Kinect

JackFetch

Oops. I accidentally put this in general and not Microsoft. Please move it.

They are actually making an adult game for Kinect!

oday, Ubisoft® announced Fighters Uncaged, a new fighting game that will be available worldwide in November 2010 exclusively for KinectTM on Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft. Developed by AMA Studios, Fighters Uncaged will deliver players the excitement of real fighting competitions, in addition to teaching players mixed martial arts techniques.

“Fighters Uncaged is the first motion fighting game for Kinect, dedicated to a core audience,” said Caroline Stevens, EMEA director of marketing at Ubisoft. “Fighters Uncaged requires players to get out of their seat to engage in a controller-free full-body combat game and experience the authentic fighting style of Thai boxing.”

Leveraging the Kinect technology, Fighters Uncaged delivers players an immersive total-body combat experience. Players will be able to create 70 different strikes inspired by martial arts and compete in 21 different fighting environments such as rooftops, dark alleys, gritty city docks and abandoned church. Included are diverse opponents with unique fighting styles, devastating combos with voice-activated super strikes, opportunities to upgrade your character by unlocking new skills and a jump-in multiplayer feature to take your enemies down with your friends.

Trailer

Since I don't have a black belt I'll look pretty ridiculous playing this, so I'll do it in the privacy of my own living room. I can't wait to pull a hammy playing a video game. Oh, and yes I know it looks terrible.

• 1 month later...

I know "real gamers" are making fun of it, but the Kinect is going to be fucking huge. The UK will have a shortage on launch day, and the pre sales are through the roof. Microsoft even said the launch will be bigger than the launch for the 360 was and are treating it like it's the next generation of consoles, so expect to see it everywhere soon.

Hey, if the mainstream public wants to flail around to play games, I will gladly get the popcorn and laugh my ass off at them.

And you know who else will be laughing? The developers, all the way to the bank.

Remind me, the Kinect is just an add-on, right?

I will repeat what I said on Extra Lives: if your models cannot figure out how to work the technology in order to properly show off the game, you're doing it wrong.

I think people are overestimating Kinect's appeal to the masses. It's not like the Wii, which (A) had a physical controller that you could hold, and (B) was an entire system designed from the ground-up specifically for that type of control.

The Xbox 360 is still the Xbox 360; it's just got a shiny new camera on top of it. That's not gonna be good enough for a lot of the people that Microsoft thinks they'll be bringing in.

The dance game is also supposedly the only game that really works on Kinect.

It'd be good enough if the entire system were designed for Kinect, but users are still going to have to figure out the Xbox 360 to do that first.

My grandpa could figure out the Wii, and use it. There's no way he'd figure out (or be able to use) the 360 & Kinect.

Honestly, I have no problem with the Kinect or the Move. They're capitalizing on a market trend and getting money out of it while they can. I think it's an absurd waste of money and you'll end up looking like an idiot in your living room, but I'm far from the target audience.

It's the people declaring that it's the wave of the future and pretending that the days of the standard controller are numbered that annoy me, because all it would take is about five minutes of actual research into the history of the medium to realize how wrong that is.

The Kinect isn't supposed to kill off controllers. It doesn't change the 360 into a Wii, it just adds something else to those that get it. The 360 is still a gaming system built around games that use controllers. If they try and change the Modern Warfare games into a "Kinect experience"(which is what the Move is moving towards) then I'd be worried.

The Kinect isn't supposed to kill off controllers. It doesn't change the 360 into a Wii, it just adds something else to those that get it. The 360 is still a gaming system built around games that use controllers. If they try and change the Modern Warfare games into a "Kinect experience"(which is what the Move is moving towards) then I'd be worried.

I'm not worried about that. I just think Microsoft is overestimating how well this'll sell with the casual crowd, at least after the first several months.

I'm not worried about that. I just think Microsoft is overestimating how well this'll sell with the casual crowd, at least after the first several months.

I think they know they have a winner. These guys know what they are doing. They have partnered with Burger King like it's a Pixar movie release. The XBox division is the only part of MS I would bet on to pull this off.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Microsoft announced it has sold 2.5 million Kinect units worldwide in the first 25 days on sale.

Microsoft said it expects to sell a total of 5 million Kinects before the end of this calendar year. Through the first 10 days since its launch on Nov. 4, Kinect sold one million units.

"We are thrilled about the consumer response to Kinect, and are working hard with our retail and manufacturing partners to expedite production and shipments of Kinect to restock shelves as fast as possible to keep up with demand," said Don Mattrick, president of the Interactive Entertainment Business at Microsoft.

"With sales already exceeding two and a half million units in just 25 days, we are on pace to reach our forecast of 5 million units sold to consumers this holiday."

Retailer GameStop recently stated during its earnings call this month Kinect will like suffer from supply shortages during the holiday.

Microsoft clarified saying these reported Kinect sales are sold to customers.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/113/1137285p1.html