Wizard of Oz remake

JackFetch

Warner Bros. has plans to move forward with a remake of the classic The Wizard of Oz, reports Deadline.

Planning to shoot from the script to the 1939 version (which, though it is by far the best known, wasn't the first filmic iteration of the L. Frank Baum story), WB is said to be in talks with Robert Zemeckis to helm the property.

Zemeckis, meanwhile, is currently working on a performance-capture remake of The Beatles animated film, Yellow Submarine, and was announced to make a return to live action with a time travel story, Timeless (though that has been called into some question with the news that Phillip Noyce is now attached to potentially the same project.)

Warner Bros.' version of The Wizard of Oz would go up against Disney's planned Oz-prequel, Oz, the Great and Powerful, in development now with Sam Raimi attached to direct.

Summertime Entertainment, meanwhile, has planned an animated sequel to the original Oz tale entitled Dorothy of Oz, planned for release next year.

ComingSoon.net http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=71708#ixzz15VxA2JWI

Wait... you're upset that Disney is making a new Winnie the Pooh movie that honors traditional animation? :huh:

No, I'm disappointed that visually and vocally they're not adding anything new to it. Granted, I probably won't see it in any case, but still I would like to see Disney make more 2-D animated films without falling back on old stories and styles.

I'd love to see what they can do with today's technology, BUT, I also want to see if they can actually get someone who can stand up to the test of time as well as Judy Garland as Dorothy. (Zoey Deschanel, please?)

Also, if you want new Pooh, go and see the whole CGI show that's airing on the Disney Channel for kids with the chick replacing Robin. Just watched the trailer, and except for the Keane song they used, it really gets the feel of the Pooh I know from when I was a kid.

Being more rationale than screaming fuck you, I have no beef with reimaginings or new takes on Oz (Wicked is one of my favorite novels and musicals.). My problem is that they're using the original script. The only thing new brought to the table are special effects. I wish Hollywood would have realized with the Gus Van Sant remake of Psycho that you need some innovation when doing something like that. Just making the entire film color, making the flying monkeys CGI, and casting some charmless Disney star as Dorthy are not going to make people see your film, especially when they can see the exact same film at home.

Being more rationale than screaming fuck you, I have no beef with reimaginings or new takes on Oz (Wicked is one of my favorite novels and musicals.). My problem is that they're using the original script. The only thing new brought to the table are special effects. I wish Hollywood would have realized with the Gus Van Sant remake of Psycho that you need some innovation when doing something like that. Just making the entire film color, making the flying monkeys CGI, and casting some charmless Disney star as Dorthy are not going to make people see your film, especially when they can see the exact same film at home.

It's a good script. That's why they are using it. It won't be the same movie because of the different director and actors. Like I said, I don't have a problem with it because it's so old. I think the biggest thing it will do is sell more dvds of the original when it comes out. There are a lot of people that have never seen it.

Oh and while I love Zooey, she's not a great actress.

Now that dc20 brings it up, I do have to admit that just taking a script and reshooting it DOES seem lazy as all hell.

You can get two completely different movies using the same script. It'll be all about the directing. Do they keep it light like the original with the dances, or go darker. How much will it look like the original?

They're still saying the same things, and the direction and movement of the plot will be the same. The only difference you can get will be in technical shots and effects, and that can only take you so far.

The plot won't change, but the mood can. Cut or add a line and a scene can be very different. The director can make it really different depending on his vision. If he goes for a shot for shot remake exactly like the original it would be a waste of time. He obviously sees something different he can do.