The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

Clark and Lois have never been done a disservice by being married.

Ohhhhhh yes they have. It doesn't bother me nearly as much, since I can actually buy Superman having a generally happy status quo, but yeah, the Lois/Clark/Superman triangle was one of the basic tenets of the entire story, especially after the post-crisis reboot. Exchanging it for resolution was an unnecessary move that only served to eliminate a central conflict.

Actually, Post-crisis, there was little to no love triangle. If anything, Lois had a crush on Superman but she fell in love with Clark first then found he ws Supes after accepting the proposal.

Let me ask this:

Disregarding the manner in which it was done ('cause, hey, there's no getting around that frak-up), do you think the Spider-Man comics are worse off now than they were before OMD?

Personally, no but any of these stories could have been told with the marriage in tact. Hell, the "Is MJ Jackpot?" thing could have actually been handled well in that case. The problem is that some of the changes just don't make sense and others like Peter living with Aunt May and her no longer being in the know are just downright stupid.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Actually, Post-crisis, there was little to no love triangle. If anything, Lois had a crush on Superman but she fell in love with Clark first then found he ws Supes after accepting the proposal.

That's what I meant, actually.

Let me ask this:

Personally, no but any of these stories could have been told with the marriage in tact. Hell, the "Is MJ Jackpot?" thing could have actually been handled well in that case. The problem is that some of the changes just don't make sense and others like Peter living with Aunt May and her no longer being in the know are just downright stupid.

Yeah, see, I don't think those stories could have been told without the changes. Definitely not the Peter-dating stuff, not the Harry Osborn subplot, not the Peter-being-out-on-his-own stuff... virtually none of it. I mean, if Peter's married to a model and best friends with Tony Stark, he's not gonna have financial problems, so that whole chunk of the story's out the window.

The MJ thing would've been interesting, I'll agree to that, but I think the fact that no one had even seen MJ or knew where she was really added to the mystery.

Let me ask this:

Disregarding the manner in which it was done ('cause, hey, there's no getting around that frak-up), do you think the Spider-Man comics are worse off now than they were before OMD?

Yes. The marriage issue aside, prior to OMD, the Spider-Man titles each had their own individual voice. Amazing Spider-Man was the flagship title that was connected directly to the Marvel U, Sensational told a mix of character pieces and more offbeat stories (not to mention the best Venom story ever written), and Friendly Neighborhood had Peter David's trademark humor while rebuilding his supporting cast. The line was in great shape before Marvel unnecessarily complicated things.

I mean, if Peter's married to a model and best friends with Tony Stark, he's not gonna have financial problems, so that whole chunk of the story's out the window.

Except he had punched Tony in the face right before OMD. And there are a million reasons for a model to fall out of favor. Solid argument otherwise, but I'm not buying this part.

I've seen people pissing and moaning about JRJR's rendition of Judge Dredd, but I don't get it. Why all the negativity?

JRJR+Dredd+flat.jpg

I was literally just over at a friend's house discussing this. He's a huge 2000AD fan and he was asking why people were complaining too. I think the only thing you can question slightly is the fact that you can see his eye through the visor, but that just about it. Aside from that it looks great.

I agree, I kind of want to read THAT* Dredd story.

*The only 2000AD I've read is the Batman crossovers and the one storyline where a circus thing comes to town and people can live all the sins they want.

LOGAN bolts up from bed. A shower is seen through a door in the background. He walks across the room pulls the curtain back to reveal JEAN GRAY.

LOGAN: Jean! I thought you were dead!

JEAN: Oh, I was but now I'm back again.

LOGAN: I had such a nightmare. The Hulk was red, most of the mutants got blinked out for no real reason, Gwen Stacy got knocked up by Norman Osborn, I was an Avenger and gained the ability to be in 30 places at once, and Mephisto became a divorce attorney.

JEAN: It's all right Logan. Scott, Kitty, and Beast are out in the Mystery Machine and we're going to find out if Onslaught is Old Man Magneto.

I can't be the only one who wants to see Will writing some comics now, can I?

Razor Fist might be the worst comic book villain of all time. He always gets schooled, he has no superpowers and can't even dress or use the bathroom by himself. He's hilariously lame. I mean, Doc Ock at least has the four big arms. Razorfist just has knives where his hands should be. He couldn't even rob a bank, he wouldn't be able to pick up the money!

86877-15166-razorfist_large.jpg

Razor Fist. He sucks.

I only mentioned Razor fist because he popped up in the X-force book I reviewed for IIWY this week. He's just so goddamn lame and yet ever since I first saw him in the Toxin mini series (because a freakin symbiote should fear this man why?) he's been randomly popping up in the Marvel U on a regular basis. Can someone PLEASE tell me what editor has a hard-on for this guy to the extent that he is EVER featured in a comic at all, let alone multiple titles over several years?

I mean, if I ever come across something worse than a Babychest I'm going to call it Razor Fist.

I mean, if I ever come across something worse than a Babychest I'm going to call it Razor Fist.

I think we need a new grading scale, one that only uses comic book characters or elements of characters. So far we have:

Babychest: Just plain stupid. Insulting, even.

Razor Fist: So bad, you won't even wipe your ass with it.

"Oh no honey, it's Razor Fist coming up to the front door of our home to kill us and our pink vulnerable children! Whatever shall we do?"

"Just don't answer the door sweetheart, he's bound to get bored and go away again at some point"

Razor Fist. This man cannot even open the vast majority of doors. I'm pretty sure a villain who had super-strength exclusively in his buttocks would be scarier. Please, someone, find a lamer villain. The gauntlet has been thrown down, find a worse bad guy than Razor Fist.