The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm about 50 issues into rereading the old Marvel UK transformers series, and it's bringing back some real memories (last time I'd have seen some of these I'd have been about 9). The start is shaky but I honestly don't mind, I've had those collected in old-school hardback since I was kid so I know those stories well. I'm still enjoying them and looking forward to the classic stories later on.

At the point now in the classic Transformers books where the book is split into two stories, one main (that I think was shared with the US) and a backup British black and white story, and it's reminding me how awesome some of the black and white art was. Andy Wildman in particular is brilliant, it's no surprise that the final big storylines in this book are drawn by him-

Transformers_UK_217_p09.png

tumblr_ldft5rrNBX1qzvjovo1_500.jpg

Wrote this up after a guy on the Oratory asked out trade recommendations for Marvel and DC in the last ten years, thought it was worth reposting here-

Top 6 recommendations for mainstream Marvel and DC books from the last decade-

Daredevil by Bendis & Maleev. Best street level superhero of the last decade. It's hardcore, gripping and pretty much awesome from beginning to end. Won Best Ongoing Comic at the Eisners in 2003, as well as Bendis picking up best writer for this and the next book on my list. Start with the first of their three paperback Ultimate Collections.

Alias by Bendis & Gaydos. Jessica Jones, former superhero and current private detective, explores cases in New York, interacting with Luke Cage, Daredevil (heavily tied into that book), Spider-man, the Avengers and more. Awesome mature title looking at the underbelly of New Yorks hero scene. Start with Volume 1 of 4.

Gotham Central by Brubaker, and Lark- Gotham's Major Crimes Unit tries to deal with their job solving big cases in a city where justice is overshadowed by the Batman. I wrote an article on it for earth-2.net recently, 4th down. Do check out the other recommendations in the article, they're all worth a look. For Gotham Central start with Vol 1: In the Line of Duty but be sure to check out Vol 2: Half a Life, it's the one they won the Eisner Award for.

Nextwave by Ellis & Immonen- One of the funniest comics I've read in years, so all around awesome it was retroactively integrated into mainstream Marvel continuity. All the characters existed in Marvel already, but they totally changed how most people see for instance Machine Man, who is now awesome. Start with Vol 1 of 2.

Formerly Known as the Justice League & I Can't Believe it's not the Justice League by Giffen & Dematteis- Probably the only books I'd say were funnier than Nextwave. The Justice League International characters and creative team reunite and they're better than ever, working freelance out of a street level shop and calling themselves the SuperBuddies. Start with Formerly Known

All Star Superman by Morrison and Quitely. Morrison embraces the best of Superman's varied and incredible Silver Age history and creates what is probably the best book of the last ten years. It's really that good all around. Funny, inspirational, moving and beautifully drawn. Best thing anyone has done with Superman ever, it got tonnes of awards, including Eisners for Best New Series (2006) and Best Continuing Series twice (2007 & 2009). You can start with Vol 1 of 2, but I'd just get the hardback Absolute collection and be done with it.

Other stuff that's worth a look- Ultimate Spider-man, the current Amazing Spider-man, Batman & Robin by Morrison, Green Lantern by Geoff Johns, Dark Avengers, Captain America by Brubaker, Thor by JMS, Spider-man Loves Mary Jane and frankly a dozen other titles I can't think of right now.

Don't restrict yourself with just Marvel and DC's mainstream stuff though, the same writers turn out stuff that's just as great outside of that. Fine examples include Walking Dead, Invincible, Hellblazer by Mike Carey, DMZ, Y: the Last Man, Powers, Sleeper and many many more. Walking Dead in particular has been a very popular starting point for non-comics fans.

If you're looking for recommendations check out my podcast segment on Earth-2.net: The Show- Waiting for the Trade. Each week myself and Kenny Evil from this very board check out two upcoming and one previous trade. Just did our opening edition in episode 478 and we're monthly, although the segment without us (with Mike & Dan) goes back a couple of years so if you're looking for opinions just go back through and have a listen.

Hope that helps!

I'm reading the Time Masters trade that DC put out after 52, which collects the Rip Hunter stories from the 80's, and you know, I'm really enjoying it. It also has a nice moment with the JLI in one issue.

Also, I've just read my first X-Factor comic, featuring Mystique, and it's got me interested in reading some X-Men stories, so can anyone recommend any trades or essentials that are not impossible to read without ten years of knowledge of the X-Men comics?

Yep, there's three Ultimate Collections that collect the entire run.

I would also recommend the Excalibur Classic trades if you can find them. Excalibur is a British team that incorporates some of the X-Men. One of the most fun comics I've ever read and a lot of it is drawn by Alan Davis.

As for current series, Uncanny X-Force is a great action book while taking the time to look deeper into the characters.

Yep, there's three Ultimate Collections that collect the entire run.

I would also recommend the Excalibur Classic trades if you can find them. Excalibur is a British team that incorporates some of the X-Men. One of the most fun comics I've ever read and a lot of it is drawn by Alan Davis.

As for current series, Uncanny X-Force is a great action book while taking the time to look deeper into the characters.

I'll go on amazon and look and see some of those now.

Thanks, Chris.

I like the way Bendis is structuring the new Ultiamte Spider-man series. It felt quite slow until now but it seems clear that the defining point in Miles Morales' life is most likely going to be Spider-man getting shot, which is as it should be. They're not mirroring the whole deal, this is a Spider-man with almost the opposite background to Peter, his parents are alive and his Uncle is a two-bit criminal. He's confided in a friend about his powers early on. We've seen him do heroic things and now we're finally going to get over the hump he has about not wanting abilities. It's good stuff. I'm obviously a little impatient for him to get stuck into it all and start interacting with the old Spidey cast but I understand why Bendis isn't rushing into that. Good stuff so far.