Mass Effect 3

ShaunKL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZGFjBmD41Q

On one hand this is very exciting, getting the conclusion to the trilogy so soon. On the other hand this terrifies the living daylights out of me. Mass Effect came out in late 2007, Mass Effect 2 came out in early 2010. Mass Effect 3 is coming out fall next year. I have to think they'll push the date back.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the other hand this terrifies the living daylights out of me. Mass Effect came out in late 2007, Mass Effect 2 came out in early 2010. Mass Effect 3 is coming out fall next year. I have to think they'll push the date back.

Let's not freak out.

ME1 came out in late November of 07, and ME2 came out in January of 10. The distance is barely over two years.

If ME3 comes out in fall of 11, then it's only a few months shy of the same 2-year timeframe. Since the biggest factor in ME2's delay was the re-working of the entire game engine—which they likely won't have to do for 3—it should be just fine.

Let me reword myself, I'm not terrified, but I am worried. They are making the big end-all conclusion in under two-years. From pure assumption (and you know what assuming does to you and me) I'd guess that they're not messing with gameplay that much and are focused on the locales and such.

• 5 months later...

I'll go on record and say that the Tali romance in ME2 was the best part of that game, and that's not disparaging the rest of it.

They're character development tools, and damn effective ones. It's not like they're mandatory.

• 8 months later...

Aargh. I buy two, MAYBE three games a year. I am a very casual gamer.

I am also a MAJOR Mass Effect fanboy.

And I still have not finshed either Skyrim or Arkham City.

I need to get cracking on those, because Mass Effect MUST be bought midnight release day and jumped on immediately.

Yeah, you play Skyrim until you believe that your character has exhausted all realms of possibility for them and then you retire them for a little while and start a new character, completely a diametric opposite really, and send him through the world until you find yourself playing a quest that your previous character never completed. So, you take out the original character and send them through the same quest chain and, sure enough, you found yourself doing things completely different since after all, Thanlia had an invisibility spell while Grexel had a flaming sword.

If it's like Two, there will be a thing before the Prologue where you can adjust some of the variables (Who survived Mass Effect 1 &2, who did you romance if anyone, Did Shepherd activate the Psycho Driver and become Evil Shepherd) but, as I'm playing Mass Effect 2on the PS3 right now, it's not the same as transfering your old character. There are just little things that the game assumed you wouldn't or would do. So, take my advice, pick up Mass Effect 1 & 2 (Make sure to pick up the Lair of the Shadow Broker and Arrival DLC for 2) and if you don't get it done by time the new one comes out, don't sweat it. I know I won't be getting 3 until Spring Break so just sit back and avoid spoilers.

• 2 weeks later...

The demo comes out on the 14th but you can download it early if you complete a fucking annoying little game on the Facebook App.

Initial thoughts: I kinda like what they've done. Combat is a little stream-lined. Nothing is taken out, it just feels more clean. One thing I never really cared about in the first two games was the music. It feels epic enough in this one for me to give two fucks. Seriously, it needs to be March already.

• 2 weeks later...