30 day comic challenge

Stavros

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 11 - A Comic By Your Favorite Writer:

Before I begin, I have a ton of favorite authors. Choosing one is hard. I'm going to be wishy-washy and go with two.

Up and Coming:

morningglories-v1-tp-cov.jpg

Nick Spencer hasn't done much but what I've read has been made of awesome. In his Jimmy Olsen co-feature, he makes a Jimmy I give two fucks about. Plus, it's always a little funny and clever. In Morning Glories, he creates a sci-fi mystery at an exclusive boarding school with an all too believable cast. In Iron Man 2.0, he made me give a fuck about War Machine. He's already moving up to Secret Avengers. In ten years, he's going to be the one that makes us say, "When did Barry Allen get a personality and why am I liking him?"

All-Time

New_x-men_114.jpg

This book, and Grant Morrison in particular, is what got me back into comics. Personally, even with the Xorneto stuff that came out of it, still a great book to me. Morrison all-together is justa strange act to follow and not everything is perfect but he strikes gold more often than not. Still need to pick up all those trades of Seven Soldiers of Victory.

Hey, perfect segue.

Day 11 - A Comic By Your Favorite Writer

6812420061025163200larg.jpg

Big surprise I'm sure. Since Will mentioned it, Seven Soldiers of Victory is one of my favorite Morrison comics. What he does with 30 interconnected issues comprising a pair of bookends and 7 four issue mini-series is utterly fantastic. Not only is there the larger epic story, but each mini-series sets up its character to be used elsewhere if another writer wanted to take advantage of the opportunity. Complementing the writing are the nearly perfect art teams for each title.

This is a tough one for me. My instinct told me Bendis, but his work over the last few years has been really inconsistent (to say the least). And Brubaker and Fraction are up there for me, but if I had to choose...

Justice%20League%20-%20Generation%20Lost%2021.jpg

Judd Winick. I can't think of a Winick-written storyline that I haven't liked. And with his awesome work on Generation Lost and Power Girl, he's scripting my favorite books right now.

This is a tough one for me. My instinct told me Bendis, but his work over the last few years has been really inconsistent (to say the least). And Brubaker and Fraction are up there for me, but if I had to choose...

Justice%20League%20-%20Generation%20Lost%2021.jpg

Judd Winick. I can't think of a Winick-written storyline that I haven't liked. And with his awesome work on Generation Lost and Power Girl, he's scripting my favorite books right now.

Good thing Thomas Deja and D.W. aren't on this thread, otherwise the former would be giving you lip about Winick and Dubs would be giving Koete, SuaveStar, and dc20willsave lip about Morrison.

On a related note...

Day 12 - A Comic By Your Least Favorite Writer

Tony Daniel

Battle_for_the_Cowl.jpg

Why not Grant Morrison, you may ask? Because I by and large have liked what I've read of 52 so far (that being the first three volumes) and Lobo as written by Morrison is one reason why (for anyone who knows, please tell me what other parts of 52 he wrote). In addition, though I malign All-Star Superman for its plot structure and execution, the actual writing isn't terrible.

Dishonorable Mention:

Superman-batman_8_cvr_-_large.jpg

I don't hate him as much as Mike or a lot of the other people here, but reading more of work has made me recognize that his work has way too much exposition/introduction, glaring plotholes, and has way too many characters in it. He does occasionally have a good command of dialogue, though, and, with a few infamous exceptions, knows how to choose good artists.

I've gone back and forth on this. But at the end of the day, I've liked stuff that Loeb has written, and hated stuff, but there's one writer who's work I've read, I've fucking hated:

wanted%20gamestop%20cover_color.jpg

Mark Millar. Wanted is a gigantic load of shite, that I'm still surprised they made a fun movie out of. Kick Ass was just so fucking mean spirited, and Civil War was great in theory, but in execution, it made no sense to me, and just ended out of nowhere when I read it.

It seems like he could be a good writer, but he seems more comfortable writing the "Shocking and real" that it sort of takes the fun out of comics. Also, him calling the reader a fucking loser who's wasting their lives reading comics at the end of Wanted was just so mean spirited and so out of place from the crap that Wanted was, that I just felt like it was Millar's personal opinion.

So, even though he's from Scotland, I cannot fucking stand Mark Millar, and I think his work, and Wanted in particular is just garbage and very overrated.

I've gone back and forth on this. But at the end of the day, I've liked stuff that Loeb has written, and hated stuff, but there's one writer who's work I've read, I've fucking hated:

wanted%20gamestop%20cover_color.jpg

Mark Millar. Wanted is a gigantic load of shite, that I'm still surprised they made a fun movie out of. Kick Ass was just so fucking mean spirited, and Civil War was great in theory, but in execution, it made no sense to me, and just ended out of nowhere when I read it.

It seems like he could be a good writer, but he seems more comfortable writing the "Shocking and real" that it sort of takes the fun out of comics. Also, him calling the reader a fucking loser who's wasting their lives reading comics at the end of Wanted was just so mean spirited and so out of place from the crap that Wanted was, that I just felt like it was Millar's personal opinion.

So, even though he's from Scotland, I cannot fucking stand Mark Millar, and I think his work, and Wanted in particular is just garbage and very overrated.

You should read this.