American Gods

• 7 months later...

I did too, but there was always the question of his race, a couple characters ask if he's Hispanic or black, too.

Edit: Oh! I've seen a couple episodes of The 100, Michelle is a fan. This guy isn't a bad actor.

Edited by Preston

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

In another piece of perfect casting, Peter goddamn Stormare is playing Czernabog. Via Gaiman's twitter. 

Cloris Leachman is playing one of the Zorya, as well. Which puts me in mind of Fraü Blücher. She's a wonderful actress, but she's been playing an old lady for forty years! That's incredible. 

Edited by Preston

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Jesus...Orlando Jones is Mr. Nancy. Perfect.

Orlando Jones is a guy who really should have been a huge star. He was the best part of MAD TV (the originals, anyway) and had his career stomped on in Evolution (a movie unfairly derided). I hope this brings a turnaround to that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Spoiler Free Reaction: HOLY SHIT! Yes. Just... yes!

More detailed thoughts:

For only covering roughly the first 30-ish pages of the book, this did phenomenal work. First off, they could have burdened us with exposition but they're letting the world unfold naturally. I respect that greatly. The Viking Scene at the beginning was a little over the top with it's use of fake blood but it was also intentionally hilarious in how over the top it was.

Performance wise, this was some of the best casting I've seen in an adaptation. Like Des said a year ago, I always saw Shadow as being Native American but this is still full on. It helps that he's easy on the eyes also.

Two things have really stuck with me: The Bliquis Scene and The end of the episode. In the first case, I had been wondering how they would film it and while, towards the end, the CGI was showing, it just added to the creepiness of the entire scene. Like, it was genuinely freaky! As for the end of the episode, Jesus Christ! Not literally Jesus, hell, I'm not sure if they'll include Jesus in this season but that's besides the point.The added fact that Shadow is African-American makes the lynching scene all the more horrifying and adding in the fact that The Technical Kid's goons are wearing white, yeah, fuck.

Episode 2 was still really good. Orlando Jones as Mr. Nancy was so freaking awesome. I already know I'm going to love the fuck out of him. The same goes for Gillian Anderson's Media. Overall, I feel like the series is going to continue to work well. Alternations have occurred but I feel like all of them are working.