Game of Thrones

JackFetch

• Replies 325
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that's unfair to Sansa. I'm only in season 2, but it's pretty obvious that a stupid girl in her position would be dead. Arya is sharper, and Bran even more still, but Sansa is no slouch. If anything, she's shackled by her manners.

There's no reason to believe Jon Snow was ever going to have a Mensa card weighing his wallet down, certainly.

Robb isn't briliant, but he's not unintelligent by any stretch. He's shown to be a capable leader (who made a fairly egregious tactical mistake). And Ned wasn't dumb, either, he just held onto his honor for a hell of a lot longer than he should have. Hell, he was the Hand of the King, and did the research that proved Joffrey wasn't Robert's son.

Sansa isn't a drooling idiot, but if she's especially intelligent, she hasn't been interested in showing it, or given an especially good reason to do so.

Sansa has managed to keep herself alive in a very deadly situation.

Ned got himself killed in an equally bad one.

Spoiler: Both Jon Snow and Rob had to do one thing: Don't fuck this girl, right here. Both fail.

Ned felt like the whole "I'm good, they're evil, good will win in the end" would protect him, and it didn't. I don't think that makes him unintelligent. It makes him a classic heroic-fantasy character in a very un-classic world. If anything, it's a message to the audience. "Seriously, guys, don't get comfortable. The Eagles are not going to swoop in and save everyone anytime soon."

The character who I feel like a lot of readers/viewers think is a LOT more intelligent than she has ever displayed is Cersei. "Look at her sinister machinations!" No, all I see is someone trying to have sinister machinations while desperately trying not to walk out a window or shit herself.

Oh, I completely agree. On the surface, Tyrion is the only likeable Lannister. After examination? He's terribly selfish, where Jamie, Cersei and even Tywin have more selfless motivations.

She's just like Sansa, desperately trying not to die.

I honestly love what Sophie Williams has been doing with Sansa, as a character that I frankly wanted to throttle in the books has been transformed into one of the characters I am screaming to start learning from the people around her at keeping herself afloat better. And, given what's coming up for her character, I am fucking excited, if they play their hand right with her.

Also, a reminder: SHE'S FIFTEEN. Younger in the books, even.

Cersei is one of the characters I got sympathy for later on, but until then, looord, she is unlikable. For the most part, the only two Lannisters worth giving a shit about are Tyrion and Jaime.

Oh, I completely agree. On the surface, Tyrion is the only likeable Lannister. After examination? He's terribly selfish, where Jamie, Cersei and even Tywin have more selfless motivations.

She's just like Sansa, desperately trying not to die.

Tyrion is only selfish because he knows his family hates him and his dad resents him because his mom died giving birth to him. He's part of this big legacy, but looking in from the outside. He will never get what he knows he's owed for being a Lannister. His family would kill him in a heartbeat if they could get away with it and he knows it.

• 4 weeks later...