The leisurely comic discussion thread

Aaron Robinson

For any fans of The Losers, Andy Diggle and Jock have just started a creator owned story in the judge Dredd Megazine #322 called Snapshot about a guy who finds a hitman's smartphone and sees some pictures he shouldn't have seen. It also comes with a reprint of Purgatory, a story by Mark Millar and Carlos Ezquerra which features some great art by Ezquerra and a story that... well, it's early Mark Millar sci fi, so you pretty much know what to expect.

Also, 2000AD's releasing digital issues 48 hours after print editions

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=37792

Almost same day and date but not quite.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Pretty cool. I kind of like the Manga style digest size but these look like they'll be very pretty.

Last American is being re-released digitally http://www.comicbookbin.com/The_Last_American_Is_Back.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

It's a series about a solider who was cryogenically frozen so that he could restore order to America after the Apocalypse only to find that there's no longer an America to restore order to. Forbidden Planet did a feature on it a while ago http://forbiddenplanet.co.uk/blog/2011/reprint-please-the-last-american/

This is easily worth $5 for those of you with devices capable of reading this.

• 3 weeks later...

2000AD has gone same day digital and they've chosen a pretty good issue to start off with.

For most of the last year, 2000AD has been running the Judge Dredd story "Day of Chaos". 30 years ago Mega City 1 was involved in a devastating nuclear war with East Meg 1 (a far future version of the USSR. This was written during the middle of the Cold War after all). When I say devastating, that's not an exaggeration as half of Mega City One was obliterated and the Apocalypse War, as it was known, ended with Dredd completely destroying East Meg One, killing half a billion people and placing him as just behind Jean Grey/The Phoenix as comics' biggest mass murderer. Tom and I covered this in our first podcast.

So thirty years have passed and the small number of East Meg survivors have not been idle. They've seeded children into Mega City One's Judge system, developed deadly viruses and made an alliance with all of Mega City One's enemies (and over the years they've made quite a lot) all with a view of unleashing the deadliest assault that Mega City One has experienced since The Apocalypse War. Now, in addition to the deadly and very infectious virus, the missile attacks from terrorist groups and the open, armed insurrection in the streets, they've decided to unleash something that increases the scale of the shitstorm the judges are experiencing.

2000ad-1781-636x844.jpeg

Pictured above are three of the four Dark Judges: Fear, Fire and Mortis. The Dark Judges are evil fiends from another dimension where they took the law to its ultimate extreme: since all life is committed by the living then life itself must be a crime. They killed everyone on their world centuries ago and have since gone to Mega City One to bring judgement to every other dimension. At one point they managed to take over Mega City One itself and killed 15 million people. They've been kept under the highest level security in the world for the last 14 years, during which time their leader Judge Death managed to escape, murder many more people before being dragged to Hell by the spirits of his victims.

Under the best of circumstances a visit by the Dark Judges would be a disaster and the current circumstances are far from ideal.

To catch you up, here are the last two episodes of Dredd: Day of Chaos and a helpful primer from 2000AD.

I need to make sure I'm straight on something: There have been five ongoing, core Justice League series, correct? The original 1960 series, the 1987 book that became Justice League International, Grant Morrison's 1997 JLA, the 2006 Justice League of America, and the current DCnU title. (Obviously I'm excluding Justice League Dark, JLA Classified, the DCAU tie-in books, etc.)

The 60s books was Justice League of America. The 80s book was Justice League which would become Justice League International with #7 and #26 would become Justice League America (Apparently the "of" was extreme enough). Justice League Europe ended up becoming Justice League International with #51. Other 90s series included Justice League Task Force and Extreme Jusice. They all got canceled for JLA in 97. Post Infinite Crisis we finally got Justice League of America Vol. 1. Now, with the DCnu, we have Justice League Vol. 2.

I just read an issue of Marvel team up, where The Thing teamed up with Black Goliath, to take on the Hijacker. At the end of the issue, The Thing unmasks the hijacker, who is about to reveal who he is, when The Thing just shouts "I don't care" and throws him against a wall, knocking the Hijacker out.

The Thing is awesome.

I just read an issue of Marvel team up, where The Thing teamed up with Black Goliath, to take on the Hijacker. At the end of the issue, The Thing unmasks the hijacker, who is about to reveal who he is, when The Thing just shouts "I don't care" and throws him against a wall, knocking the Hijacker out.

The Thing is awesome.

HA! I have to read that! What issue is that?

The Thing is awesome.

HA! I have to read that! What issue is that?

Marvel_Two-In-One_24.jpg

I was off a bit about what happens, checking up, what The Thing actually says is "I didn't ask. See this finger?" and flicks The Hijacker across the room.

Marvel Two-In-One is, hands down, my all time favorite book. The very first comic I ever bought with my own money was a Marvel Two-In-One. The Thing is a paragon of awesome, and that book just GOT him.

Marvel Two-In-One is, hands down, my all time favorite book. The very first comic I ever bought with my own money was a Marvel Two-In-One. The Thing is a paragon of awesome, and that book just GOT him.

What he said, but switch Marvel Team-Up for Marvel Two-in-One and Spider-Man for The Thing. Good times.

If you read DC's FCBD Preview for Trinity War, you see the DCNU origins of two characters:

The Phantom Stranger and The Question are now cursed ancient characters with ties to the purple hooded chick, Pandora. With Stranger, that's a poor storytelling decision, but it makes some sense. This likely reinvention of The Question, however, may make me drop DC comics, outside of Frankenstien and Animal Man. It violates everything that has ever worked for the character, be it Ditko's Objectivist, Denny's Buddhist or Rick Veicht's Urban Shaman. I'm pissed.

I knew about the Stranger from the Justice League trade I just read, but had no idea on the other one. Could be taken as a Sandman-style evolution of the name, so I won't hate on it completely yet but then Sandmans an awful high bar to leap.

I'm reading it now. ...Yeah. This is dumb. Really, really dumb.

So the Trinity are some people who were punished by the proto Justice Magic League for being the worst people ever. The Stranger was apparently the result of the guy's greed (for what??), the Question defies authority and is left forever questioning who he is and searching for the answers as a result (why?), and Pandora is punished for opening the box that unleashed all the terror for being evil and her own curiousity.

The fuck?

Also, apparently Steve Trevor is in charge of the equivalent of the warehouse in Indiana Jones, Cyborg is important or something, and Batman is fighting a not Green Lantern, and it's all his fault.

I got nothing.

Also, out of the FCBD pickings I'm going through so far, Archaia's really wants me to find more trades of theirs at some point.