Every comic you've read in 2011

Missy

Going through some series that I've wanted to reread. And some of it is research.

Supervillain Team-up: MODOK's 11 #1-5-This is insanity. I loved every moment of it. Van Lente is going to have a hell of a lot of trouble trying to live up to this for his career. Unfortunately, most people don't even know it existed. Portela's art has him in my top three newbies to watch. I love it. 9/10

Marvels Project #1-8-This is the best thing Brubaker has done in continuity since he started at Marvel. Genius work. Epting was brilliant too, but to be fair, it could be done with stick figures and I would still love it. 10/10

Comics: 41

Trades: 8

Graphic Novels: 1

Omnibuses: 3

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Detective Comics #27-37

Two very interesting things going on. One Bruce Wayne lives in Manhattan. Gotham City has yet to be created. Two the insane body count Batman racks up. And it isn't just not saving bad guys or negligence. He outright breaks a henchman's neck.

Marvel The Lost Generation #1-12 (or 12-1 actually)-There were no superheroes between the Golden Age and the Silver Age right? Cap fell into the soup and all of a sudden, costumed heroes went away until Reed Richards decided to put his girlfriend and her kid brothers' lives in danger right? John Byrne says no. Badly. Great idea. Shitty delivery. 4/10

Comics: 53

Trades: 8

Omnibuses: 3

Batman, Inc. #3 - This was a bit of a disjointed issue. The first part set in the past, adding to the overarching story I imagine, is written in full Morrison style. The rest of the issue, set in the present with Batman and El Gaucho investigating a mystery in Argentina, is written in a more mainstream Morrison style (while retaining his voice). The ending definitely has me excited for the next issue though, as an old foe from Morrison's Batman run returns. I love Yanick Paquette's art, but ironically, I'm not a big fan of his Batman.

Doctor Strange: From The Marvel Vault #1 - A forgettable, but not awful, story about Dr. Strange's first night at his Sanctum Sanctorum. Neil Vokes tries to channel Steve Ditko at times, but it isn't very successful.

Image Firsts: Hack/Slash #1 - This is a reprint of a Devil's Due issue that recaps Cassie Hack's origin and journey to becoming a slasher hunter. Tim Seeley does a good job of creating a serviceable threat in the present and catching new readers up to speed through the flashbacks. The art by Stefano Casselli and Emily Stone fits the story, especially Casselli's. The scene with Vlad trying to get internet access was hilarious; I liked that character immediately. The first omnibus has moved up in my "to buy" que.

Hack/Slash (2011) #1 - The first issue of the ongoing at Image, which left me a little cold. Seeley did a good job of giving bios for the characters and establishing the basic plot at the front of the issue. For me personally, there was so much continuity that I want to read the preceding issues before I read more of the ongoing. The bigger issue for me was the art. I don't know if it was Daniel William Leister's pencils or Mark Englert's colors, but the characters had a...plastic, I guess?...and lifeless look to them. I think you can pick this up without having read the previous issues, but it might not grab you fully.

The Infinite Vacation #1 - Nick Spencer presents a world where you can buy and trade your life with those of an infinite number of yous from alternate realities. This first issue sets up the world and the main character Mark's quest to discover why an increasing number of his doppelgangers are dying. While the narration is overused at times, it's a great start to what looks to be a unique and interesting series. Christian Ward's watercolor-esque art is fantastic and he's now an artist I'll be keeping an eye out for.

Officer Downe - The story of a police officer whose precinct can bring him back from the dead no matter how sliced up and shot he gets. There are super powers and psychics, but Joe Casey doesn't waste time explaining them; he goes right to the over the top cop vs. criminal violence. Chris Burnham art is perfectly suited for the blood and guts that fly as Officer Downe wages a one man war on crime. If you're a fan of over the top action that doesn't take itself seriously, you'll have fun with this.

Transformers #1 - Megatron is dead, the Autobots are in hiding, and humanity hates all Transformers after the events of All Hail Megatron. A set up with potential, but the execution isn't very new, deep, or interesting.

Who is Jake Ellis? #1 - A C.I.A. analyst on the run gets advice on how to stay alive from a shadowy figure named Jake Ellis only he can see and hear. The story is off to a good start with the potential to end great; solid art by Tonci Zonjic as well.

Total

Comic Books: 27

TPBs:

HCs:

Graphic Novels:

Manga:

Batman: The Return, Batman, Inc. #1-3, Batwoman #0, Doctor Strange: From The Marvel Vault #1, Image Firsts: Hack/Slash #1, Hack/Slash (2011) #1, The Infinite Vacation #1, Mage: The Hero Discovered #1, Officer Downe, The Punisher #1-9 and Annual #1, The Sixth Gun #1-4, Transformers #1, Who is Jake Ellis? #1

Superman/Batman: Public Enemies: Picked it up because there was nothing else in the shop that interested me that week and because I wanted to see how it compared to the movie. Good art for the most part and a story that makes slightly more sense, but nothing to write home about.

Superman/Batman: Supergirl: (see above)

Green Lantern: Secret Origin: A surprisingly engaging and quick read. I normally read comics on the can but after picking this one up from my mailbox I couldn't put it down. Made Hal Jordan a lot more interesting than I've ever seen him and made Hector Hammond more than just DC's version of the Leader. Now officially looking forward to the movie in a few months.

Trade paperbacks: 4

Green Lantern: Secret Origin: A surprisingly engaging and quick read. I normally read comics on the can but after picking this one up from my mailbox I couldn't put it down. Made Hal Jordan a lot more interesting than I've ever seen him and made Hector Hammond more than just DC's version of the Leader. Now officially looking forward to the movie in a few months.

Hammond actually predates The Leader by several years.

Secret Origins is actually one of the GL stories of Johns' run that didn't hit me as well as the others. I'll probably go back and reread it soon.

Secret Origins is actually one of the GL stories of Johns' run that didn't hit me as well as the others. I'll probably go back and reread it soon.

The only other Johns Lantern book I've read is Sinestro Corps War, which I will say had better art but I didn't like it as much, maybe because I hadn't read earlier issues. Where should I go from here? Blackest Night?

The only other Johns Lantern book I've read is Sinestro Corps War, which I will say had better art but I didn't like it as much, maybe because I hadn't read earlier issues. Where should I go from here? Blackest Night?

Pretty much. The only storyline that comes between the two is Agent Orange, which is giving the story of Hal's first meeting with Larfleeze.

Be aware that unlike SCW you'll need to get the different books, like both Green Lantern: Blackest Night and the main Blackest Night hardcover to get the full story. GLC: Blackest Night is also a good choice I hear.

Brightest Day #22: I know the series is coming to an end, but how about the issue actually try to be interesting, instead of cramming the entire end of a mission into one issue.

Fuller thoughts and synopsis of issue can be found here.

Red Robin #21: The whole Unternet storyline has been crap. This issue was no different. If you're going to read Red Robin, either jump on the series in a month, or go for issues 13-18, as this story, was just a big waste of time.

Secret Six #31: Art was alright. Was really a set up for the team to go to hell, and finally deal with the get out of hell free card, from the first storyline. Some interesting things:

Ragdoll is killed by Scandal after she finds out he stole the card to bring back the Parademon from the villains united mini-series. There's only one get out of hell free card, and Ragdoll put it in Parademon's mouth, implying that it's been used on him. So Ragdoll is probably dead for real now.

But I expect that to be negated by the end of the storyline. Also, we have Scandal dealing with not treating her new girlfriend with respect, and the girlfriend being kidnapped by an ex, who plans to de-program her from being a lesbian. That's actually a lot more interesting than the get out of hell free story is, at this moment.

But still, the issue is slightly missable.

Trades: 5

HC:0

Comics: 37

GN:0

Omnibus: 1

Alien VS Predator Volume 1 Omnibus. Tiny Titans #35, Brightest Day #17, Shazam: Monster Society of Evil TPB. Red Robin #19, Titans #31, Batman #706, Streets of Gotham #19, Brightest Day #18, Brave and Bold #33. Batman Beyond #1. Detective Comics #891, Detective Comics #892, Detective Comics #893. Action Comics #897, Shazam 1 shot. JL: Generation Lost 19, Secret Six #30, Red Robin #20, TMVP #6. Flash #9, Batman and Robin #20, Titans #32. Batman: Dark Knight #1. Green lantern #62, Green Lantern Corps #57, Brightest Day #20. Justice League International volumes 1-3. Teen Titans #92, Action Comics #898, JL:Generation Lost #20. Brightest Day #20, Green Lantern #63. The Crow TPB. Green Lantern: Rebirth #1, Batman and Robin #21, JL: Generation Lost #21 Batman Inc #3, Titans #33. Brightest Day #22, Red Robin #21, Secret Six #31

Edited by SuaveStar

Superman: Secret Origin (HC)

MUCH better than I remember it being. This second time through, now used to the fact that Superman is drawn as Chris Reeve, and reading it as one story instead of eight mini-stories, I like it much better. It's like the polar opposite of Superman: Earth-One: it doesn't reinvent the wheel, and it definitely doesn't do anything quite revolutionary, but it tells a damn good Superman story. It sets up the essential character relationships and motivations extremely well, and does so with amazing art by Gary Frank. (creepy-looking young Chris Reeve Clark Kent aside)

I didn't quite notice it the first time, but Secret Origin is essentially a blend of Donner's Superman film(s) with equal parts of S:TAS's "The Last Son of Krypton" and John Byrne's The Man of Steel. As a single, flowing narrative, it actually works quite well.

Superman: War of the Supermen (HC)

Stupid, dumb, and stupid. And dumb.

The Flash, Vol 1: The Dastardly Death of the Rogues (HC)

Love the first two issues. The rest is too bogged down by the Brightest Day tie-in story. Still, though, the Johns/Manapul team is incredible, and it's still a very enjoyable story overall.

The Return of Bruce Wayne (HC):

Sometimes I feel like Grant Morrison writes in a language that I only have a somewhat-decent understanding of. I get the basics of what he's saying, but the details are a little lost on me. Still, though, I liked it.

Green Lantern #59-61:

Eh. Kinda getting bored with this story. Which is really odd.

I did like the return of Krona, though. Great callback there.

Supergirl #61:

Only the first part of a multi-part team-up with Damian-Robin, but I liked what was there.

Young Justice #0-2:

I like this series. It definitely seems to be filling in some of the gaps between episodes of the show, and giving the characters some growing room.

Comics: 7

HC: 4

Invaders 1-41: Roy Thomas really wrote like Stan Lee (ie: in a language no one ever spoke). The best are the issues scripted by Don Glut from plots by Thomas. They feel more real. Oh yeah, and it contains one of the best moments in Marvel history: Hitler brings Thor to earth to assassinate Stalin. And Thor does it! This was for research purposes. 7/10

Captain America 615: Ho-hum ending to an arc I had high hopes for. Totally bland. It just becomes a generic superhero comic. I hope that Brubaker actually starts to plagiarize himself in the coming issues because he did it so well with DD, I would love to see

Bucky in a Russian prison

for a year or so.

First Issue Special:

5 Ronin #1

Axe Cop: Bad Guy Earth #1

GI Joe: Infestation #1

Marvel Zombies Supreme #1

Batman Conspiracy: Basically a trade collecting the worthwhile JH Williams III art that hasn'tr been collected. A three issue story from LOTDK pitting Batman against a Satanist world conspiracy and a one issue Detective story written by Dini. The Dini story is the only thing I've read by him that I've actually liked. The art helped a lot though. It looks a lot like the style he uses on Batwoman. The three issue arc is older Williams but still very stark and impressive. 8/10

Acts of Vengeance Omnibus: Holy shit. Thirty-four issues and there's still another Omnibus of tie-ins coming! This si the best crossover Marvel ever did. It's uneven, but it's an awesome idea with some amazing results. Thoughts:

-First appearance of the New Warriors. Forgot about that.

-Ron Frenz in Thor with inks by Joe Sinnott is as close to Kirby, I have ever seen. Beautiful.

-John Byrne, as a writer, got second billing to Paul Ryan and Tom Palmer, the artists? Whoa...

-Cosmic Spider-man was kind of cool.

-Quasar is a shit character, with a shit series. Fucking shit.

-Forgot how close this was in time to Atlantis Attacks (omnibus up next).

-I wanted more.

Comics: 99

Trades: 9

Omnibuses: 4

Atlantis Attacks Omnibus-God! Marvel used to be soooo good at crossovers. Each installment is, in itself a full story leading into the next. Wonderful. It waivers but it manages to capture each character and look at the experience from not only their perspective but also their aesthetic. The Silver Surfer and Punisher annuals are the best examples. It's not all good. Not by a long shot. But Liefeld manages to make She-Hulk look sexy and Joe Fixit clapping as a captive whale eats its trainer because he believes it's "part of the show" is genius. 8/10

DC Universe Legacies #9- Essentially Final Night and Day of Vengeance condensed into one comic issue. This series really turded out. I don't even want to read the last issue. 2/10

GL Corps #57-Well, I didn't see that coming! 9/10

GL #62-Lovin' it. Mahnke is doing the work of his career and I am loving every minute of this! Hal's always been torn between Earth heroes and the Corps and this issue displays that perfectly. If you don't like Johns' Hal Jordan then I just don't think you aren't a Hal Jordan fan. 9/10

GL Emerald Warrior #7-Tomasi gets Guy better than any writer I've ever encountered. And he fucking rocks in this series. I was very worried for a few characters in this issue. VERY worried. I care about the villain now thanks to this issue and I NEED the next issue. 10/10

Brightest Day #19, 20-Funny reading this right before Atlantis Attacks as this is the Aquawar. I know that some people dislike the way they're going with Aquaman, but I actually give a shit about him and Mera does the awesomest thing in issue 20 that I have seen in comics in a very long time. 9/10

New Invaders #0-9-More research. I remember pickign this up off the shelf when I lived in Glasgow and almost picking it up. Not sure why I didn't but I wish I did. Glad I went back and checked it out again. CP Smith is a great artist and I love the characterization of everyone, especially the Blazing Skull. 8/10

Comics: 115

Trades: 9

Omnibuses: 5

Green Lantern #64: Really good issue. War of the Green Lanterns seems to be really interesting to me now.

GLC #58: Same as GL itself. A good read.

Batman Inc #4: Three plots going on here. Batwoman's story, Batwoman 1950's story, and the Batman story from the last issue continuing. Art by Chris Burnham is nice, and cheesey as all hell in the 1950's part of the story, which fit. Ending was a bit flat, but I'm still interested in the story continuing.

Comics: 40

Alien VS Predator Volume 1 Omnibus. Tiny Titans #35, Brightest Day #17, Shazam: Monster Society of Evil TPB. Red Robin #19, Titans #31, Batman #706, Streets of Gotham #19, Brightest Day #18, Brave and Bold #33. Batman Beyond #1. Detective Comics #891, Detective Comics #892, Detective Comics #893. Action Comics #897, Shazam 1 shot. JL: Generation Lost 19, Secret Six #30, Red Robin #20, TMVP #6. Flash #9, Batman and Robin #20, Titans #32. Batman: Dark Knight #1. Green lantern #62, Green Lantern Corps #57, Brightest Day #20. Justice League International volumes 1-3. Teen Titans #92, Action Comics #898, JL:Generation Lost #20. Brightest Day #20, Green Lantern #63. The Crow TPB. Green Lantern: Rebirth #1, Batman and Robin #21, JL: Generation Lost #21 Batman Inc #3, Titans #33. Brightest Day #22, Red Robin #21, Secret Six #31. Green Lantern #64, GLC #58, Batman Inc #4

Batman Inc #4: Three plots going on here. Batwoman's story, Batwoman 1950's story, and the Batman story from the last issue continuing. Art by Chris Burnham is nice, and cheesey as all hell in the 1950's part of the story, which fit. Ending was a bit flat, but I'm still interested in the story continuing.

From now on, I'm buying Batman, Inc. from the shop rather than DCBS, because I want to read that right now.

The Amazing Spider-Man #648-649

Having read Amazing Spider-Man #650 for Grumpy Old Fans, I wanted to read the storyline from the start, but I read it so long ago I can't remember much. Since I didn't read past #650, that tells me it was so-so at best.

The Immortal Iron Fist #21

I've been thinking about ordering all of the Immortal Iron Fist trades, but I wanted to read one of the Duane Swierczynski-written issues first. I know the Brubaker / Fraction run is excellent, but I had heard mixed things about the book beyond their departure. I chose this issue at random. It stars the Iron Fist of 3099 saving a planet from a cruel ruler. It's a lot better than it has any right to be, and convinced me to purchase all of the Iron Fist trades -- even the Duane Swierczynski ones.

FF #1

Huge letdown. Oh, it's not bad, but if you haven't been reading Hickman's run on Fantastic Four until now, you will suffer for it. Also, nothing meaty happens: Spider-Man joins the team, they try to stop The Wizard from escaping his jail, dinner is had, and there's a rather transparent cliffhanger. Yes it's setting things up and will most likely read well in a collection, but a welcoming first issue this is not.

Comic books: 22

Trade paperbacks: 6

Graphic novels: 0

Fall of Cthulhu: Apocalypse-I'm honestly not too sure how I feel about this as a final volume. I still enjoyed it, but it left me feeling a little disappointed. I'll do a reread soon, I think. 6/10

REBELS: Sons of Brainiac-Love it. Beautiful art, space opera badasses and three generations of smug motherfuckers battling each other. I adore this. Also: Starfire. 9/10

Morning Glories vol 1-I only bought this because of the great discount at DCBS. But I think I have a new favorite comic. This is like Lost, if Lost took place in a prep school and The Others are everyone else at the school. Only, this one actually provides some answers as to what's going on. One of the smartest and most interesting things I've read this year. I want more. 10/10

Comics: 115

Trades: 12

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 451

All-Star Squadron #67

Darkwing Duck Annual #1

Fantastic Four #300

Fantastic Four #587

JSA All-Stars #14

Muppet Babies #12

Comic books: 32

Batman: Mad Love and Other Stories HC - A collection of Batman: Mad Love and several other issues featuring stories in the BTAS vein. Mad Love is as great as the episode it was eventually adapted into. What really sells the comic is Bruce Timm's art. While his layouts are, as he describes, "meat and potatoes," the storytelling within the panels is excellent. I will say that the ending, script wise, is better in the cartoon. The other stories are rather hit and miss, as most of them are short stories from annuals and specials. Several really stand out however. "Puppet Show" is a story of the Ventriloquist trying to go straight, which of course doesn't work out. While the villain is cliche, Wesker's interaction with a frog puppet who is his friend is a great touch, as it shows that Wesker's multiple personality disorder will not go away. "Laughter After Midnight" sees The Joker causing chaos on a night on the town, using the character to great effect. Then there's "Two of a Kind," a noir starring Two-Face written and drawn by Bruce Timm for Batman: Black and White. Timm uses an ink wash on his art, producing some of the best art of his I've ever seen. If you don't go in expecting to have your mind blown, it's worth picking up.

Iron Man: Enter The Mandarin TPB - A fun romp.

Orc Stain #5 - This book has been about the art for me since the beginning, but the story really got moving this time around, so I'm really excited for the next set of issues. Even if the story hadn't kicked it up a notch, I would still say this is one of the best looking comics on the stands.

The Untold Legend of The Batman #1-3 - A retelling of the origins of Batman, his allies, and several of his foes, while Batman is on a quest to discover who destroyed his father's bat costume. It's more of a history lesson than a story, but it's still a decent read. The art is a highlight, as it's one issue of Byrne inked by Aparo and two issues of Aparo.

X-Statix #6-7 and 21-24 - A team of mutants with celebrity status allows for a satire of media and the superhero comic. A smart, fun comic book with great art by Michael Allred. As soon as I have the spare cash, I'm buying the rest of the series.

Total

Comic Books: 37

TPBs: 1

HCs: 1

Graphic Novels:

Manga:

Batman: Mad Love and Other Stories HC, Batman: The Return, Batman, Inc. #1-3, Batwoman #0, Doctor Strange: From The Marvel Vault #1, Image Firsts: Hack/Slash #1, Hack/Slash (2011) #1, The Infinite Vacation #1, Iron Man: Enter The Mandarin TPB, Mage: The Hero Discovered #1, Officer Downe, Orc Stain #5, The Punisher #1-9 and Annual #1, The Sixth Gun #1-4, Transformers #1, The Untold Legend of The Batman #1-3. Who is Jake Ellis? #1, X-Statix #6-7 and 21-24

Captain America: Scourge of the Underworld-Not as good as I remembered. It's a fantastic idea that I still love but the long run and patchwork storytelling doesn't makje for a compelling singular read other than the original Cap issues. I love the inclusion of the various kill pages from around the MU throughout the book though. 6/10

Defenders #20-41 and Annual 1-I love Steve Gerber. I really do. He is a mad genius. But his run on Defenders is a steaming pile of shit. Ugh. Two or three good pages with a decent "women in prison" sub-plot with Valkyrie. 3/10

Comics: 137

Trades: 13

Batman: Streets of Gotham #21: Mediocre ending to a mediocre storyline in a mediocre comic. I'm glad this book is now cancelled.

Action Comics #899: This black ring storyline has been awesome. This ending was a bit strange, but still enjoyable. I'm actually looking forward to #900 now.

Ultimate Comics Spider-Man #155 I only picked this up because of the Death of Spider-Man thing. And everywhere saying the Ultimate Universe is the only place that'll actually go through with killing him. It was good, but nothing special. Really continuity heavy, and although you got a recap page, the comic itself felt short.

Detective Comics #875: So fucking dark. Art was awesome, and I cannot believe how fucked up James Gordon JR really is. I am loving this run from Snyder and crew so far.

Justice League: Generation Lost #22: Alright, another set up for the ending in issues 23 and 24. I thought the ending was really good, and I wonder how the JLI are going to take care of the issues in the next few issues before the series ends. Definitely flows better than BD at this point.

DC Universe Legacies #9: Couldn't have cared less. What a crappy issue, and the Black Adam back up was awful.

DC Universe Legacies #10:If you've ever felt let down by the end of a comic, then you'll know how I feel about this. Just ends, no real purpose or point behind it. The comic just ends out of fucking nowhere and feels really like a forced ending. Blue Beetle back up was just boring as well. Avoid.

Comics: 47

Alien VS Predator Volume 1 Omnibus. Tiny Titans #35, Brightest Day #17, Shazam: Monster Society of Evil TPB. Red Robin #19, Titans #31, Batman #706, Streets of Gotham #19, Brightest Day #18, Brave and Bold #33. Batman Beyond #1. Detective Comics #891, Detective Comics #892, Detective Comics #893. Action Comics #897, Shazam 1 shot. JL: Generation Lost 19, Secret Six #30, Red Robin #20, TMVP #6. Flash #9, Batman and Robin #20, Titans #32. Batman: Dark Knight #1. Green lantern #62, Green Lantern Corps #57, Brightest Day #20. Justice League International volumes 1-3. Teen Titans #92, Action Comics #898, JL:Generation Lost #20. Brightest Day #20, Green Lantern #63. The Crow TPB. Green Lantern: Rebirth #1, Batman and Robin #21, JL: Generation Lost #21 Batman Inc #3, Titans #33. Brightest Day #22, Red Robin #21, Secret Six #31. Green Lantern #64, GLC #58, Batman Inc #4. JL: Generation Lost #22, Batman: Streets of Gotham #22, Action Comics #899, Ultimate Comics: Spider-Man #155, Detective Comics #875, DC Universe Legacies #9-10.

The Lone Ranger & Zorro: The Death of Zorro #1

One of my comic-reading pet peeves is a book that's narrated by a character that won't be in the rest of the series, and this issue does that. While I understand said character was needed to get the plot moving, he doesn't add much and I don't care about him. He's too distant to feel anything for, frankly. If they wanted to use a character who'll die as a narrator and sparks the plot into motion, why not use Zorro? This book would have been much better had Don Diego been the sole POV character until his final moments.

I'm being harsh, I know, but the writing isn't horrible. It gets the ball rolling, and it might become something worth grabbing as a trade. As a single issue, however, it's not the best way to start a series. (I'm thinking Zorro isn't really dead, by the way. It'll turn out he was either wearing body armor or is gravely wounded. Either way, Don Diego will finally give up the role, hence, "the death of Zorro.")

Artistically it has a Francesco Francavilla vibe, with some hints of Darick Robertson in the faces. The styles don't do well together, resulting in a somewhat patchwork visual outing. And when it does break from those styles, it's a little too plain for my liking.

I've ordered the first three issues, and I think that'll be it.

5 Ronin #1

It being a weekly series and me having a credit with DCBS, I grabbed all five issues on a whim. After reading the first, I'm not sure what this miniseries is supposed to be about and what it hopes to accomplish. Based on this issue, I'll read the final four, but not this weekend.

Comic books: 34

5 Ronin #2

This one focuses on The Hulk, and is much better than the first issue. It takes everything we expect from a Hulk story (e.g. Banner dealing with his anger, someone needing The Hulk's help, not being able to control his rage, property damage, etc.), and seamlessly infuses them into a Samurai story. The Samurai / Ronin / monk seeking a peaceful existence, away from his bloddy past, isn't anything new, but the addition of a Banner / Hulk-like character changes things ever so slightly.

The art is quite strong, especially the faces. Over two pages, we see the monk go from being at peace to annoyed to angry to murderous to clam to worried. and none of them felt exaggerated. The only other time I've seen Dalibor Talajic artwork was on the HIt-Monkey one-shot, and though I don't recall what I thought of it there, 5 Ronin #2 will have me on the lookout for more.

Oh, it's impossible to read the final page without hearing "The Lonely Man."

Ruse #1

Just as awesome as the original series.

Sigil #1

Though I'm intrigued by what Mike Carey is trying here, it isn't working. Yet. The main fault of the book is the girl gang. They're cliched dykes with uncontrollable rage for the lead character.

Comic books: 37