I just read that in Titans: Villains for hire:

Ryan Choi was killed. Leaving Ray Palmer as the one Atom.

Discuss.

I have no idea why people are so pissed off about this.

Because it's yet another pointless death, and of a legacy character to boot.

I just read that in Titans: Villains for hire:

Ryan Choi was killed. Leaving Ray Palmer as the one Atom.

Discuss.

I have no idea why people are so pissed off about this.

Because it's yet another pointless death, and of a legacy character to boot.

He was the character for a cup of coffee, no one cared about him when he was alive, and his predecessor is back. It's not like they killed Kyle Rayner to bring Hal back. Tell me one story he was in that was memorable for being good.

I mean, the reasons they kill him, to show how tough Deathstroke is, are really stupid. But the character means nothing to me outside of one Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode.

EDIT: Honestly, this is less a case of stupid character death, and more of a case of stupid character creation. Trying to shoehorn this guy into the legacy was given ten minutes of thought, and dropped within a couple of years.

He was the character for a cup of coffee, no one cared about him when he was alive, and his predecessor is back. It's not like they killed Kyle Rayner to bring Hal back. Tell me one story he was in that was memorable for being good.

I mean, the reasons they kill him, to show how tough Deathstroke is, are really stupid. But the character means nothing to me outside of one Batman: The Brave and the Bold episode.

EDIT: Honestly, this is less a case of stupid character death, and more of a case of stupid character creation. Trying to shoehorn this guy into the legacy was given ten minutes of thought, and dropped within a couple of years.

One Green Lantern question, and then a comment.

When Kyle Rayner was "The only Green Lantern" where were Guy and John?

Also, I've started reading the first JLI trade, and it might not have been intentional at that point, but I love how they set the seeds for Maxwell Lord's eventual heel turn on the League.

Yup. Evil from the beginning. Which is why i hate the "oh they made him a villain because they couldn't think of anything else" argument.

John was Kyle's backup for most of his run. At one point he was a Guardian. And he was also a Darkstar.

Guy was Warrior.

Guest TFG1Mike

Hey guys and gals I need help. I figured this was the best thread to use. I am writing a blog post on upcoming coverage of the Superman Films on MWIRE. I could have sworn that Superman IV had a movie novelization/adaptation book when it was released. I remember having and reading it, but can't find it anywhere on the internet. I'm talking about an actual book not a comic book. If anyone can find any info for me that would be great.