The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Watching Batman: Year 1, I have to ask and wonder. Has there ever been an elseworlds story where Jim Gordon goes to Gotham, and Batman never actually shows up? I mean never, not like Gotham Central, where you know he's out there, I mean a proper story, where Batman never existed, and Gordon and the GCPD would have to deal with crimes, not be like Batman, just being the regular police force that they are, with no help from superheroes, just Gotham VS crime. Would there still be a Joker, would Dent still become Two-Face, would The Penguin, and the rest of the Rogues come to Gotham.

It would be nice if there was a story like that, that existed, as I would love to read it.

Just shifting a discussion from Twitter between Mike and Myself re Manhunter. To recap-

Earth-2

I just started reading Manhunter by Marc Andreyko, and I have a question: Are we supposed to like Kate?

Don't take that to mean I dislike the book. It's okay so far. I just want to know if she's supposed to be likable, or even relatable.

rabidstavros77

No, she's really just supposed to be a self-made vigilante like Batman or Punisher. These aren't likeable sorts at first.

Earth-2

At least we understand the motivations of Bruce and Frank. Kate, I'm unclear about her. To avenge one lost trial, Kate steals her costume and weapon from a Federal building, and murders someone. Had she noted that Copperhead was the third super-crook to get free and rampage after a failed LA trial I'd go with it. But as it stands, her motivation is unclear. Was she serving revenge or simply venting about her lost case? Furthermore, she's a dick to her ex, barely pays attention to her son nearly gets her boy killed, blackmails someone into working for her, and she treats everyone like dirt. It's very poor characterization. I have no problem with bastard characters. I love Damian Wayne, after all. But they need to have some redeeming quality.

I think we see the redeeming quality in how she responds to those initial failures. The whole idea of Manhunter is to create a vigilante who's a little more realistic than the normal scientist in an accident or avenger looking to right what happened to their family. Kate's a criminal lawyer, someone who will have seen more injustice than anyone in society. She's deeply flawed and frustrated by the fact that her personal and professional lives meet with disaster and is trying to find some way of taking control and actually coping. In the DC universe being a superhero fits with that.

I'm not going to spoil it all too much but suffice to say Kate becomes far more empathetic. She has an arc throughout the books and it makes a lot of sense the way they play it. Yes, she's an asshole to start, but it's still an enjoyable book from my perspective. She's not without merit, she wants to try to fix her life but has no idea how, through the arc we're going to see her find ways to achieve this. I think it's worthwhile, and I don't think she's worse than say a lead character in Brubaker's Criminal for example.

You can't really compare it to Criminal because, based on the title, going in we're prepared to accept that the characters are less than desirable members of society. So when they act like assholes, you understand it's for greed or power or due to deep-rooted childhood trauma. When a DA acts like a dick to her son, ex, and unwilling assistant, it makes me step back for a moment. I'm not saying every DA is a shining, virtuous human being, but one that's a superhero should have some initial spark of goodness that readers can point to as a reminder that she is person of merit despite her flaws. So far, that's lacking.

Along those lines, I'm six issues in and so far she has ruined multiple lives: her son suffered major head trauma while in her care, and nearly died; her ex had to alter every aspect of his life to take care of the boy; her assistant's wife left with their child because Kate showed up at his house to blackmail him; and, this one might be a stretch, had she not pissed off Shadow Thief, he might not have gone on to kill Firestorm.

I'm sure she'll have some sort of turn; she'll look at her life and the mess she's made of it, and attempt to right her wrongs. But so far she's too much of a rampaging wreck for me to care about.

Again though, I will keep reading. Despite Kate's many flaws (RE: poor characterization), the series is worth my time -- for the moment.

If that's the vibe you're getting that's fine, it's just different to how I saw it. I'm not sure why a vigilante superhero who crosses that line and kills people should have some great redeeming characteristics in the classic superhero sense, they clearly already have a very different moral centre to guys like Batman and Co. Wouldn't some of them theoretically be closer to being villains than heroes? The odds alone should allow for some seriously messed up people throwing on tights and taking justice into their own hands. The only real upside from a reader's perspective to Frank Castle is some sympathy because his family got killed. Manhunter has a slow burn on Kate's backstory and I liked that about it.

I don't think Manhunter's the greatest book ever (it falls off a cliff late on imo), but it's certainly one of the more interesting solo character titles DC put out in the last ten years, an attempt to do something a little different.

• 2 weeks later...

This story moved on the Associated Press this morning:

Flame On! Marvel reignites the Human Torch

By MATT MOORE

Associated Press

PHILADELPHIA (AP) — Where's Johnny Storm? In the latest issue of Marvel Comics' "Fantastic Four."

Issue No. 600, out Wednesday, marks the first time since January the classic team created by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby is back to its original roster: Mr. Fantastic, The Thing, the Invisible Woman and Johnny Storm, aka the Human Torch, who was last seen perishing in what looked to be an all-out brawl against the minions of the Negative Zone.

Though it has only been 10 months since Marvel killed the Human Torch, death in the comics is rarely, if ever, a permanent condition.

How and why the Torch — who, along with the rest of the Fantastic Four launched Marvel's silver age 50 years ago — has returned to the living is yet to be told. But Tom Breevort, senior vice president for publishing at Marvel, told The Associated Press it's a tale that will be told in No. 600 and future issues.

"There's about 100 pages of story to tell just that," Brevoort said of Storm's return in issue 600.

Death is no stranger to the Fantastic Four. Sue Storm, the Invisible Woman, supposedly died, but that was just a ruse. Similarly, her husband, Reed Richards, aka Mr. Fantastic, was thought to be dead after being caught in a blast with his archenemy, Dr. Doom. Instead of death, however, Richards and his nemesis were snatched away to another dimension.

Brevoort said the new issue, which marks the title's return since No. 588 was published, makes it clear that Storm wasn't just hibernating or being held in a comatose state.

"Yes, he did die. He died a couple of times," Brevoort said, adding that writer Jonathan Hickman had outlined the plans for a return months ago so readers won't "feel cheated or disappointed in the slightest."

Hickman's plans will also be unveiled in the ongoing series "FF," which Marvel launched after the death of the Torch. It not only replaced the "Fantastic Four" but told the story of the surviving teammates, plus Spider-Man, too.

"'FF' will also continue, and Jon will be writing both of them. They will both function as sister titles," Brevoort said. "One focusing on the core four and the other focusing on the Future Foundation and the broader base of characters that we have assembled."

Not a surprise to anyone, but why off him in the first place?

• 2 weeks later...

Those are awesome. In a different topic, I don't think I've read a comic in weeks, and I don't really mind. I've just not felt the need to read comics as much as I used to. I'm not saying DCnU has soured me to comics, it's just a coincidence that it was around that time that I just kind of fell out of interest with the medium as a whole. I'm probably just going to let this lull ride it's course, and try and get back into comics at some later point, when it will feel fun to read comics, again.

I know what you mean. I was a VORACIOUS comics reader for years and years and years, and then one day I realized that I had not set foot in a comic shop in months. I've been playing with Comixology now that I have the new tablet (I tried playing with it on my iPod, but iPods SUCK fr comic reading) and it's been fun to read some old books in this format at under $2 a pop, and Amazon has a few dozen DC trades available for download as well, but I don't really feel any drive to visit my LCS anymore.