Iron Man 3

Missy

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Marvel Studios and DMG announced that a Chinese version of IRON MAN 3 will be released in China on a date to be announced in the near future. DMG, a Chinese media and entertainment company, collaborated with Marvel Studios on the Chinese elements in the film, and is marketing and distributing the film in China. While Marvel and DMG have decided not to apply for co-production status in China, the film includes significant Chinese elements. Renowned Chinese actor Wang Xueqi will appear in both the studio’s Chinese version of the film and in its international and domestic US version. Both versions of the film include Iron Man 3 footage filmed in Beijing in December. The Chinese version of the film will also feature a special appearance of China’s top actress, Fan Bingbing, and will offer specially prepared bonus footage made exclusively for the Chinese audience. Marvel Studios’ experience working on this film with Fan Bingbing and Wang Xueqi and in shooting in China has been very positive and has created a springboard for future collaboration with China’s talented stars and its growing film and television industry. The IRON MAN cast and filmmakers look forward to bringing IRON MAN back to China.

I don't know if I like this if this is where Hollywood is heading. Does every country need it's own version of every movie?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hmm. Just got back, and I think my inner fanboy might have spoilt it slightly. 7 out of 10 maybe, which is better than Iron Man 2 but still not as good as the first Iron Man. It's funny, and action packed but there was something missing.

1. If you advertise the Mandarin, you deliver him. Sorry, I was laughing when Ben Kingsley was doing his whole luvvie actor bit, he was very funny, but in Batman you don't promise the Joker and deliver the Ventriloquist. It's a point that will only bother comics fans since the general public doesn't know who the Mandarin is but still.

2. I knew this going in, but the near complete lack of connection to the wider Avengers world bothered me more and more as the film went on. The first two played an integral part in building the movieverse and setting up shit. This film should be setting up Avengers 2 and introing more characters who might show up there. Coulson, Nick Fury, Black Widow, they showed up in Iron Man films first. Why not do more of that? Use Avengers tower for a couple of scenes maybe? I wanted just a little taste of something more.

3. So after inventing an eternal propulsion coil that can power a skyscraper indefinitely, Stark designed the Mark 43 so it needs to charge off a 240v socket like a Renault Twingo. What?

4. So now that Tony has stopped being Iron Man we either waste 20 minutes of Avengers 2 getting him back in the suit or he shows up like Thor, ignoring the end of his own last movie. I mean, that's 20 minutes I could be watching Iron Man vs Hulk. Feels like narrative handcuffs for Whedon.

The general public will not care about any of these points I raise, they'll love this, but they're problems for nerds like me.

Even ignoring all that it's still not as good as the first movie. Remember that scene where Iron Man goes to far off countries, rescues people and blows up a tank? There's nothing close to that cool in this movie. Nothing close.

I concur with Stavros on his points. Not as good as the first movie, better than the second. Although at least twice the film comes to a screeching halt and I sat there getting seriously twitchy and bored. I have watched the first movie several times and the second twice, maybe three times. This one I will probably only watch a couple more times as well.

What was the point of giving Tony panic attacks? If they'd actually done something with that, it might have been interesting, but they don't and it isn't.

And Pepper gets to - briefly - Kick Some Serious Ass. Twice. Well, once. The first time you've seen in the trailers when the suit saves her. The second time? Hooo Boy...

And what the hell was the point of that after credits sequence? Apart from letting us know that we're in a shared universe? Couldn't they have done that a much better way in the actual movie?

And what the hell was the point of that after credits sequence? Apart from letting us know that we're in a shared universe? Couldn't they have done that a much better way in the actual movie?

How else would you justify Tony's opening narration? It was just a nice joke, admitting that Tony and Bruce are still kind of friends, who just really tolerate each other.

I agree it's not as good as the first one, and some of Stavros's points are right, but overall, I am glad it's a stand on it's own film, rather than what 2, Thor and Captain America ended up being, which were pretty much 90 minute prequels to the Avengers.

I've never read an Iron Man comic, but I REALLY enjoyed everything about the Mandarin and he's storyline. I think the other thing was that it was a plausible scenario, which is one thing people were worried about when he was announced as the bad guy. I would LOVED to have seen Kingsley's face when he first read the script....

I've heard people complain about the plot, and I agree there is very, very little motivation behind Aldrich, but as a reviewer pointed out, it's no worse than the horrible plot holes in TDKR.

As ever, I'll give my full thoughts in my CR review. But about the main villain:

Killian is the Marvel Studios equivalent of The Riddler from Batman Forever. Nerdy, hero-worshipping scientist is rebuffed when seeking patronage from his billionaire scientist idol. Hence he goes away, gains himself a positive image and develops his idea which directly fucks with human biology as a means of giving him power. And he kidnaps the squeeze of his former idol.

Incidentally, I don't care for the name "Killian". It's a spacebar press away from disaster....

If you want to know what they added for the Chinese version, wonder no more. Hint, one scene is a commercial.

To begin with, before the film's proper opening, a question appears on the screen asking “What does Iron Man rely on to revitalize his energy?" It dissolves and the answer, “Gu Li Duo," is revealed. This name will not ring a bell to Iron Man aficionados unless you also happen to be familiar with popular drinks in China. Yes, a commercial for a milk-based drink appears at the header of Iron Man 3 in China.

The rest of the additional footage in the country ammounts to four minutes, prominently featuring Chinese actor Wang Xueqi as Dr. Wu. One sequence of the Doctor depicts him having a phone conversation in his Beijing office. During the all-Chinese conversation, Iron Man can be seen on a television playing with children at one of China's landmarks. Dr. Wu doesn't appear again in the Chinese cut until the ending of the film where he is shown operating on Stark and having a conversation with his unnamed assistant played by Chinese star Fan Bingbing. That's it. Not even worthy to be put on the special features of the Iron Man 3 Blu-ray.

http://www.superherohype.com/news/articles/176603-china-only-scenes-for-iron-man-3-revealed

Just got back and I was underwhelmed? I saw nothing outside of that first trailer and stayed away from everything else. I thought it was good, but not up to my expectations.

I had zero problems with the Mandarin bit. It is not a direction that I most people would have seen coming. And it was nice to get away from 'armor tech guy' as the big bad.

That said, I don't think this had the bad ass fight scene that the other movies had. The final battle felt un-epic. Adding in scale does not instantly make a fight epic. The closest was 'Home Depot' Tony Stark, but I want fancy armor battles.

And maybe it is just me, but the AIM woman looked a lot like Black Widow in the present day scenes. It kinda threw me when she shows up at Stark's house.

2. I knew this going in, but the near complete lack of connection to the wider Avengers world bothered me more and more as the film went on. The first two played an integral part in building the movieverse and setting up shit. This film should be setting up Avengers 2 and introing more characters who might show up there. Coulson, Nick Fury, Black Widow, they showed up in Iron Man films first. Why not do more of that? Use Avengers tower for a couple of scenes maybe? I wanted just a little taste of something more.

4. So now that Tony has stopped being Iron Man we either waste 20 minutes of Avengers 2 getting him back in the suit or he shows up like Thor, ignoring the end of his own last movie. I mean, that's 20 minutes I could be watching Iron Man vs Hulk. Feels like narrative handcuffs for Whedon.

2) I think that was an over-adjustment due to how people felt about the 'Avenger Trailer' that was Iron Man 2. Personally, I think just mentioning the Avengers worked. I think it is way too early to set up A2. Not to mention, if they really go Thanos, that doesn't fit this film.

4) I think the ending was set up as such so RDJ could possibly not be in Avengers 2. If he isn't, we know why. If he is, well, the last line of this film is 'I am Iron Man', so it isn't like he quit.

Initial reaction was I want to argue with that point, but I agree, I think the rest of the avengers could be replaced. Cap is almost there, especially if the sequel is a smash hit. And also, with Thor 2 in production, Hemsworth is carving out a nice spot for himself in there.

It was a turd.

It had about three good scenes, which is about one more good scene than Iron Man 2.

The Good:

-All the suits and their action.

-Pepper Potts did SOMETHING!

-Don Cheadle was great and Rhodey had something to do.

-Glad that he fought someone other than an armored villain.

The Bad:

-The Mandarin was bullshit.

-Though Pepper did do something, she still spent a good portion of the film being the damsel in distress.

-Stark is such a ridiculously unlikable character that 6 year old Davin asked me why he was such a bully on the car ride home.

-The kid. What was the fucking point of that? Oh, I know: "We need to reference some of the other movies, quick get a kid who asks a lot of questions!"

-The Mandarin. What the fuck?

-The score was abysmal. Easily the worst music from a Marvel film.

-Guy Pearce. I...I can't.

-AIM: entirely unnecessary. Just fanboy baiting at its worst.

-Extremis? "Quickly! Attach the name of a popular Iron Man story from the comics regardless of how unrelated it is to get the nerds excited!"

-The 3D was unnecessary.

-The terrorism angle, without spoiling anything, actually does a huge disservice to people who have actually died as a result of a megalomaniac that the film builds the Mandarin to be.

-Waiting through the credits on this one is almost as much of a waste of time it was in The Avengers.

-The Mandarin. Total bullshit.

Not worth the ticket price.

I cringe thinking that Shane Black was involved in this. It his easily his worst movie.