Flashpoint

SuaveStar

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For a few weeks now I've had a big fear about the lasting ramifications of Flashpoint. It's a niggling thought that I hope I'm wrong about, but I worry will become very real. Then today I've read rumors that, yes, some of the changes brought about by Flashpoint will become cannon after the event wraps up and will make national headlines for DC, which only worsened my apprehension.

That fear? Flashpoint will be used to remove Dick Grayson from continuity.

The tagline of the three-issue series Deadman & The Flying Graysons also worries me: "The final performance of The Flying Graysons."

At least one of them will die (RE: Dick), somehow this will ripple into the main continuity, thus solving the problem of Dick Grayson and Bruce Wayne's ages being too close together.

For a few weeks now I've had a big fear about the lasting ramifications of Flashpoint. It's a niggling thought that I hope I'm wrong about, but I worry will become very real. Then today I've read rumors that, yes, some of the changes brought about by Flashpoint will become cannon after the event wraps up and will make national headlines for DC, which only worsened my apprehension.

The tagline of the three-issue series Deadman & The Flying Graysons also worries me: "The final performance of The Flying Graysons."

At least one of them will die (RE: Dick), somehow this will ripple into the main continuity, thus solving the problem of Dick Grayson and Bruce Wayne's ages being too close together.

It'd probably de-age Dick at the most to early to mid twenties. I don't think DC would pull that with Dick after the Infinite Crisis situation.

You could very well be right, because what the hell do I know about comics?! But wasn't Grayson's death strongly rumoured before for some major event/arc? And he avoided that and became Batman.

I'm still suprised that Return wasn't used as a way of deaging Bruce. Still, I don't see them killing Dick. Didio has hit the point where I don't see him letting it happen just because he remembers the headaches coming out of Infinite Crisis to the point where he still gets asked about it at cons. Who knows, with The Flash getting canceled, maybe we'll be lucky and Barry is getting killed again.

I don't think that Didio is going to be dumb enough to kill off Dick, especially with the fanboyism he was showing at the DC Icons panel.

However, since Deadman is involved, I think maybe this alternate continuity would have Deadman teaming up with Dick to solve the murder of his parents.

I don't think that Didio is going to be dumb enough to kill off Dick, especially with the fanboyism he was showing at the DC Icons panel.

However, since Deadman is involved, I think maybe this alternate continuity would have Deadman teaming up with Dick to solve the murder of his parents.

That would link into the end of a recent Judd Winnick storyline on Batman. And clear up a dangling plot thread, where Dick found out that Bruce was looking into the death of Dick's parents again, for some reason.

Nah. No way they're killing Dick. It just doesn't make much sense for this event, especially when the main book is Flash-focused.

Besides, if he's removed from continuity, how would anything make sense anymore? All the other Robins have been heavily influenced by Dick, to the point where it would just entirely screw up their characters.

Flashpoint solicitation reveals:

FLASH QUESTION: Will Sinestro side with Abin Sur against the Guardians of Oa, or is all hope lost?

FLASHPOINT: ABIN SUR – THE GREEN LANTERN #2

Written by ADAM SCHLAGMAN

Art and cover by FELIPE MASSAFERA

On sale JULY 6 • 2 of 3, 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

FLASH QUESTION: Will Booster be able to stop Doomsday and help The Flash – or has his time come to an end?

BOOSTER GOLD #46

Written by DAN JURGENS

Art and cover by DAN JURGENS and NORM RAPMUND

On sale JULY 13 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

FLASH QUESTION: Who is The Joker? And what is his dark connection to the Wayne family?

FLASHPOINT: BATMAN – KNIGHT OF VENGEANCE #2

Written by BRIAN AZZARELLO

Art by EDUARDO RISSO

Cover by DAVE JOHNSON

On sale JULY 6 • 2 of 3, 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

FLASH QUESTION: Will Central City’s greatest hero be able to stand against the Rogues?

FLASHPOINT: CITIZEN COLD #2

Written by SCOTT KOLINS

Art and cover by SCOTT KOLINS

On sale JULY 13 • 2 of 3, 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T

• 3 weeks later...

So Flash #11 with art by Scott Kolins. I wish Kolins would go back to his old style. The new style may work in places, but The Flash isn't where I like to see it.

Barry has an intervention where everyone is asking why he's been snubbing Bart. It seems like Barry and Bart's relationship is going to be a big part of Flashpoint.

Evil Barry from another Universe also known as Hot Pursuit captures Bart and plans to kill him only for regular Barry to step in and stop him and ask why.

Evil Barry says it's because Bart is the anomaly causing problems in the world. And he must be destroyed. He's been the one causing all the age deaths in Central City recently that Barry has been investigating. Bart, not evil Barry.

Barry calls bullshit, and we cut to a little boy attacking Barry's visiting friend who says he's had to steal people's lives to build up power, as he has got history to rewrite.

All in all, this was a set up for the next issue. It seems like Johns is going for the same thing here that he did with Hal. Building the person up, making it seem like they don't care about anything but the job anymore, and then having them deal with a big giant crossover storyline. Only problem is, Flashpoint feels like it is coming to fast. The Flash book hasn't had any time to breathe before having to work towards a big event.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the first issue and Flash #12 went well together, The Flash series itself ended on a whimper, with the promise that Flashpoint would take over from there, with the only important point being:

Reverse Flash killing Hot Pursuit, alternate Universe Barry, therefore killing a Barry Allen, which is what he always wanted.

Issue 12 was mostly drawn by Scott Kolins, who is finally getting me interested in that weird new style of watercolour drawing that he does.

Flashpoint #1: Basic event set up, setting up the world, and the worlds top heroes Commander Cold, and Cyborg. That isn't a spoiler to say they are the main heroes in this world. The issue was drawn very nicely, and the last page was suprising:

Flashpoint Batman isn't Bruce Wayne. The Flashpoint Batman is Thomas Wayne.

The art was great, and it was a first issue which was alright, but coming off of the first issue of Blackest Night, for an event, I felt this was a bit too slow. But maybe that is the theme of this, the fastest man alive having to slow down to solve the problems of Flashpoint.

Also, the first issue spent a good while fleshing out the miniseries that would tie into Flashpoint, which was a nice way to get people interested in the tie-ins.

Not the best first issue of an event ever, as it felt very slow paced, but it was still a good opening. I'll wait till issue 2 to see if things get more interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Flashpoint #2:

Batman joins the Flash and puts him in an electric chair to get Barry his powers back. Barry is left a charred corpse at the end of the issue. Batman also asks "What kind of name is Eobard" which is a good point.

Aquaman attacks Deathstroke's pirate ship, where Clayface is a member, and is also in cahoots with his brother The Ocean master, who he tells when they get on Deathstroke's ship: Leave no survivors.

Wonder Woman catches Steve Trevor, who reveals in Flashpoint he is in love with Lois Lane.

An alright issue. I know they can't all be fantastic issues, but with only five issues of the main series to play with, you'd think Johns would have a lot more going on, and have it not just be "To read more about Aquaman/Deathstroke/Lois Lane etc. Read the mini series."

I've just finished reading the Batman book, and, it kind of sucked. The differences were:

Gordon knows Thomas Wayne is Batman

Harvey Dent is still the DA

Hush did exist here, but they said, along with Poison Ivy is dead.

Batman has no problem killing people, as he kills Killer Croc here, and says Arkham is not working.

Oswald Cobblepot works for Thomas.

The Joker seems to be a paedophile, going by the last page where he's shown to look like Heath Ledger and has two kids in an abandoned house talking about playing "Mommy and Daddy"

So, of this weeks tie in books that I've read:

Booster Gold wasn't that great, and felt like padding. This issue, and last months could have easily been one issue.

Emperor Aquaman: Made no real sense, and was sort of shit.

Citizen Cold: Scott Kolins new style is finally starting to grow on me.

He's basically the Flash, in that he's the main enemy of the rogues, who's he quite happily will kill. In this issue he killed Mr Freeze in front of a cheering crowd. He's also a con man, and he knows it, he's really a villain and is just waiting for the day that he's found out, which was today, when Iris West's cameraman finds out who the Cold really is, but before he can tell her, the driver is killed by Cold, as Iris shouts down a phone "Wally! Are you there!?"