30 day comic challenge

Stavros

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A comic by my least favorite writer:

2-1.jpg

Barring three things (Sin City, Batman: Year One and Daredevil), I hate basically everything Frank Miller does. Yes. That includes The Dark Knight Returns. Dude is a great artist, but I kind of hate how he treats characters.

Day 12 - A Comic By Your Least Favorite Writer

1286893896-29162-0.jpg

I fucking hate Chuck Austen. How do we count the ways? First off, there's his complete misunderstanding of Catholicism in a story arc that Linkara gets my views on pretty well. Then there's the point in his run on Uncanny where he decided, "Hey, Nightcrawler looks like a demon, what if he was descended by the Devil who's an ancient mutant. OH! And Archangel looks like an Angel, what if he was descended from Mutant Angels!" And this man's hacknitude doesn't end at just X-Men. When he was on Action Comics, he decided, "Hey, Lana Lang has become a well-developed character. Let's have her divorce her husband so she can go after Clark Kent again!" Then there's the man's extreme paranoia and stupidity in thing, "Oh, yeah, everyone loves my work but there are these seven or so internet trolls who are so out to get me that they're everywhere on the net." Really, wether it was his run on Exiles (featuring the most unlikable version of Illiyana Rasputin you've ever met) or Metropolis (In which Jimmy Olsen flirts with Lex Luthor's baby daughter when she gets rapid aged by Brainiac.) Fuck Chuck Austen.

Day 11 - A comic by your favorite writer

Batman%20_686%20Neil%20Gaiman%20Andy%20Kubert.jpg

The person who would've been my favorite writer has recently lost the shine off of her, as has another would have been favorite, thanks to the Twitter (both a blessing and a curse, that is.) Also is kind of my overall favorite writer, but oh well. :P

Day 12 - A comic by your least favorite writer

Hulk-17-cover-740353.jpg

Yeah. Less said about that whole thing, the better.

Day 11 - A comic by your favorite writer

The person who would've been my favorite writer has recently lost the shine off of her, as has another would have been favorite, thanks to the Twitter (both a blessing and a curse, that is.) Also is kind of my overall favorite writer, but oh well. :P

I know who one of those writers is, but who's the other one?

Much like Simone, a lot of the stuff he's been saying on Twitter as of late has been making me give him the side eye.

See, maybe this is just me but I try to separate what the person says from what the person does. If I did, then I wouldn't watch anything with Clint Eastwood, Kevin Smith, Tom Cruise, and any number of film. I'm just saying, let the quality of the work judge if you read it as opposed to the size of the foot in the creator's mouth.

I read everything in trades so this is a bit harder for me. I've got some catching up to do.

Day 1 - Your Favourite Comic (Ongoing, Current)

I was going to say Daredevil but I haven't read anything from Diggle's run yet.

So it'll have to be...

xfactor40.jpg

X-factor by Peter David is a book I consistently enjoy, except for the awful Secret Invasion arc. I haven't read the last two trades, so I don't know how it is right now, but unless it completely jumped the shark, I'll probably still enjoy it.

Favorite Comic (All-time)

This is a little easier...

y_the_last_man.jpg

Just love this book. Absolutely love it.

Day 2 - Your Least Favourite Comic (Ongoing, Current)

I usually don't read stuff I don't like. So this is a weird one for me.

Probably...

76470962.jpg

Amazing had a good run of some fun stories, some middling, with the Gauntlet and Grim Hunt, but outside of that, it hasn't really done much for me for a long while. I didn't care for JMS run all that much, outside of the coming out to Aunt May arc and the Civil War arc, and ever since they retconned Pete's marriage, nothing really clicked for me. I checked out the Gauntlet and liked it. But everything with new villains like Jackpot, and Anti-Venom, none of it works for me. Mainly it's a shame because I can't get into Spider-man anymore, like at all. And he used to be my favorite character, the one I couldn't wait to read more of. I don't know if it's me or not. But Spidey doesn't interest me anymore.

Oh and the Hulk...I never liked the Hulk but I would read the good stuff (Planet Hulk was fun, read some of Peter David's work). Damn, Loeb did a number on that one.

hulk600.jpg?w=674&h=1024

Day 3 - Your Favourite Comic (Limited series)

Oh God this is fucking hard.

Someone already said Batman: Year One, Watchmen, and Nextwave...so I'll go with something different...

How about:

250px-ULTHUM001.jpg

Ultimate Human...One of the best things to come out of the Ultimate Universe, arguably, the best thing to come out of that universe.

daredevil_redemption_tpb_20_wince_.jpg

OH and there is a not very well known mini called Daredevil Redmption by David Hine that really took me by surprise and was quite excellent, you could probably find it for cheap, and it is absolutely one of the best blind buys I've ever made.

Oh and I have to mention this one:

pg00Madrox-no2-copy.jpg

Madrox is one of my favorite characters, a lot of it has to do with this mini.

Day 4 - Your Least Favourite Comic (Limited Series)

Going to have agree, Ultimates 3 and Ultimatum...fuck that shit.

And for something different...

SecretInvasion_TPB.jpg

Seriously, too long, and an absolutely let-down after all the hype, pomp, and circumstance around it. I still enjoy/ed the New Avengers book, and even the tie-in issues related to this mini, the mini itself was awful, badly paced, too long, and just not a very good story.

Day 5 - A Comic That Reminds You of Someone

HULK%20WWH.jpg?1276057470

My best friend love Hulk, absolutely loves Hulk. I don't really like Hulk, but Planet Hulk and especially World War Hulk got us talking about comics again, that we both enjoyed.

Day 6 - A Comic That Reminds You of Somewhere

Day 7 - A Comic That Reminds You of Your Past

250-1.jpg

Both of these are the same for me...J.M. DeMatteis run on Spectacular Spider-man in the 90's was one of my first introductions to comic books (in comic book form, we'd already had X-men and Spidey cartoons on TV). My dad got me a 12-month subscription and that was the run I got. I loved those comics, it was actually a really good run, more Kraven stuff, return of Norman Osborn, among other things. So it reminds me of my youth and my dad's old house before he my first younger sister (half-sister).

Also X-men #1,

X-Men_1.jpg

It reminds me of my elementary school, with my good friends all talking about the animated series, and planning a movie 5-7 years before it was ever released, some ideas from those casting talks: Collossus = Arnold, Gambit = Jean Claude Van Damme, and Professor X = "That bald guy from Star Trek" (none of us could remember his name, and a couple of our Trek friends would remind us, Patrick Stewart).

Day 8 - The Comic You Can Quote Best

I can't really quote any comics, but I do remember some lines from this one:

Batman-The-Killing-Joke-Voiced-by-Patrick-Girts-Animated-Legos-by-Forrest-Whaley.jpg

One of my favorite trades ever.

Day 9 - A Comic With Your Favourite Character (Male)

Easy...

daredevil%20underboss.jpg

Day 10 - A Comic With Your Favourite Character (Female)

Again, pretty easy...I don't have a lot of favorite female characters:

2846-1.jpg

Day 11 - A Comic By Your Favourite Writer

It's so hard to pick a favorite writer...A lot of writers do things that I love and that I hate.

But ever since Bendis stopped doing gritty, dark works and focused more on big Avengers stories. I'd probably have to go with this guy:

the-sleeper-brubaker.jpg

I mean Sleeper, Criminal, Incognito, and also getting me to love Cap and Iron Fist...this man is awesome.

Day 12 - A Comic By Your Least Favourite Writer

Okay Loeb has written a lot of terrible shit recently but he also wrote decent Batman stories and the Color series in Marvel (Hulk: Gray, Spider-man: Blue, Daredevil: Yellow). We've already covered how crappy Hulk and Ultimates are because of him. He's probably my least favorite writer going now, I don't like any of his stuff outside of Daredevil: Yellow and maybe Hush. But I don't want to retread him over again, he's been lambasted plenty.

The more and more I read from this man...even stuff that I used to like...the more and more I don't like his stuff...

Millar_%26_McNiven%27s_Nemesis_Vol_1_3.jpg

Mark Millar is a fucking great hype machine... but almost of all of his works come out disappointing me. Nemesis, Kick-Ass, and Wanted, all stuff I tried to read but couldn't. Marvel 1985, Marvel Knights Spider-Man, Wolverine Enemy of the State/Agent of Shield, Ultimates 1 & 2, I read them all and even liked them at some point, but I'm not sure if I like any of them the second time (or third time) I read them. They all come across as just loud and stylish with no substance. I don't hate the man, he's got me to buy his stuff many times over, but every time I come back to it, I'm like why did I like this again?

Oh and another man:

grant.jpg

Okay, so let me get this straight, I don't hate Morrison either. I actually like his major Super-hero works (that I've read: New X-men, All Star Super-man, Batman and Son), but it's all his other stuff, that's the stuff I don't like. I thought Animal Man was okay, Invisibles I couldn't understand, and Seven Soldiers was a mess in my eyes. I don't like this stuff. I don't like this stuff. It just didn't work for me.

Day 13 - A Comic By Your Favorite Artist

Modern:

detail.jpg

I'll be frank: I don't read comics for the art. EVER. So, when I notice the art, it's either really good or really bad. In the case of Darwyn Cooke, it's REALLY good. I will buy something just because of Cooke. You can't say that about most artists.

All-Time:

marvel-masterworks-the-mighty-thor-volume-7-jack-kirby2.jpg

In a perfect world, Jack KIrby would still be with us, making cameos, trolling Twitter, and we would find ourselves saying, "That's so Kirby. Whatever happened to Stan Lee?" Sadly, we don't live in a perfect world and that makes me sad.

Day 13 - A Comic By Your Favorite Artist

bm_heart_of_hush_cvr.jpg

Dustin Nguyen, hands down. The man's work is absolutely amazing.

Two runners-up:

batwoman-comic-0.jpg

J.H. Williams III. Can't wait to see him on the eventual ongoing, whenever it does end up being released.

skottie-young-x-babies.jpg

Skottie Young. Can't say enough about this man.

And for all-time?

cover_lg.jpg

You guessed it. :P