The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

Currently I'm reading Justice League of America #60, and I officially think James Robinson is a hack. Outside of Leave it to Chance, I've hated everything I've read of his, and this issue of JLA is no exception.

Is it just me, or does this issue feel like a M*A*S*H style conclusion to everything this version of the JLA have done, before walking off and going into the sunset and saying "Fuck saving the Universe, I'm going on vacation."

I could actually hear the M*A*S*H theme in my head as they all left the sattelite, it's a real shame that I just couldn't care about any of them, or their reasons for leaving the JLA.

Donna's reason for not being in DCnU:

Simply put, she's sick of being a superhero, and wants to return to life as a photographer, and just pretty much forget Donna Troy ever happened.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Currently I'm reading Justice League of America #60, and I officially think James Robinson is a hack. Outside of Leave it to Chance, I've hated everything I've read of his, and this issue of JLA is no exception.

I have enormous fondness for The Golden Age, and I know I liked Starman more than you did, but lately, yeah, it's been a loooooong time since anything he wrote impressed me.

Seconded, he wrote some great stuff in the 90's, but like Jeph Loeb somewhere along the way he lost his talent.

See, and I think that's the problem. From what little I've read of Starman, it seems like it was not only written in the 90s, but written for the 90s. So it doesn't hold up.

And you're right, Suave. Most of their reasons for quitting were beyond stupid, and made them seem like a bunch of whiny assholes. Has there been another Justice League team that resigned because they came down with bouts of meh? Seriously, this issue felt like teenagers deciding to quit the ecology club, not superheroes ending the fucking Justice League.

The more I talk about it, the madder I get.

See, and I think that's the problem. From what little I've read of Starman, it seems like it was not only written in the 90s, but written for the 90s. So it doesn't hold up.

I don't think it feels like it was written for the 90's. A lot of the styles fashion-wise and so forth are symptomatic of that era but then it also has big chunks of every decade going back to the 40's and even before that, it's one of the comic's gimmicks. The actual tone of the stories swing between classic 50's space adventure, 70's new age heroism and the gritty post-watchmen 80's. It's far from the first book I think of when talking about prototypical 90's comics.

The cover of the new Uncanny X-Men #1 has been revealed (minus the silhouettes), and the team is:

Emma, Cyclops, Magneto, Magik, Danger, and Colossus with Juggernaut's helmet. (Oddly, Peter seems to be covered in metal, except for the portion under the helmet.)

Also, is this the first time Colossus and Magik have been on a team together?

Hmm. Pretty far from my ideal team right there. But hey, my favourite X-men team of recent years was the one lead by Rogue and made up mostly of villains.

I'm guessing Colossus lost his powers somehow and made a deal with Cyttorak who took the powers from Juggernaut post-Fear Itself.

Hmm. Pretty far from my ideal team right there. But hey, my favourite X-men team of recent years was the one lead by Rogue and made up mostly of villains.

I'm guessing Colossus lost his powers somehow and made a deal with Cyttorak who took the powers from Juggernaut post-Fear Itself.

In the last Fear Itself X-Men tie-in, Cytorrak - whose dimension they went to to try and stop Juggy - was pissed that Marko was causing havoc in another god's name, so he chose a new avatar on Earth. Pete pushed Magik away and accepted the gem. The issue ended with him in the helmet, acting as though the gem changed him, mentally. Which makes no sense at all, really, since it never changed Marko's mental state.

With Kitty watching and crying the whole time. Why do the X-Men writers hate Kitty Pryde being happy?

He has the right to be pissed at Marvel, but he needs to learn some professionalism. He also has to remember that Marvel is now owned wholly by Disney. And, of course, Disney owns a lot of media companies. If one high-ranking Disney executive gets wind of this, Marko can kiss plenty of potential jobs goodbye. Hell, if any executive at any company learns he's the type to publicly whine about old jobs, they surely won't hire him for fear of the same. Right now, he needs to post a statement saying he was in the heat of the moment (twice), and lost his cool. He enjoyed his time at Marvel, and worked with wonderful creators and editors.

The Gen X thing was co-writing with Warren Ellis, and was about 11 years ago. Still, good attention to detail, he also co-wrote a thing with Ellis for Marvel in 2008.

Haven't read DV8 so I wasn't aware it was slightly super-related. I mean, Demo has people with abilities and stuff too, but for the most part he writes straight human-based stuff without the extras. I certainly never thought he'd write Wolverine or someone like that.

If he writes Wolverine, I can see it being a non-costume Wolverine, just the jacket, jeans, and wifebeater. Honestly, you can do some non-superhero stuff with Wolverine, it just becomes a guy with a healing factor and metal claws going against the japanese mafia or just taking out murderers with super-powers. Of those books, X-Force is the only Wolverine-centric book that's strictly superhero related.