Flashpoint

SuaveStar

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flashpoint IS bombing. And yet they're going forward with everything. They've planned a total reboot of their line- it's too late to turn back now.

I wouldn't say it's bombing. It's just not doing as well as DC hoped. They hoped lightning would strike twice, after how well Blackest Night did.

Flashpoint IS bombing. And yet they're going forward with everything. They've planned a total reboot of their line- it's too late to turn back now.

I wouldn't say it's bombing. It's just not doing as well as DC hoped. They hoped lightning would strike twice, after how well Blackest Night did.

Problem with that is Blackest Night was a Green Lantern book. DC has no problem selling Green Lantern and Batman. It's everything else that's fucked.

They barely marketed it. It's like a mini-event.

It's true, it doesn't feel consequential. I've been reading both and in one it's all elseworlds so there's no consequences and in the other Gargoyle is reducing Paris to rubble. And that's just in Invincible Iron Man, in the main book they're once again redefining the role of Asgard in relation to humanity and putting forth a magical threat that they most likely can't defeat it seems.

Stakes can get out of control, but at least Marvel has them.

I like Flashpoint a lot. But I think part of the reason I enjoy it is because it's not a gigantic, nothing-will-ever-be-the-same-again type of thing. (Even though technically, after it's over, nothing ever will be the same) It's just a really nicely-told story. Were it just an arc in the Flash comics and not an event, people would be praising it. Now it's like they're expecting it to be the next Blackest Night.

To sum up Reverse Flash:

This book shows how Thawne caused the accident, by trying to stop the accident, he stopped himself from existing, so he knew he could never kill Barry, he would just make his life miserable. If you've heard about what happened in Flash: Rebirth you know what comes next with Thawne ruining Barry's life, taking out his friends from existence, and causing Barry to have accidents and be a loner. The issue ends with Thawne going to Barry's mother and saying, it's her time to die.

This revealed nothing about the overall Flashpoint story, that wasn't already known, and if you want to read a good recent story starring the Reverse Flash, read the issue of the main Flash series (#8 I think) with the reverse Flash cover. It's the same book, but has Scott Kolins art, which is a lot nicer to look at.

I'm also done with the tie in books. I'm going to read Batman, and maybe one or two more, but there are too many tie-ins, it's overkill.

Flashpoint #3 was the best issue so far:

Barry is in pain, the lightning bolt doesn't actually work, and he's on a surgery table in the Batcave. Barry then asks Thomas to do the lightning attack again, and they go back to the roof and start over again, and this time it actually works. Batman asks Barry to put on the Reverse Flash costume, and Barry responds and says he'd rather just make a new Flash costume, which he does.

The two go and meet Cyborg, who takes them to project Superman, which is Kal El, as a scrawny middle aged man, with no muscle mass, and afraid of everything. When the security from Project Superman find the trio and Kal, just outside of the Project Superman bunker, where Superman begins to fly. Batman asks Kal El to do something and Kal says "Ok" and flies away, leaving Cyborg, Barry and Batman dealing with the armed security team.

Flashpoint: Batman was awesome. Made up for the middle of the road first issue:

The Joker slits Commissioner Gordon's throat, after Gordon accidentally kills one of Harvey Dent's kids. Oracle in Flashpoint is revealed to be Selina Kyle, who is a paraplegic, but still surrounded by cats. Babara Gordon was never born, as Jim never got married, and never had kids.

Batman wonders about how he has ruined the lives of those around him, as he hears Gordon die, Batman runs into Wayne manor and screams at the top of his lungs "What have you done this time, Martha!" and the Joker is revealed to be Martha Wayne.

My only real gripe with Batman is the artists need to sign his name on every fourth page of the book, it sort of took me out of the story. Otherwise, this was great.

Babs never being born in the Flashpoint universe actually gives some confirmation to something huge. In the post-crisis DCU, Babs was Gordon's adopted daughter from his brother and his wife but then a few years back it was revealed that James had an affair with Thelma and that Babs might be his. This is as close to a confirmation that we've ever received.