No Ordinary Family

JackFetch

Holy Incredibles! How about The Shield's Michael Chiklis playing a superdad in ABC's new superhero drama pilot No Ordinary Family?

In the pilot, Chikis plays the father of an American super family who all have special abilities. No Ordinary Family was written by Greg Berlanti (Eli Stone) and Jon Feldman (Tru Calling) and comes from ABC Studios.

Chiklis won an Emmy for his role as the rogue supercop Vic Mackey on FX's The Shield; however, he's no stranger to superhero movies. He played the Thing in the Fantastic Four movie franchise and has been very in demand this pilot season.

http://scifiwire.com/2010/02/shields-bad-cop-is-abcs-s.php

That's two super hero pilots so far.

• 3 months later...

ABC picked the show up.

The Powells are about to go from ordinary to extraordinary. After 16 years of marriage, Jim and Stephanie’s relationship lacked the spark it once had, and their family life now consists of balancing work and their two children; leaving little time for family bonding. During a family vacation set up by Jim in an attempt to reconnect, their plane crashes into the Amazon River. But this is where the fun starts for the Powells as they soon discover that something’s not quite right. Each of them now possesses unique and distinct super powers. But saving and savoring their family life will be equally important as they try to find purpose for their new power and embark on a journey to find out what defines and unifies them. The Powells are a totally relatable family that happens to be a little bit amazing.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/45055

It sounds very Fantastic Four. It can be good if it's mixed with humor, and not treated like the next Lost.

• 3 months later...

Ok, so I just finished watching it. I started out not really liking it. The wife is ok, but nothing special. The daughter is bitch, but I like how they dealt with real problems that teenage girls go through in a frank and honest way. The son is terrible. A completely throwaway character that doesn't even need to be there. You can see his powers coming a mile away, and he's going to be useless in a fight. This show is all about Michael Chiklis. He's the only reason to watch it. Honestly, I wish the show was just about him and his powers. By about halfway through I started getting into it. I don't know if the pilot I saw is the finished version because it feels like some things were left out.

Now for the spoilery stuff:

The effects were pretty good for a tv show. I like the Nightcrawler guy's bamfing especially, and the super speed was pretty cool. They never explain how they got their powers except that the water was glowing. If the water is what gave them powers, then was the bad guy in Brazil in the same water also? That seems like a stretch. I don't understand why the detective was even on the show. How did she get out of the trunk, why did she tell him to run, and how is she going to explain shooting the guy in the back? What about her partner that was shot? They never explain any of that, or even hint that it's something they will go back to. How does everyone not see him jumping from rooftop to rooftop in broad daylight when he's breaking the roofs when he lands?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TFG1Mike

So when you first see previews of No Ordinary Family the initial thought from some of my friends were a live action Incredibles. I can kinda see that, but with Jon Harmon Feldman on the writing staff it reminds me so much of Tru Calling. It's on Tuesday nights 8pm Eastern time on ABC. I think that this is the first show in a long time on ABC that I'll actually watch. The effects are pretty cool, and I'm glad Michael Chiklis is in this. It gives us a break from the way we saw him in The Shield. It also stars Julie Benz who I barely recognized and it didn't hit me at first that it was her. Most people will know her as Darla From Buffy and Angel. Also in this as far as star power that I recognize is Stephen Collins... most people will remember him as Eric Camden from 7th Heaven.

Basic plot is that the family goes on vacation but before they get there the plane crashes and they get subjected to something in the water. All of their weaknesses as individuals and as a family become their strengths/superpowers.

The Dad: Jim Powell gets Super Strength

The Mom: Stephanie Powell gets super speed

The Son: JJ Powell gets super intelligence

The Daughter: Daphne Powell gets telepathy

So discuss away folks. I know this one will be something I'll be watching.

NoOrdinaryFamily.jpg

The effects were pretty good for a tv show. I like the Nightcrawler guy's bamfing especially, and the super speed was pretty cool.

Yeah the fights scene at the end was pretty cool.

They never explain how they got their powers except that the water was glowing. If the water is what gave them powers, then was the bad guy in Brazil in the same water also? That seems like a stretch.

My guess since the big bad appears to be the Mom's boss that they actually created it and the junk was on the plane, then it got in the water after the crash.

I don't understand why the detective was even on the show. How did she get out of the trunk, why did she tell him to run, and how is she going to explain shooting the guy in the back? What about her partner that was shot? They never explain any of that, or even hint that it's something they will go back to.

I'm pretty sure the Partner was dead, as for shooting the guy in the back....

How does everyone not see him jumping from rooftop to rooftop in broad daylight when he's breaking the roofs when he lands?

He only broke the roof the first time he did it, after that he seemed to have better control over it. As for why no noticed him jumping, well how often do you look on top of roofs while you are on the ground?

• 1 month later...

I'm quickly losing interest in this show. There are only so many times I can watch the same shit every episode.

"The son/daughter use powers to get a girlfriend/boyfriend."

"The parents fight about the dad's crime fighting."

"Someone saw the dad's face while he was crime fighting because he's too stupid to wear a mask."

It's turning into a snooze fest. Where are the super villains? I want to see fights, not just another family drama.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The season finale was a mess. It was obviously re-written and filmed long after the other episodes because some characters didn't look the same. It jumped around all over the place, and time wise doesn't make sense. It takes place right after the last episode, but the one girl went from just finding out she's pregnant to like 6 months along. I'm pretty sure they know they aren't getting renewed and just wanted to answer all the questions.

My favorite fucked up thing was the family in an elevator with one wall obviously made of cardboard. I thought he was going to fall right through it.