Bandwidth issues

Missy

On Thursday the forums went down due to a rogue search engine sapping our bandwidth. To get them back up, I paid for an extra 5 GB of bandwidth. Within two days, the search engine struck again, which is why they were down this evening. So I had IPB (the hosting company) block the IP address of the search engine and bought another 5 GB of bandwidth. That should solve the problem. However, if this happens again, I don't know what to do. I can't drop extra money every few days, and I'm not keen on the upgrades they offer. (Upgrading will give us unlimited bandwidth, but it does limit the number of people that can be online at once. Since it doesn't differentiate between real users and bots, that could be a problem for people who actually want to use the forums.)

Cross your fingers that the problem is solved.

Forgive my ignorance of such matters, but can anything be deleted to help this problem? Because I was going to say if you want to delete my real early AMV's off the Video page, I would have no problem with that. They suck and they're high in megabyte-age.

Forgive my ignorance of such matters, but can anything be deleted to help this problem? Because I was going to say if you want to delete my real early AMV's off the Video page, I would have no problem with that. They suck and they're high in megabyte-age.

No, bandwidth has to do with the amount of data transferred, not the amount stored on the site.

What the fuck? A rogue search engine? Those exist?

I know, right? Is Skynet already real and we just didn't know about it til now?

What the fuck? A rogue search engine? Those exist?

Yeah, that was new to me, too.

Basically, I assume it archives the forums all at once, rather than a piece at a time over time. But that's a guess.

We're good when it comes to the site itself. It's the forums that are being hit.

Goddamn Skynet. Instead of just nuking us out of our misery like any decent malevolent sentient AI its decided to give us death by 1000 tiny cuts. This is also why I can't pay off my credit card online, and why I've never been able to access my university e-mail.

• 2 weeks later...

Last time the forums went down, it was due to a rogue search agent. This time it was because Google, Bing, MSN, and Yahoo all decided to hit the site at once. And hard.

It looks like I'll have to upgrade the forums, which has pros and cons:

Pros

- Unlimited bandwidth.

- More disc space.

- New features.

Cons

- It could limit the number of active (RE: simultaneous) users.

- The chat room would also have a 20-user cap. (Not that it ever gets over 20, but it's the point.)

- The cost would increase greatly.

If the problem is the search engines hitting the site all at once, is there any way to bust down on like that like making, say, most of the forum only viewable if you're logged in. I know there's that one forum section that's only viewable if you're a guest. I dunno, maybe unless you're logged in, the only forums visible are News & Feedback and the Podcast forums. I don't know if that would keep the search engines from flaring through.

If the only solution is to upgrade the forums, let us know. I'm sure most of us can donate towards helping with it.

There's a way to limit how they archive the forums, but it isn't foolproof. In fact, I was outright told Google will work around it.

One of the potential new features is something I was looking into anyway, and it could help offset the price increase. But I won't know until it's in place.