The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I disapprove. Captain Marvel is one of the all time awesome superhero names.

Somewhere, Joe Quesada, and the other big wigs at Marvel Comics, are giving you the thumbs up then looking at their own character that has that name and using it to wipe their ass except for where required to keep the copyright since they're that kid that bought the last of the candy just to say fuck you.

Fixed.

Didn't they do this already?

Plus the current Marvel version is call Protector or something. Does nobody want this damn name after fighting for it for so long? Genis changed to Photon. Monica Rambeau changed to Photon and then to Pulsar. Phyla-Vell changed to Quasar and then Martyr. The only bloody characters who kept the bloody name for more than five minutes is the dead marvel one and the DC one, and even he's just giving up on it now. Won't somebody use this awesome name?

I miss Genis-Vell. One of my all time favourite comic-book characters.

That's the annoying thing. Marvel obviously doesn't want the awesome name. They'd rather twiddle their thumbs and release a one-shot that lets them keep the copyright every two years or so then do another ongoing. From a creative stand point, they've had a pretty good run with Characters named Captain Marvel. Hell, if it comes down to it, Carol Danvers can drop the Miss and become Captain Marvel. She was in the military. It evens works there. Seriously, either commit to using the name or just let DC have it since they at least seem to make a solid attempt at it.

I always thought it was weird that Captain Marvel was one of the big DC heroes; it took me a good few years and a couple of comic book history documentaries to understand the whole thing.

Sure, to us comic fans, Captain Marvel being a DC hero makes all the sense in the world, but that's because we live in an infinitely-detailed-yet-tiny bubble. Continuity and history, especially when applied to a B- or C-list character, shouldn't override common sense. Shazam isn't that great of a name, but at least it makes sense.

And again, I thought they did this years ago. Captain Marvel hasn't been Captain Marvel for years, when the Wizard Shazam was killed fighting the Spectre during Infinite Crisis I thought Billy took his place then, and Capt Marvel Jr became his replacement under the name Shazam. Then the entire family went evil for no fucking reason and were basically a dead loss until the reboot.

I've only recently found out about Mike Kunkel's run on Captain Marvel. That seems like a fantastic fit, shame that they killed it after four issues.

DC's finally announced their worst kept secret since Superman coming back to life

Got to give them this: That's a very strong set of talent. It'll be great to see Andy and Joe Kubert team up.

Other future DC projects:

V: The Larkhill Years

Dr Gull, Medicine Man

Evey Hammond and the Mystery of the Disappearing Patels

I've only recently found out about Mike Kunkel's run on Captain Marvel. That seems like a fantastic fit, shame that they killed it after four issues.

From what I heard. Mike Kunkel was incredibly late with the book, with writing and drawing it, so Baltazar and Franco were brought on to write, and Kunkel to draw the book, but Mike never came back. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)

It's a shame as the Baltazar and Franco issues of Billy Batson were a lot of fun to read.

Y'know, after Teen Titans, Green Lantern, and now Aquaman, I'd think that people would have less snark towards Johns reboots.

To be fair to the people angry about this, I think they are taking their protests from what they saw of Johns writing of Shazam in the Flashpoint mini-series.

DC's finally announced their worst kept secret since Superman coming back to life

Got to give them this: That's a very strong set of talent. It'll be great to see Andy and Joe Kubert team up.

Other future DC projects:

V: The Larkhill Years

Dr Gull, Medicine Man

Evey Hammond and the Mystery of the Disappearing Patels

Sandman 1 1/2: Hakuna Matata starring Brute & Glob.

Chris Weston's cover for 2000AD's 35th birthday Prog

90.jpg

Based on this Brian Bolland piece from 1983

2000%2BAD%2B%25231.jpg

Apparently there's two variants. Normally I see variants as a way to cynically bilk customers into paying for the same comic twice. In my case, it will probably work. Damned 2000AD. They should be revealing the other one soon.