30 day comic challenge

Stavros

I thought this would be fun, but on Facebook it would come under "who cares" for a lot of people we know, so I figured I'd keep it forum-bound. The idea (if you don't know) is that every day you add an entry for each category, which we all get to discuss and comment on as required, maybe throwing in pictures of covers or characters. I thought it would a great way to explore each others tastes in this area and maybe get some recommendations in. Try not to be repetitive, think of it as listing A favourite if you can't decide on one specifically. Here's the list (adapted slightly from the films one)-

Day 1 - Your Favourite Comic (Ongoing)

Day 2 - Your Least Favourite Comic (Ongoing)

Day 3 - Your Favourite Comic (Limited series)

Day 4 - Your Least Favourite Comic (Limited Series)

Day 5 - A Comic That Reminds You of Someone

Day 6 - A Comic That Reminds You of Somewhere

Day 7 - A Comic That Reminds You of Your Past

Day 8 - The Comic You Can Quote Best

Day 9 - A Comic With Your Favourite Character (Male)

Day 10 - A Comic With Your Favourite Character (Female)

Day 11 - A Comic By Your Favourite Writer

Day 12 - A Comic By Your Least Favourite Writer

Day 13 - A Comic By Your Favourite Artist

Day 14 - A Comic By Your Least Favourite Artist

Day 15 - Your Favourite Creative Team

Day 16 - A Comic You Used to Love, But Now Hate

Day 17 - Your Favourite Superhero Comic

Day 18 - Your Favourite Non-Superhero Comic

Day 19 - A Comic That Makes You Feel Down

Day 20 - A Comic That Makes You Feel Good

Day 21 - The Comic That Depicts Your Life

Day 22 - Your Favourite Trade/Hardback

Day 23 - A Comic That No One Expected You To Like

Day 24 - Your Favourite Comic Book TV Show (Live Action)

Day 25 - Your Favourite Comic Book TV Show (Animated)

Day 26 - Your Favourite Comic Book Film (Live Action)

Day 27 - Your Favourite Comic Book Film (Animated)

Day 28 - The Most Obscure Comic You Own

Day 29 - Your Favourite Comic As a Kid

Day 30 - Your Favourite Ongoing Comic This Time Last Year

If anyone has suggestions to improve the list let me know before tomorrow, that's when I plan to start this. Feel free to pick it up yourselves whenever. Hope it's fun!

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One big question. Something that is listed as ongoing, does that mean something that's still running or would we be able to choose something that has since been canceled? For that matter, in cases like, "A Comic By Your Favorite Writer" does it mean individual issues or run?

Ongoing can be a comic that's been cancelled if you like, no problem. It's just got to be comic that was designed to run, not one that was conceived as a 6 or 12 issue series. For favourite writer go with what you like, I'd say probably a run on a ongoing or a limited series or whatever is fine. If you want to include a pic of a specific issue feel free.

This really is open to interpretation quite a bit, go with whatever you like. I just want to find out people's tastes a bit more, find something new to read.

Day 1 - Your Favourite Comic (Ongoing)

Current

fables53.jpg

It's a book that, in my opinion, has only gotten better with age. Also, the early covers are fucking amazing.

All-Time:

376px-Sandman_Absolute%2C_Volume_1.jpg

I love the book more for Death and the supporting cast but Dream is a very fascinating character. Plus, I love the way that it really just works with the medium.

I don't mind it. It feels slow because it's month to month in one single book. We're used to stuff like Blackest Night playing out faster because there's a new part to the story every week on one book or another, Invincible doesn't do that. That being said, the Viltrumite war was only about one trades worth, and the Invincible war before that was deliberately confined to a single issue. For a monthly book with a lot of depth and event-scale occurrences I think it paces itself well.

It says volumes about Kirkman that my second choice on this would be Walking Dead.

Day 1- Your favourite comic (Ongoing) Big image.

1242089-gl54_super.jpg

This time two years ago, I would have put Batman, but has been poor since Morrison left. Same goes for last year, and Batman and Robin. Inc hasn't done enough for me yet. So, this is currently my favourite book to read every month it is out.

Of all time:

51fhpi-NQNL._SS500_.jpg

Easily Batman.

Current:

11_249499_0_GreenArrowVol41C.jpg

I stopped caring about Green Arrow a long time ago. The only thing keeping this book going is the Brightest Day banner and I predict it'll canceled within a year of it becoming it's own title.

All-Time:

Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_433.jpg

Chuck Austen's run on Uncanny X-Men and Adjectiveless X-Men is probably one of the stupidest things I have ever read. Outside of the massive character derailments and stupid plot twists, there are times the book becomes borderline offensive. The only bright side to the entire thing are Juggernaut and Northstar and even they get run into the ground by this shit. Just UGH!!!!!!!!!!! Also, The Draco. Possibly the worst and most convulted story in the history of the X-Men. Let that sink in for a second.

Current:

11_249499_0_GreenArrowVol41C.jpg

I stopped caring about Green Arrow a long time ago. The only thing keeping this book going is the Brightest Day banner and I predict it'll canceled within a year of it becoming it's own title.

That's mine too. I'm a huge Green Arrow fan and the lack of a decent book for the character is continuously irritating, especially with JT Krul writing the current run. I've got 10 GA trades on my shelf, and I'm not going to add this to them.

Day 2 - Your Least Favourite Comic (Ongoing) Current:

SecretSix23-193x300.jpg

It started off so well, and the mini series, and other book crossovers were so good. But this book, the ongoing, is a joke. It took a serious nose dive after the first storyline. Where the book now, is a piece of crap. The latest issue is just Simone chucking shit at the wall and seeing what sticks, while making sure everyone knows she thinks Catman is awesome.

Of all time:

14075008474.jpeg

Garbage from start to finish. I'm surprised this book has lasted 40 issues.

My list will be rather narrow in focus, but I'll do it anyway.

Day 1- Favorite Comic (Ongoing)

Honestly, nothing in particular. I read only trades and haven't read nearly as many comics as you guys.

Day 2- Least Favorite Comic (Ongoing)

Copy, paste. I've read both good and bad stuff from Batman, JLA, Teen Titans, and Ultimate X-Men, though.

(I will have a lot more to say about limited series, though, as I have more of those than I have stuff from mainstream DC or Marvel continuity)

Least Favorite Ongoing:

Deadpool_Corps_Vol_1_4.jpg

I'm a Deadpool fan, when he's in his little corner of the Universe, being written well. These last few years have been torment, with him everywhere, being written poorly. I like the tragic flawed character with a sense of humor, not the idiotic cartoon.

Day 2- Least Favorite Comic (Ongoing)

1178957-deadpool_corps_1b_super.jpg

And I know it just, just, just started, but this is pretty shit-tastic:

herc%2B1.jpg

Although Green Arrow is sincerely shit, I think Marvel takes the cake for crap right now.

Are we really doing all-time lists, too? I'm going to have to think about that one.

Day 1 - Favorite Ongoing (That Just Ended Damnit):

detail.jpg

Is Deadpool overexposed? Oh hell yes. But this series? This is (and now I have to use was cause the final issue just came out, damnit) the best of the ongoing tripefest of Deadpool books.

Favorite Ongoing That Is Actually Ongoing Now:

action-comics-death-alternate-cover.jpg

Four words: Fuck yeah Paul Cornell.

Favorite All-Time Ongoing:

Power-Girl-12-Cover.jpg

I admittedly haven't picked this up since Amanda Conner left, but what I've seen of Basiri's run on this over on Scans Daily makes me believe it's in good hands.

Day 2 - Least Favorite Current Ongoing:

Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_658.jpg

I'll admit, this book has had some good moments. But honestly? The kids at the Future Foundation put it kind of succinctly in the most recent book: Spidey's kind of a fucking dick lately.

Least Favorite All-Time Ongoing:

ultmrvl.jpg

The entire goddamn Ultimate Marvel Universe. I'm sorry to those of you who like it, but in the time I've known it, all it's seemed like is an excuse for Loeb to go and shit all over the Marvel Universe, but not have it affect the main universe. (Please note: I only have really known the Ultimate Universe in the last two years or so, aka when Loeb picked it up.)