Episode 92

RSS

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mordru (the villain in the backstory in Greatest Story Never Told) was a Legion villain. He was also one of the villains in the 1978 Legends Of The Superheroes live action special. He rode a jet-ski to the final battle. I kid you not.

I actually thought the battle took place in Metropolis - when Booster sees the lab and flies to it, it kind of looked like the STAR in Metropolis.

Without being able to point to anything and say "There. That's why." Robert Picardo did a great job of giving AMAZO an almost child-like quality vocally.

The Atom cooling things down was great, and in character - but I still would have loved to see him channel Dr. Cox on Lex. Just for a minute.

In response to what Mike was saying, I also always feel there's something missing about "The Return". Somehow I always want to say at the end "Yes...and? Shouldn't there be more here?" Oh, and "Seriously. You really think it's easier to move a planet than to put a bit of a curve in your flight path? No wonder you're asking Lex Flippin' Luthor for career advice. Dolt."

As to Ultimatum...I don't know. There's plenty of parts I like (like the part with Bizarro & Giganta). I watched all of those Superfriends episodes (but no El Dorado). The Waller line is great - especially because she's pulling a total Batman move on Batman. I feel like I should like it, but...There's just something about the episode that doesn't click for me. Then again, I really like "Greatest Story" and it sounds like there's plenty of people for whom that one doesn't click. Different strokes, I guess.

Chris

Guest TFG1Mike

I found it interesting listening to Starcrossed Part 3 with commentary.. at the end Bruce Timm says we don't know where Hawkgirl will go... she's hanging out at Dr. Fate's house..... and in The Return look what happened. :D

Just an addendum to the bit about Giganta and Bizarro - in addition to bonding, that scene was probably there for the Superfriends homage. Samurai, Black Lightning, and the Wonder Twins never had any arch-nemeses, but Apache Chief and Giganta (for obvious reasons) were usually set up as counterparts, so that bit was a callback to their pairing.

Also, about Bizarro - he not only got off Bizarro World (which was not, unfortunately, square), but went from broken speech to reversed meanings. He also seems to have a line across his forehead. I remember someone suggesting that he was brought back and lobotomized (possibly by Lex Luthor, who, yes, is putatively good at this point in the DCAU, but we don't know how long Bizarro has been back on Earth, and it's Lex flippin' Luthor, so we all knew he was just putting on a front anyways). Did anyone else hear that as something official, or just as speculation from a fan?

Chris

4 more episodes, then the Flash is back!

Guest TFG1Mike

And what an episode that is... <_<

Dude, Ties that Bind is awesome. Mr. Miracle and Big Barda.

As far as Flash eps go I prefer Great Brain Robbery to Ties that Bind. I've never liked that ep. Maybe it's because I knew nothing about the 2 main characters in it.

A lot of the dialogue in "Ties That Bind" is cheesy ("Now we make miracles!"), Ioan Gruffudd's delivery as Mister Miracle is suspect, and the plot is like the structure of a video game, with levels of punchy-punchy-run-run (to borrow a phrase from Tom Deja). It does set the stage for Darkseid's return and I like J'onn's logic for why the League shouldn't intervene on Apokolips, but otherwise, the episode is for Fourth World and Mr. Miracle and Big Barda fans only.

A lot of the dialogue in "Ties That Bind" is cheesy ("Now we make miracles!"), Ioan Gruffudd's delivery as Mister Miracle is suspect, and the plot is like the structure of a video game, with levels of punchy-punchy-run-run (to borrow a phrase from Tom Deja). It does set the stage for Darkseid's return and I like J'onn's logic for why the League shouldn't intervene on Apokolips, but otherwise, the episode is for Fourth World and Mr. Miracle and Big Barda fans only.

It's a Jim Steranko 4th World story, adapted for TV by J.M. DeMatteis, starring Barda and Scott, I legally am not allowed to hate it. Gruffudd isn't the best, but everyone else is so pitch perfect that I can forgive it. Virmin Vunderbar, especially.

"You leave me to my last resort... CAKE!"

I grant you, that moment is funny, but even within the context of the DCAU--a universe of easily exploding computers and NBA stars as superheroes--it makes no damn sense. It's almost a Big-Lipped Alligator Moment (with apologies to the Nostalgia Critic).

It's Vunderbar, he's nuts. The guy drives a flying corvette.

So watching Dark Heart, I have to say, I wasn't that bothered by the fact that Atom defeated the master chip with violence instead of reprogramming. First, they led up to this when he was about to fix the nanochip in his lab, and ended up just punching it. Second, his core point still held true - this had to be dealt with on a microscopic, not macroscopic, level. As to the issue of one of the other units starting to crank out nanospiders, I assumed it was like a bee hive. Maybe, given time, one of the others will develop "queen" status - immediately upon destruction of the master unit, however, they lose coordination and more importantly, lose the continuous stream of reinforcements. The Leaguers didn't have any problems with the individual units, after all - it was the fact that they never stopped coming that made them so difficult to contain.

I agree completely with the comments about Eiling, too. First, J.K. Simmons is great, but more importantly, he has a very legitimate concern about the League. It's no difficulty to understand why he might think them a threat, and as a military officer, he then feels it's his duty to stop them. That kind of characterization, where you can agree with the villains...excuse me, antagonists' perspective, makes for better stories.

I did have one issue, though, Especially early on, why didn't GL, Fate, Stargirl, and whoever else can contribute just pick the damn thing up and throw it in the sun? Isn't that going to be a bit more effective than Superman flying past and SLOWING DOWN to hit individual spiders? Barring that, except for fanservice, why have WW carry Atom to the thing? Atom used to use a rubber band to catapult himself towards things - that would have been faster.

In a bit of Teen Titans crossover, about the time Atom is choking the arteries, there's a brief shot of the original Starfire (Leonid Kovar, who later went by Red Star from Snowblind).

Chris

"The Ties That Bind" = -_-

I grant you, that moment is funny, but even within the context of the DCAU--a universe of easily exploding computers and NBA stars as superheroes--it makes no damn sense. It's almost a Big-Lipped Alligator Moment (with apologies to the Nostalgia Critic).

...You two are crazy. Just finished watching this episode for the first time, and out of the sequence of episodes that I watched, it's probably my favorite. And I know next to nothing about the Fourth World, other than it's where Darksied comes from.

Just finished the Booster Gold ep, too. Not standout, but I honestly don't find Booster Gold as much as an annoyance as some (agree with the basic he may be obsessed with fame but he's still a good guy when it comes down to it analysis), and I like the Booster/Skeet dynamic, so to each their own.

We'll agree to disagree, then. xD

• 3 weeks later...