30 day comic challenge

Stavros

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Day 13 - A Comic By Your Favourite Artist

I feel like I'm following the crowd here, but fuck it. I love Darwyn Cooke's work.

newfrontier.jpg

Honorable mentions:

Francis Manapul

Superman_Batman_Vol_1_60.jpg

Amanda Conner

PGLCv2acopy.jpg

And it would be pretty repetitive to post more, but of course Skottie Young rules.

Vaguely off subject, would everyone mind checking your images before you post them in this thread, namely the size. No offense, I, and most people who have slow loading computers, don't much care for having to scan through gigantic pictures of stuff. Just... use some common sense when choosing pictures. If it's the size of your desktop, then it's too big. If you're in a hurry to post as soon as possible, congrats, you are a douche anyway and it won't kill you to find that image of Vampira that you hate in a 600x400 as opposed to 1280x1024. Can't find it in a smaller size? Try downloading it and reducing it in paint then upload it to your ImageShack account. Technically you're also not stealing other people's bandwidth then as well. Thanks.

*gets off soap box*

There. I said it. Get over it and raise your standards.

Which standards are you speaking of? If it's our standards of comic book art, I'll continue to recognize one of the greatest storytellers in modern comics if that's okay with you.

Go ahead. If you don't mind all the needless lines on faces, over-sized lips, over-rendered foregrounds, and under-rendered backgrounds, there's little I can do to make you do so.

Clearly the work of a blind child as opposed to that of one of the best professional artists going today.

Actually, my theory is that he either does a lot of his drawings during earthquakes or that he has a terrible case of arthritis. As for all the unnecessary lines, that might be his inker being too slavish rather than Quitely's fault. While the panels above make better use of space and the faces aren't as hideous as in All-Star Superman, I'm still not impressed by the way he draws things like hands and lips.

Actually, my theory is that he either does a lot of his drawings during earthquakes or that he has a terrible case of arthritis. As for all the unnecessary lines, that might be his inker being too slavish rather than Quitely's fault. While the panels above make better use of space and the faces aren't as hideous as in All-Star Superman, I'm still not impressed by the way he draws things like hands and lips.

Just wondering, have you read his issues of Batman and Robin? He inks himself in that, so it'd be interesting to hear what you think about that.

Just wondering, have you read his issues of Batman and Robin? He inks himself in that, so it'd be interesting to hear what you think about that.

No, I haven't. I have yet to lift my rule against buying stuff by Grant Morrison (incidentally, I was thinking of lifting it and getting "The Return of Bruce Wayne" but your post about it earlier on this thread convinced me otherwise).

No, I haven't. I have yet to lift my rule against buying stuff by Grant Morrison (incidentally, I was thinking of lifting it and getting "The Return of Bruce Wayne" but your post about it earlier on this thread convinced me otherwise).

If you can, get the Quitely issues of B&R, which are issues 1-3. They are a lot of fun, and it's just a good old fashioned Batman and Robin story, that doesn't need you to read any of Morrison's other stuff in the past, and it stands on it's own very well.

Day 15 - Your Favourite Creative Team

The_Legend_of_Batman.jpg

Grant Morrison and Andy Kubert. My favourite single issue of any comic is still Batman #666. Followed closely by the Damian story in Batman #700.

I would get both the trade and issues of the series if they teamed up to do a Damian Batman mini series.

Day 14 - Least Favorite Artist

Frankly, I don't have one. I read comics for the stories, not for the art. If the art is shitty, I tend not to know the artist's name. I think I can count off the number of artist's who's names I know on both hands, much less state so-and-so did that. So hence, don't have a least favorite artist.

3185250a-84c2-46a9-b9d3-bc55fc86ee05.jpg

I love Justice League International which is helped by the awesome art on the book. Knowing it was the same team for quite a bit helps.

Day 14 - Least Favorite Artist

Frank Quitely

tumblr_lip9x0wmNG1qa1kbmo1_400.jpg

There are some truly shitty artists in comics, but of the guys working regularly, I dislike Quitely the most. I believe he's a very good artist, but he can't draw people for shit. Have you ever met a person who looks like one of Quitely's characters? Ever? I don't know anyone whose face looks even remotely like his drawings.

God, Wonder Woman looks like a teenaged boy with a facial deformity in this one!

Johns/Manapul

16613_400x600-b.jpg

And I haven't been doing this, but all-time:

Bendis/Oeming

powers7.jpg

I don't know anyone whose face looks even remotely like his drawings.

Quitely's style doesn't appeal to everyone's tastes, so I'm not arguing your opinion, but Matt Smith.

I don't know who that is.

EDIT: WOAH! That's an ugly mother right there.