Every comic you've read in 2011

Missy

Flashpoint: Batman - Knight of Vengeance #1-3

Thoughts soon.

I was going to write a review of this, but I couldn't get past a few hundred words. Those words I'll sum up here: This is terrible. It asks us to care about Thomas and Martha Wayne, but gives us no reason to. And in an alternate reality story, that's a major mistake in my opinion. The twist isn't shocking or all that impressive, and no reason is given for this version of The Joker to have Heath Ledger's scars. They're there to make the audience go "Ohhh! Cool!" That's it. Me, I rolled my eyes. Instead of taking a risk and creating a Joker we haven't seen before (you know, because it's an alternate reality where imagination is limitless), we're given a face and a design that's all too familiar.

Artistically, Knight of Vengeance relies too heavily on the styles of Frank Miller and RM Guera; I see very little of Eduardo Risso's distinct style on these pages.

And the way this ends, I suppose it's meant to make you mourn for this Batman, but all I could do was sigh at the rushed, convenient (RE: clichéd), heartless conclusion.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flashpoint: Batman - Knight of Vengeance #1-3

Thoughts soon.

I was going to write a review of this, but I couldn't get past a few hundred words. Those words I'll sum up here: This is terrible. It asks us to care about Thomas and Martha Wayne, but gives us no reason to. And in an alternate reality story, that's a major mistake in my opinion. The twist isn't shocking or all that impressive, and no reason is given for this version of The Joker to have Heath Ledger's scars. They're there to make the audience go "Ohhh! Cool!" That's it. Me, I rolled my eyes. Instead of taking a risk and creating a Joker we haven't seen before (you know, because it's an alternate reality where imagination is limitless), we're given a face and a design that's all too familiar.

Artistically, Knight of Vengeance relies too heavily on the styles of Frank Miller and RM Guera; I see very little of Eduardo Risso's distinct style on these pages.

And the way this ends, I suppose it's meant to make you mourn for this Batman, but all I could do was sigh at the rushed, convenient (RE: clichéd), heartless conclusion.

My main issue was Risso's need to write his name on the third page of every issue of the book. It wasn't even off in the corner, it was mostly prominent in the issues.

I thought the idea of Martha being The Joker, and that being the only reason Thomas hasn't killed her, when he killed the other rogues with ease, was quite new and different. Bringing someone new in to be The Joker would just be them remaking the actual Joker, a random psycho who comes to Gotham to fuck with Batman. Here, they tie The Joker and Batman's origins together.

The second issue was where this book was actually pretty good, it was the other two issues that sucked, the second did things that were different, and the ending reveal of Martha being The Joker would have been a great way to end this series, as it was with the third issue that I started to realise Martha as The Joker made no sense, and if she is the Flashpoint Joker, where the hell is the original Joker, and why would she become The Joker, why would she choose that name, it just brings up too many questions and made me sort of sour on the whole entire thing.

Peter Parker: Spider-Man #35

The best issue of Spider-Man. Ever. It shows why it's important that Spider-Man's body is fully covered: because he can be anyone, no matter the race. And Paul Jenkins gets that. It's also interesting that, this being the fifth or sixth time I've read the book, I'm still picking up subtle details. Amazing work.

I just read that for the first time after reading your thoughts. I wish I hadn't, because now I am sitting here at work choking back tears.

First off, oh god, Mike. Good luck with the last issue of Secret Six.

Criminal: Last of the Innocent #3: This just keeps getting better and better. We see the aftermath of Rileys putting the plan into the action, and the collateral damage he's enacted on those around him. He's a scumbag, bit you still kind of want to see him get away with it. The last few pages look to be leading somewhere interesting. And if you've been following Brubakers Twitter, yes, there is a character that resembles Wil Wheaton. :P

Alpha Flight #3: A bit of a lull in things as the team escapes and tries to figure out what the hell is going on. There look to be some pretty interesting developments happening with individual characters, Aurora especially. Still lots of tension, though. Can't wait to see what happens next month.

Fear Itself #5: This is really getting interesting. Definitely looking like they might not actually pull through, but given the previews, we know that might become otherwise. The developments I'm most interested in, though?

Tony negotiating with Odin to use Asgards forge, and Franklin using his power to get Unca Ben back

. Can't wait to see what happens next month.

Comics: 34

Trades: 2

PunisherMAX #16

After finding his own voice with the title character, Jason Aaron is finally writing a Punisher that's not Ennis-lite. This, the final issue in a six-part story telling the final days of the Castle family, reveals a few surprise elements to the Punisher's origin. And it even gives a new take on his name. Aaron's angle on Castle is very interesting, and it makes me want to go back to read the beginning of his run, then follow it through to the end.

Fear Itself #5

This is my favorite company-wide event in a long time, and it just keeps getting better.

Batman, Inc. #1-2

While I liked both of these issues, the second just seems to wrap up because the page count was running out. That was jarring.

Detective Comics #871-873

So far, this is the best Batman I've read in ages. However, the twist regarding The Dealer came too far out of left field. Okay, yeah, sure, it makes sense in that he steals and sells supervillain chemicals and tech, but he's never shown using them. So there was nothing to establish the reveal. Otherwise, though, great stuff. Especially the second stories about Jim.

Detective Comics #874-878

The slow burn to the final confrontation with James Gordon, Jr. is killing me -- in a good way. I can't wait to see how it all pays off.

Scott Snyder does a great job writing Dick as Batman. He has that much-needed dark edge, but there's a keen difference in how he looks at life. And that comes through. He also moves much more gracefully, so even in the art it's clear this isn't Bruce.

When it's all said and done, I hope they collect all 11 issues in a massive trade.

Comic books: 103

Trade paperbacks: 17

Graphic novels: 0

Detective Comics #879-881

An otherwise subtle, intricate plot came to a close with a crash. The final issue isn't bad -- in fact, it downright frightened me at times -- but James Jr. went from being John Doe to John Kramer, and that's sad. However, I don't blame Snyder. I'm willing to bet he had several more issues planned, but when he got word of the impending reboot, he had to wrap things up quickly. Too quickly. And so we wound up with a mustache-twirling, "Let me explain the details of my wonderful plan" villain.

Overall, though, this is still the best Detective Comics run I've read in a very long time, and I highly recommend it.

Comic books: 106

Journey into Mystery #626: This book just keeps getting better and better. This issue is all about Loki using his cunning to the hilt into tricking a demon into his service, and the entity he recruits at the end of the issue will make you go FUCK YEAH. Well done, kid. The random bits with Tyr and Leah referring to something that's going on in another book is a touch annoying, but I assume it will be explained if it's as relevant as they want to make us think it is. Can't wait to see what he pulls next issue.

Comics: 35

Trades:: 2

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 473

Batgirl #24

Batman 80-Page Giant 2011

Batman and Robin #26

Birds of Prey #15

Booster Gold #47

Detective Comics #881

Red Robin #26

THUNDER Agents #10

War of the Green Lanterns: Aftermath #2

Comic books: 115

Just realized I'm easily going to break 1000 comics this year. Did not expect that. Most of them are oldies though, like:

Eternal Warrior #1-50 + 2 Yearbooks-Jackson Guice, Paul Gulacy, Barry Windsor Smith, Rags Morales. Stop me when I get to a bad artist. I think people tend to think of Valiant as the publisher more concerned with story than art. Me too, even. But that's only in comparison to IMage and the Big Two who, at the time were trying desperately to ape Image guys on their books. There's a reason Valiant had half the market share once. Amazing stuff. I'm moving on to Archer & Armstrong next.

I have others but they're not beside me right now.

Comics: 843

Trades: 22

Graphic Novels: 1

Omnibuses: 5

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 474

Batman #713

Green Lantern Corps #63

Justice League of America #60

Legion of Super-Heroes #16

Power Girl #27

Superboy #11

Supergirl #67

Superman / Batman #87

Titans #38

Zatanna #16

Comic books: 125

Avengers Academy vol 1- i bought this simply to fill myself in on future volumes that will contain Raney art. I was blown away by Gage`s incredibly impressive grasp of teenagers. the supporting Avengers are amazingly well-written as well. McKone`s art is also brilliant. Spotlighted by a fill-in issue drawn by someone else. Yuck. great stuff. I`ll continue with the trades!

Knight and Squire vol 1- in a word: awful. The art is inconsistent at best and there isn`t a semblance of a story until issue 5. Fucking waste of money. they try so hard to be Seaguy but it comes across as peeguy. Yeah, I went there. Disappointed in Cornell bigtime, here.

Comics: 843

Trades: 24

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 475

Action Comics #904

Batman: Gates of Gotham #5

Batman: The Dark Knight #5

Batman, Inc. #8

Brightest Day Aftermath: The Search for Swamp Thing #3

Gotham City Sirens #26

Green Arrow #15

Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors #13

Justice Society of America #54

Teen Titans #100

Wonder Woman #614

Xombi #6

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 476

Catwoman (1993) #1

Fear Itself #3

Gotham City Sirens #24

Savage Dragon (1993) #3

Spider-Man 2099 #10

Ultimate Spider-Man #160

Comic books: 143

Archer & Armstrong #0-26: the first 12 issues written and drawn by Barry Windsor Smith I'd put up against any other run of the era and it would probably win. Consistently good throughout. There's a reason Valiant gave the big two a run for the money in the 90s, and it's because they weren't as good.

Comics: 870

Trades: 24

Thoughts in Earth-2.net: The Show 476 or 477

Flashpoint #1-5

Justice League #1

Ruins #1-2

The opposite take on Marvels, as written by Warren Ellis. Basically, imagine if Ben Grimm didn't pilot the rocket that made him and the others the Fantastic Four. Instead, Victor von Doom went in Grimm's place, and everyone died from radiation poisoning / mutation shortly after impact. From there, the world went to hell. Quickly. It's a frightening look at how superheroes and radiation-based powers would truly alter the world.

It's not easy to find, but it's so worth it. Especially for Terese Nielsen's sketchy art. It too is a taken on Marvels, as if Alex Ross painted it while having a seizure on acid.

Comic books: 151