2011 Resolutions

dc20willsave

Hey everyone, new year, new set of things that we want to do with ourselves in the coming year.

My own:

-Lose weight. I say this every year. This year I kinda want to get it done.

-Finish College. I can't afford to keep on putting off the two classes I need to graduate.

-Write more. I don't care if this is using my crappy blog more, writing fiction, non-fiction, whatever. My major is Creative Writing and if I don't write, what's the point?

-Buy some new clothes. I buy new socks and underwear when I need it but I'm still wearing some of the same clothes I had in High School.

-Get into grad school.

-Ge rid of some junk. I have a lot of stuff I don't need and I don't want to become a packrat.

-Switch to trades on some of my monthly comics. This one might be harder since I like knowing what goes on every month and DC's trade department takes forever getting things out.

-Watch some more Anime. I've owned Beck for nearly a year and still need to watch it.

-Get a new phone. My Blackberry has a tracking ball and the thing gets on my freaking nerves.

-Try doing something crazy that I haven't done before. I'm not talking try Canadian Cuisine. I'm talking something like getting published, doing a podcast, relearning how to edit videos, learn to ride a bike. Just something I haven't done before that I think might benefit me as a person.

-Finally, my crazy one, change my forum avatar at least 52 times in this year. Trying to average out about once a week.

Said it before in random but I only have three goals this year-

1- Stop biting my nails- Actually managed this to some extent but I've often caught myself nearly going back to it.

2- Grow my hair out- Already the longest it's been in years, but I'm just going to let it go. This is actually a tough one since my mind's very changeable and at some point I'm bound to just want to head over the barbers and get it shaved to a no 2 all over.

3- Lose weight. My aim is to drop down to 13.5 stone and stay there regularly, which is a full half stone more than I've ever managed before. I'd have trouble going any lower because by exercising I'd also be gaining muscle. Mostly planning on doing this by eating better and cycling everyday.

-Finally, my crazy one, change my forum avatar at least 52 times in this year. Trying to average out about once a week.

I swear I got close to this my first year here. Wasn't even trying, I was just neurotic.

-Get and keep a solid job. Seriously, outside a 3 week temp position I haven't had work since the middle of September. I am having a good word put in for me at a pretty plum job right now, fingers crossed, which leads to...

-Get my financial life back in order. I am behind on rent, owe my parents a couple hundred dollars, have had to defer payments on my student loans and am on a bare bones diet. It's no :I need to change my lifestyle thing, I just need a job, but I'm sick of relying on others to get by (as much as I appreciate it).

-C2E2. Get there. I have been working for this site for over 6 and a half years. Only person to have been working longer is Mike Sims himself. There is going to be a huge party with a bunch of E2ers in 2 and a half months. I need to be there.

-Lose some weight damnit The age old classic, kinda stalled out on that one last year, but I'd still rather lose some more weight.

-Two solid interviews There's a couple of interviews I want to get for AP in the next year. I'll keep you posted in this thread who they are if they happen.

-Get a new phone. My Blackberry has a tracking ball and the thing gets on my freaking nerves.

-Try doing something crazy that I haven't done before. I'm not talking try Canadian Cuisine. I'm talking something like getting published, doing a podcast, relearning how to edit videos, learn to ride a bike. Just something I haven't done before that I think might benefit me as a person.

You have the curve, right? What's wrong with the ball? I like it better than the stupid touchscreen ball thingy they have on the newer models.

Here are my goals:

1) Now that I am in (better) shape, I want to stay in shape.

2) Get that internship again, do something that is meaningful there, but not waste away my summer.

3) Learn some more about the CMD prompt, Automator and maybe some basic code for programs.

4) You know what? Lets be crazy. 52 new avatars, Just like Will.

5) See my (extended) family more.

6) Finish the school year with a 3.8 or higher.

You have the curve, right? What's wrong with the ball? I like it better than the stupid touchscreen ball thingy they have on the newer models.

It's alright but when I'm scrolling down with the ball, sometimes it won't scroll down. The ball is stuck on something and it takes a bit of effort to fix it. Really, thinking of getting an Android enabled phone.

I'm going to copy the majority of Kellen's resolutions.

-Get and keep a solid job. I'm currently touting myself as a freelancer and just about making ends meet, but a proper job would be very preferable.

-Get my financial life back in order. Whilst I don't have any debts immediately chasing me, it's only a matter of time until the bank that lent me £10k for my MA course remember me.

-C2E2. Get there. Pay for my hotel room. Hi Stavros!

-Lose some weight damnit I'm currently 15 stone, and when I have my "solid" job, I'd like to join the local rowing club and get back into boating to sort out my recent lack of exercise.

-Start a website My occupational passion is museums and I'm currently in the process of putting together a museum blog of everywhere I've been since the beginning of 2008. I want to turn my journal/blog entries into reviews that volunteers and casual users of the website can use to recommend museums in the UK and, over time, internationally as well.

-Get and keep a solid job. I'm currently touting myself as a freelancer and just about making ends meet, but a proper job would be very preferable.

-Get my financial life back in order. Whilst I don't have any debts immediately chasing me, it's only a matter of time until the bank that lent me £10k for my MA course remember me.

-Lose some weight damnit I'm currently 15 stone, and when I have my "solid" job, I'd like to join the local rowing club and get back into boating to sort out my recent lack of exercise.

-Start a website My occupational passion is museums and I'm currently in the process of putting together a museum blog of everywhere I've been since the beginning of 2008. I want to turn my journal/blog entries into reviews that volunteers and casual users of the website can use to recommend museums in the UK and, over time, internationally as well.

With rampant plagiarism like that, how on earth do you think you can run a website?

With rampant plagiarism like that, how on earth do you think you can run a website?

With the profound hope that you know bugger all about British museums. Here's hoping that strong hunch of mine is reliable!! ;)

1-Gain Weight: Running operations in the jungle this year caused me to lose a lot of body mass. I'm currently at 168 and want to get up to 190.

I've got some body mass you can borrow.

Borrow? So I'll have to give it back? I'm in the market to own, not rent.

1.) Get another tattoo

2.) Gain some weight

3.) Write a lot more

4.) Get some serious work done to my new house after I get my tax return--most notably getting the pool cleaned out, the hot tub running, and a plumbing leak fixed.

5.) Finally get back to work on the "Symphony and Animetallica" series.

Let's see what I can come up with.

1) Be More Active: I have a gym membership, I just need to make myself start going again. Not really a weight issue, not saying losing some wouldn't hurt, but I just need to be more active. Once spring/summer hits, taking walks and playing ball will help with this.

2) Try To Cook: I try and it generally works out well. And I actually enjoy doing it. But I always fall into eating the quick meal. Need to do better.

3) Media: I have a massive backlog of various forms of media just sitting around me. I have a stack of CDs and countless mp3s to listen to. About 40 UFC PPVs. One shelf of DVDs. 11 TV series on DVD. Two shelves of novels. A couple boxes of comics. And lastly, a metric shit ton of wrestling. I was making some decent progress before the holidays. There is zero chance I get through everything, but if I even take this down by 25% I would be thrilled.

4) Vacation: I have never been on a vacation in my life. I want to do that this year. I want to visit every MLB stadium and currently stand at 3. I looked at the Reds schedule last August, and was thinking about seeing them play in Baltimore. Or possibly going to DC for a Nationals game and hitting the Pirates on the way back. Either way, save money now and have the chance of fun later.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm at the halfway point, let's see how I'm doing.

-Lose weight. (I'm maintaining where I am, just need to eat better really.)

-Finish College. (I know I won't be accomplishing this this year but I'm going to make progress towards being there next year.)

-Write more. (I've done some, need to do more, really.)

-Buy some new clothes. (Success here. I buy at least one new article ever couple of months. No full fledged wardrobe shift but still, I'm able to start retiring some of the more shredded stuff out.)

-Get into grad school. (That means graduating so I need to motly start on applying, maybe just decide what the hell it is that I want.)

-Ge rid of some junk. (I really need to start working on this.)

-Switch to trades on some of my monthly comics. This one might be harder since I like knowing what goes on every month and DC's trade department takes forever getting things out. (Going to take advantage of September to do that.)

-Watch some more Anime. (Finished and loved Beck and Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles. I need to finish a couple of the series that I just started and never got to the end of.)

-Get a new phone. (Might do that this weekend.)

-Try doing something crazy that I haven't done before. (I got my segment on Big Damn Heroes and I got some ideas in my head for some crazy other stuff.)

-Finally, my crazy one, change my forum avatar at least 52 times in this year. Trying to average out about once a week. (At 26 with at least two other avatars all ready to go.)

-Get and keep a solid job. Seriously, outside a 3 week temp position I haven't had work since the middle of September. I am having a good word put in for me at a pretty plum job right now, fingers crossed, which leads to... Done!

-Get my financial life back in order. I am behind on rent, owe my parents a couple hundred dollars, have had to defer payments on my student loans and am on a bare bones diet. It's no :I need to change my lifestyle thing, I just need a job, but I'm sick of relying on others to get by (as much as I appreciate it). Getting there, all I still owe is my parents (which is coming soon) and student loans (which is more of a 10 year plan, and payments are being made).

-C2E2. Get there. I have been working for this site for over 6 and a half years. Only person to have been working longer is Mike Sims himself. There is going to be a huge party with a bunch of E2ers in 2 and a half months. I need to be there. Failed, next year hopefully.

-Lose some weight damnit The age old classic, kinda stalled out on that one last year, but I'd still rather lose some more weight. The usual, kinda fell off the wagon after I had money to buy different kinds of food

-Two solid interviews There's a couple of interviews I want to get for AP in the next year. I'll keep you posted in this thread who they are if they happen. One Down, one to go (fingers crossed)

Get a job. Nope

Save more money. Didn't happen

Keep the spending limit low. Failed this too

Lose some weight. Gained weight, so that's so far sucked.

Try and write something. Well, that hasn't worked out yet

Pass 3rd year Uni and figure out if I want to go back for 4th. Fucked this one up

Figure out what I want to do for a career and work out if I want to live in Scotland, or go around the world with my life. I'll get back to you on this one.

Halfway point, and nothing achieved on the list. So, bugger.

Let's see what I can come up with.

1) Be More Active: I have a gym membership, I just need to make myself start going again. Not really a weight issue, not saying losing some wouldn't hurt, but I just need to be more active. Once spring/summer hits, taking walks and playing ball will help with this.

Double fail. Not stepped foot in the gym. Also, weekly basketball seems to not be as easy when everyone but me works 60 hr weeks.

2) Try To Cook: I try and it generally works out well. And I actually enjoy doing it. But I always fall into eating the quick meal. Need to do better.

Fail, for the most part.

3) Media: I have a massive backlog of various forms of media just sitting around me. I have a stack of CDs and countless mp3s to listen to. About 40 UFC PPVs. One shelf of DVDs. 11 TV series on DVD. Two shelves of novels. A couple boxes of comics. And lastly, a metric shit ton of wrestling. I was making some decent progress before the holidays. There is zero chance I get through everything, but if I even take this down by 25% I would be thrilled.

Shockingly to me, major headway has been made. The stack of CDs are gone (and they were all crap). 1/3 of mp3s are listen to and the crap deleted. Shelf of DVDs has only five left on it. So progress, which is all I wanted.

4) Vacation: I have never been on a vacation in my life. I want to do that this year. I want to visit every MLB stadium and currently stand at 3. I looked at the Reds schedule last August, and was thinking about seeing them play in Baltimore. Or possibly going to DC for a Nationals game and hitting the Pirates on the way back. Either way, save money now and have the chance of fun later.

Well, I went to Baltimore to see the Reds play the Orioles. Not so much a vacation, with the not staying, but the four days straight off work was needed.

• 5 months later...

Get a job. Nope

Save more money. Didn't happen

Keep the spending limit low. Failed this too

Lose some weight. Gained weight, so that's so far sucked.

Try and write something. Well, that hasn't worked out yet

Pass 3rd year Uni and figure out if I want to go back for 4th. Fucked this one up

Figure out what I want to do for a career and work out if I want to live in Scotland, or go around the world with my life. I'll get back to you on this one.

Halfway point, and nothing achieved on the list. So, bugger.

End of year bump. Looks like I screwed up my list. Not surprising, I may have went a bit overboard with the stuff I intended to do. I am trying to lose weight, and making some changes, so I guess that's a small start of something.

-Get and keep a solid job. Seriously, outside a 3 week temp position I haven't had work since the middle of September. I am having a good word put in for me at a pretty plum job right now, fingers crossed, which leads to... [Got a job in April, got promoted in September, so solid]

-Get my financial life back in order. I am behind on rent, owe my parents a couple hundred dollars, have had to defer payments on my student loans and am on a bare bones diet. It's no :I need to change my lifestyle thing, I just need a job, but I'm sick of relying on others to get by (as much as I appreciate it). [Getting there, owe my parents about $1600 now, though most of that debt is for Jets tickets. I was not expecting an NHL team to move to Winnipeg. Paying student loans and everything else is paid off]

-C2E2. Get there. I have been working for this site for over 6 and a half years. Only person to have been working longer is Mike Sims himself. There is going to be a huge party with a bunch of E2ers in 2 and a half months. I need to be there. [Nope, maybe next year, though that $1600 may make things tough]

-Lose some weight damnit The age old classic, kinda stalled out on that one last year, but I'd still rather lose some more weight. [Currently 270, most I've ever weighed. Oops]

-Two solid interviews There's a couple of interviews I want to get for AP in the next year. I'll keep you posted in this thread who they are if they happen.[Got one of them]