The PSP Thread

Missy

Symantec identifies Trojan targeting gaming devices

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Security software experts identified a malicious program targeting Sony Playstation Portable systems that marks the first so-called Trojan found in video game devices, Symantec Corp. (Nasdaq:SYMC - news) said on Thursday.

The world's biggest security software maker said the Trojan represented a low-level threat, only affecting machines users have modified with their own code. A Trojan is a destructive program that masquerades as a harmless application.

"It does not affect the average user," said Eric Chien, a principle software engineer at Symantec. "This is the first time we have seen a Trojan on a gaming device."

He explained the Trojan says it is a file named "EXPLOIT 2G PSP Team V1.RAR" that allows users to run their own code on the Sony devices, but in fact destroys the machine.

Symantec researchers identified the Trojan when monitoring online chat-rooms used by the gaming community. Chien said the discovery is evidence hackers are expanding their targets.

"It goes to show malicious code writers aren't just targeting personal computers and aren't just trying to get some replicating code to infect the machines," Chien said "Anything that can run code is potentially being targeted."

• 2 weeks later...
Sony Announces PSP Giga Pack

A PSP and a one gig Memory Stick, complete with all the fixings.

by Anoop Gantayat

October 20, 2005 - Sony Computer Entertainment announced today the PSP Giga Pack for worldwide release later this year. The Giga Pack is a bundle that includes the PSP hardware, AC Adapter, standard battery pack, headphones with remote control, pouch, cloth, USB cable and a stand. And the best part: an included one gig Memory Stick.

In Japan, the Giga Pack will be available in two colors: black (PSP-1000 G1) and ceramic white (PSP-1000 G1CW). Both versions will include white headphone/remote sets. The black version of the system will include a black pouch and light gray cloth, with the white version including white versions of both accessories. Pricing for both packs is set at 29,800 yen, or about $270 US.

The PSP is currently available in two forms in Japan: a bare bones standard package and a value package which mirrors the system's US packaging. Both of these packages will continue to be available once the Giga Pack has been released. The Giga Pack is actually a limited edition version of the system designed for the holiday sales rush. Sony expects to have enough stock to last through the start of the new year, with supplies starting to run thin following that.

The Giga Pack will also be made available in North America, Europe and other parts of Asia in November. We'll have details on the US release shortly.

• 6 months later...
LOS ANGELES - May 4, 2006 - Nyko Technologies, a peripherals manufacturer dedicated to enhancing the digital lifestyle, is now shipping the highly-anticipated Play on TV Adapter for the SonyR PSP to retailers. The Plug-and-Play accessory features patented technology and gives PSP enthusiasts the long-awaited ability to view their favorite UMD movies and video games on their home television screen. Gamers can now acquire the new and trend-setting Play on TV Adaptor from major outlets nationwide.

Nyko's Play on TV Adapter turns Sony's popular handheld device into a home media and entertainment center. The Play on TV Adaptor lets gamers watch UMD movies and play games on the television screen by connecting with the provided RCA cables. The accessory features a high-quality sensor and lens combination tuned to the PSP screen, eliminating the need for adjustments. The unit also includes audio output directly from the PSP to the television so users can enjoy their content in stereo-sound. The plug-and-play aspect allows for quick installment, while the lightweight, snap-on design makes the product simple to use and easy to transport.

"Our fans told us they wanted to experience PSP games and UMD movies on their TV's, expanding the uses of their content." said Susan Corben, vice president of marketing, Nyko Technologies. "One step ahead at Nyko, we anticipated this request and solved the problem by developing the Play on TV Adapter."

The Play on TV Adaptor for PSP features:

- Snap-on design makes device completely plug-and-play

- Lightweight, compact design allows for easy transport

- UMD games and movies play on the television screen with provided RCA cables, without a need to adjust PSP settings

- Patented technology accurately reproduces image on the PSP screen and transmits it to the TV monitor

- Stereo audio output directly from the PSP to the television allows movies and games to play in surround-sound

Nyko's Play On TV Adaptor is currently available at GameStop for $79.99. For a complete list of retailers, please visit www.nyko.com

• 7 months later...

Is Sony planning on doing a redesign for the PSP? I have been looking into buying one for a while but I have been noticing as of late the console price has been droping. This is much like what happend to the DS before the DS lite came out.

Is Sony planning on doing a redesign for the PSP? I have been looking into buying one for a while but I have been noticing as of late the console price has been droping. This is much like what happend to the DS before the DS lite came out.

The price is dropping because it's not selling. I don't know if they are doing a redesign or not.

Well the PSP itself has shipped 22.94 million units, while (from memory) there is only around 3-4 million total game sales. I think the big thing is a lot of PSP owners bought it as a multimedia device rather than as a portable game console. Let’s not forget that besides being a UMD player, it also has mp4 video playback, WMA, AAC and mp3 playback, a picture viewer and a web browser. Of course UMD sales declined pretty quickly, but it probably enticed more than it’s fair share of initial sales. Sales in Japan are probably largely due to all the spiffy features available for the PSP in Japan that aren’t available anywhere else.

And there’s also the homebrew crowd. The PSP is capable of emulating just about all of the earlier consoles, including it’s own UMD games, and just recently was hacked so it could play PSOne games at 100% speed. Hackers are constantly finding ways to get around Sony’s firmware updates, and some of the homebrew programs people have made are amazing. I don’t think homebrew has had a major impact, but it seems like it’s a pretty thriving scene. I’ve talked to a few people who brought more than one PSP just so they could use one specifically for homebrew.

Outside of that, I don’t know why game sales are so bad. Maybe it’s because the big games are few and far between, maybe it's due to bad advertising. I've got no idea honestly.

Oh man, as an Ace Combat junkie, I would kill for that game. Still, I'm too cheap to get a PSP. Havn't played the game but sounds like a winner.

The only Ace Combat game I played was AC2 on the PS. It was awesome. I don't know why I never played another AC game after that. But the reviews I have read say that ACX is great as a pick-it-up-and-play-whenever-you-want game. That's what I'm looking for in my future PSP games--stuff I can play on my breaks at work and whatnot.

The price is dropping because it's not selling. I don't know if they are doing a redesign or not.

Actually the PSP, itself, is a commercial success with the latest sales figures putting it a little under 4 million units sold behind the DS. It's the games that aren't selling, which is a shame, as there are some pretty good ones out there.

• 10 months later...
While Sony's shiny black handheld has been doing reasonably well in the marketplace, it's been hard for most gamers and pundits to focus on its relative success while Nintendo's dual-screened handheld lumbers through sales statistics like Godzilla, toppling buildings and wrestling Mothra.

It's not as if PSP is doing poorly though, and the report from two months ago regarding a strong Japanese launch of the PSP Slim was heartening. Today, there's more good news for Sony, as GamesIndustry.biz reports that to date the handheld has topped 1 million sales of the Slim PSP. This is no doubt partly thanks to it launching with Final Fantasy VII: Crisis Core, which has the words "Final Fantasy VII" right in the title and thus guarantees success.

The report also points out that the Slim has reached the million mark earlier than its predecessor by two weeks, meaning it's off to a stronger start than the original PSP.

source

Pretty good to see the slim line is off to a good start. Like the article says, it helps to have Crisis Core selling 350,000 units on it's first day, and I'm sure some of those people were also buying a PSP for the first time.