WiiU

Missy

In all honesty, here is what Nintendo needs more than anything.

1. Wait two years before announcing the new console. While they need to start working on the new console sooner than later, going to E3 next year and announcing a new console is going to be a bad move. The first step was saying you goofed. The second is working on something new but not rushing it with a fucking terrible launch.
  2. Look at the tech specs of the current generation. If you can improve on it, go for it. If you can't, there's nothing wrong with going for a similar console. That said, with the constant improvement of technology, it gives Nintendo the chance to put out either a cheaper console or a better console.
  3. Nintendo will always be linked with it's kid-friendly IPs. No getting around that. That said, Kids stopped being the primary sales demographic for video games in the late 90s. Keep Mario, Link, and etc but realize that if you're going to continue to put yourself in a position where the only third-party software is shovelware, then it falls on your shoulders to try and attract other demographics.
  4. Keep the WiiMote and tablet as optional peripherals but not as integral to the gaming experience. As much as the Classic Controller is cool, move forward. Go with a controller. It works.
  5. Part of the last three, try and play nice with Third-Party developers. It won't be overnight that you get them willing to develop for you again but still, a console cannot survive on First-Party content alone.
  6. When you do offer a new console, offer some kind of trade-in deal if you have a functional WiiU. That way the people who bought one aren't alienated while giving them incentive to trade-up. You had someone a coupon, even if it's only for 50 bucks off, it's going to help their brain rationalize the purchase.
  7. Gut the Nintendo Network. Let's face it, tying your user info to the console is fucking stupid. Having to go through a long and contrived number of steps to move games between consoles is fucking stupid. There are good elements there BUT you need to institute it all being tied by User, not console. I know that's one of the reasons I'm uneasy about buying a Nintendo console myself.

• 10 months later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, after playing around with our WiiU for a few days, I'm a convert. It's mainly the Touchpad. There are a lot of things you can do with it when you're playing a game. For example, when playing Smash this past weekend, I primarily used it to play and it's light enough that my hands didn't get tired holding it and I loved that I could just watch the screen instead of having to play it on the TV. In addition, when using it with Netflix or Hulu, all the play information is on the pad so everyone never needs to see the annoying information that occasionally pops up if someone looks at the controller wrong. I know that, graphically, it's not as powerful as the other two big consoles but I never cared. Smash looked gorgeous,

Overall, I love this thing. I do have to wait to see if I can find something that isn't 1st or 2nd party software that I could see buying but, for the moment, I think I made the right choice on which Current Gen console to go for.