WiiU

Missy

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nintendo Direct @ e3

Games, games, games. I can legitimately see me buying all of the 1st party games, and even some 3rd party stuff! I think it was definitely much needed for Nintendo to list the exclusive titles to show they are still a viable option to compete against the rest of the 'next-gen' bunch.

Pokemon X & Y - Yes. Also fairies!

Super Mario 3D World - A lot of fun. They didn't fully explain how co-op will work cause use of the 3DS would be perfect for this.

Mario Kart 8 - Why do Mario Karts always manage to look completely different? Just the little changes make such a massive difference

Wii U Party - Great looking party games. We've had people inviting themselves round to play this kind of a game and this'll be a great addition.

Art Academy - Pass.

Wind Waker HD - Stunning. Unexpectedly large nostalgia wave.

Wonderful 101 - Oh thank god, a game where the Wii U pad is a functional gameplay mechanic! Looks ace.

Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze - These games look grand but I'll probably skip them.

Bayonetta 2 - Never played the original so unconvinced atm. If they could release a version of the original for Wii U I'd definitely get it and would probably then get this

X - Don't get it yet...Monster Hunter mixed with FFXIII?

SSB 3DS/WiiU - Drooooooooooooooooool.

After this video and having already bought one...I really don't see the need to buy a PS4 or an Xbone. Not at the moment anyway until there's a BIG price drop and they've come out with a big load of exclusives.

I most likely will at one point, but at the moment Wii U is my next-gen console

It's really funny how the majority of the Wii U's games seem to be side-scrolling or otherwise retro (Wind Waker remake; Mario Kart) but they look absurdly fun, moreso than a lot of the other stuff on proper next-gen consoles. When the Wii U's price drops and there's a decent library for it, I think I'll pick one up.

I spent an hour last night watching trailers on the Nintendo channel. The combination of Super Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 and X was enough to convince me that I’ll probably be buying a Wii U at some point.

I’m also super excited to play Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. Which is great, since my 3DS isn’t getting a whole lot of use at the moment.

I spent an hour last night watching trailers on the Nintendo channel. The combination of Super Mario 3D World, Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2 and X was enough to convince me that I’ll probably be buying a Wii U at some point.

I’m also super excited to play Shin Megami Tensei 4 and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team. Which is great, since my 3DS isn’t getting a whole lot of use at the moment.

Have you tried Luigi's Mansion on the 3DS yet? That's a great game.

• 1 month later...

ASDA, Wal-Mart's UK arm, has announced they will no longer be stocking Wii U games, or consoles, in store, but will continue online.

Asda will no longer stock Wii U hardware and software in store, it has been revealed.

The retailer will continue to stock Wii U systems and games online, but not throughout its 555 UK outlets.

Asda confirmed the news in a number of statements to CVG, revealing that the company would continue to support Nintendo as a format partner on a title-by-title basis.

"Asda continues to offer customers a selection of Wii U games and accessories through Asda Direct, but these ranges are currently not on offer in Asda shops," reads the first statement.

"Asda will stock [Wii U] games on a title-by-title merit basis as they come along through Asda Direct. We will continue to support Nintendo as a format holder partner."

Nintendo responded by highlighting some of the upcoming releases for Wii U, as well as Pikmin 3 and New Super Luigi U, which today entered the Top 20 sales chart.

"Nintendo UK does not comment on specific business practices with individual retailers," reads Nintendo's statement.

"However, as we have seen with Nintendo 3DS, software sells hardware, and with titles such as Wonderful 101, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD and Super Mario 3D World already announced for this year - as well as the recently released Pikmin 3 and New Super Luigi U having reached number 2 and number 6 in this week's chart respectively - we are looking forward to the year ahead on Wii U."

Asda has also suspended 3DS hardware and software from sale in store, despite the handheld's popularity.

Unveiled during this year's E3 conference, Super Mario 3D World will be released this December.

• 5 months later...

Nintendo has confirmed what we knew already: its unhappy controller/console combo, the Wii U, is a flop. The company said hardware sales of the Wii U had failed to reach its target during the year-end, pushing it into a third consecutive annual loss, Reuters reports.

“We failed to reach our target for hardware sales during the year-end, when revenues are the highest,” said Nintendo’s president, Satoru Iwata, at a shareholder briefing on the sales figures.

With the Wii U failing to shift off shelves — and that despite a $50 price cut last September, to $299 — Nintendo has slashed its global sales forecast for the device for the year to March 31 by almost 70%. It said it’s expecting Wii U sales to number just 2.8 million units over that period. It also cut its sales forecast for its handheld 3DS console to 13.5 million units from 18 million.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/01/17/wii-u-not-selling/?utm_campaign=fb&ncid=fb

There's more to this that I think is going to get out in the next few months, but people are already rushing to say they'll be the next Sega.
They're not going to have the same downfall that Sega had. Sega was inept on a level that no other company will ever be able to achieve, and I say that as one of the most shameless Sega marks in the world.
It could go a lot of different ways. The 3DS has really been their leading platform for years now, so going the exclusive handheld route would be far from the worst thing.

My feeling is without good third party support, they will always be "less than". Mario and Zelda will always bring the Mario and Zelda fans, but without good mainstream third party games it's a lost cause. The Wii came out strong because of the gimmick, but was abandoned because of the kiddie shovelware. Nintendo needs to grow up, and quit being so damn Japanese with all the cutesy non talking characters and needless curtain openings every time you send something from the tablet controller to the tv. Just put games that are fun to play on the thing and let me take advantage of what the internet does for gaming, like talking to people. It's not just for selling the same retro games at bloated prices on every new console.

I'd be happy if they let the Wii U be a low-level "niche" product for the rest of this generation and focused on the 3DS instead, then came back into the home console market bigtime in the next generation.

So, you want them to do what they did with the Gamecube, all over again?

If you mean treat the Wii U like the GameCube (or as close to that as they can), then yes. But unless they seriously think they can pull another Wii-like phenomenon out of their hat (which they can't, apparently), then they're either going to have to abandon home consoles or make something that's legitimately competitive with the other consoles.

The N64 and GameCube were made under the old "we don't need to have X new kind of tech (CD, DVD, internet); what we have is good enough" mentality. That clearly didn't work too well. Then the Wii and Wii U were made under the apparent assumption that they couldn't (or at least weren't willing to) make a competitive console, when they hadn't even tried for three generations.

So basically I want them to go all out and make the SNES 2. Sure it's crazy to think it could work, but it worked for both Sony and Microsoft.

That's true. Optimally it would be the same situation the original Xbox was in: jumping into the market with a competitive console and not a ton of third-party support, but gaining serious traction nonetheless. Nintendo would probably be even better off since they at least have a ton of brand recognition and a consumer base to draw from.