The Star Wars Saga on Blu-Ray

From StarWars.com:

bdme_img.jpg

The Star Wars saga will at long last be released in a high-definition home video format as all six movies come to Blu-Ray in a Box Set in Fall 2011, as announced by George Lucas this morning at Celebration V. At the fan convention's Main Event, thousands of Star Wars fans braved the muggy heat of an Orlando morning to queue for a one-time only stage session between George Lucas and The Daily Show's Jon Stewart. Stewart asked Lucas questions submitted from the fan community, and one of the most frequently asked questions submitted online prior to the Main Event was about the saga's release on Blu-Ray.

"I wish I could say it was coming out this year," said Lucas, "but it will come out next year."

The set will feature all six live-action Star Wars feature films, with the highest picture and audio quality, along with extensive special features.

Star Wars fans were treated to a glimpse of bonus material, in the form of a long-lost deleted scene from Return of the Jedi. The scene has long been talked about online -- a sequence that depicts Luke Skywalker assembling his new, green-bladed lightsaber prior to infiltrating Jabba the Hutt's palace. After completing the Jedi weapon, Luke stashes it in R2-D2's dome. What makes the Jedi deleted clip so remarkable is that it made it all the way to postproduction before it was cut, so it is a rare example of a cut scene with completed visual effects and music.

Actor Mark Hamill came out to describe the scene, remarking that once again his original introduction in a Star Wars film was cut out (his Anchorhead introduction was, of course, cut from A New Hope). Luke's intro is purposely played as ominous, with his face cowled in shadows and his intentions unclear."I had the black cloak, the glove, and I thought, wow, this time around I get to be the antagonist. Little did I know I was predicting the path of the prequels," said Hamill, noting the similarities to Luke in this scene and Anakin Skywalker's appearance.

Keep checking StarWars.com for more updates from Celebration V as the weekend continues.

The aforementioned deleted scene:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdJ0E7HbTKc

Sounds pretty great. They're actually going back to the dozens of filmed scenes for the Original Trilogy that have never been released until now. I can't wait.

Honestly, I don't care if it's for the money. I still want it.

Besides, apparently the live-action TV series is on hold because they don't have the massive funding it'd require. (Which kinda makes sense, when you consider that Lucasfilm really only gets money from Star Wars, Indy, and ILM.) So if my paying for SW Blu-Ray goes toward a live-action show, I'm all for it.

If my PS3 wasn't messed up I'd see about getting this. I saw the LOTR Blu-Ray in the store the other day and wanted to cry.

Don't be. It's theatrical release. They're releasing the extended editions later on.

Exactly. The Extended cuts are so superior that it's not even worth going back to the theatrical films.

If my PS3 wasn't messed up I'd see about getting this. I saw the LOTR Blu-Ray in the store the other day and wanted to cry.

Don't be. It's theatrical release. They're releasing the extended editions later on.

Exactly. The Extended cuts are so superior that it's not even worth going back to the theatrical films.

Oh no you didn't!