Throwing a Doctor Who newbie into the deep end

Dan

18 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hi all!

I've been getting my very good friend Libby into Doctor Who via the new series, and she's taken to it in a big way very quickly. In a matter of months, she's become quite the Tennant fangirl. (Started her on "Blink". She never had a chance.)

So now, some months later, I'm getting ready to throw some classic series at her. What I'm looking for is peoples' input. Over the course of Bigger on the Inside, Mike and I have frequently said of particularly good stories that they'd be good ones to show a first-timer. What are your suggestions? What would you show her if you were in my shoes? I've put up a poll of certain stories that we've said before would be good for a newbie, but feel free to add your own suggestion. But I'd like to hear what you would pick and why.

If you'd rather send in an email, feel free to send it to feedback@biggerontheinside.com with "Libby" in the subject line.

When Libby watches whatever gets chosen, both here and via email, her reaction will be recorded for posterity. Should be fun.

As always, much appreciated!

I would suggest The Aztecs, The Talons of Wei-Chiang, The Five Doctors, The Two Doctors, The Mind Robber, The Three Doctors, The Keys of Marinus, The Horror of Fang Rock, or the Masque of Mandragora. Those are all personally favorites of mine and all for different reasons. I think they given a nice broad spectrum of what classic Doctor Who has to offer.

I normally suggest Spearhead or City of Death for a complete newbie. No essential previous viewing, straightforward-and-I-mean-that-in-the-good-way stories, good moments in each. Just enough humour in City without getting too silly. Also has that 'here's a writer you may have heard of' bonus.

I think most of the Third Doctor UNIT stories are pretty good for drawing someone in, but by their format they really suggest a different show to what Doctor Who usually is.

How tolerant is your friend of 'good ideas and script, I can live with poor visuals'?

I'd show the first episode of An Unearthly Child just to see how it started. Ignore the rest. The Pyramids of Mars was my first story 30 years ago so I think that worked :smilewinkgrin: I used Talons on my niece and nephew and they watch when they can but not as devoted. Busy teenage lives, I guess.

Other Doctors: THe Aztecs, Tomb of the Cybermen, Time Warrior, The Visitation/Black Orchid, Mark of the Rani, Remembrance of the Daleks

I'm thinking she should start with The Androids of Tara. It was your first story, so you'll share that with her. It has sci-fi elements, plus a pseudo-historical vibe. Grendel was an awesome foe, and Baker's in good form.

Basically, if Libby can get past the guy in the bear costume (RE: "Ignore the rat"), she should enjoy it.

How tolerant is your friend of 'good ideas and script, I can live with poor visuals'?

I asked her to grade that question on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being "not at all true" and 10 being "absolute metaphysical certitude", and she indicated about an 8. So I think a good story and a good script will go a long way towards her enjoying it.

I asked her to grade that question on a scale of 1 to 10, 1 being "not at all true" and 10 being "absolute metaphysical certitude", and she indicated about an 8. So I think a good story and a good script will go a long way towards her enjoying it.

8.....Unless there's big hair.....

8.....Unless there's big hair.....

Of course... Big hair ruins EVERYTHING. ;)

• 1 month later...

This is a tough question. I usually start the Not-We with Ark in Space (since it's the 1st one I watched as a small child), but here are my recommendations, by Doctor:

Hartnell: An Unearthly Child (Pilot & aired 1st ep, if both are available). I would stay away from pure historicals such as The Aztecs unless the viewer is prepared for there not to be any aliens in DW (heresy, these days)

Troughton: The Mind Robber. This story is so damn surreal I could scream.

Pertwee: Inferno. This is honestly the only 7 part story that never feels padded to me.

Davison: Earthshock. The Cybermen are at their absolute best here.

C. Baker: Revelation of the Daleks. It's really a shame it took the production team until the end of Colin's first season to figure out how to write 2 45-min episodes (although the cliffhanger for this one is one of the worst).

McCoy: Curse of Fenric. This era is particularly dire & it really takes me a lot of effort to come up with one story that won't have a newbie shaking his/her head & saying "Why did they ever bring this show back??"

• 9 months later...

Shame I am coming to this so much after the fact. Showed my daughter "The Invisible Enemy" and she loved it. Can't get enough now. Starting with one that isn't great and finding they still enjoy it is the best way, because anyone can enjoy a classic but the fact is that by starting with Talons or City of Death means it is downhill after that.

My vote would have been for The Invisible Enemy.