Simpsons or South Park?

Gareth

Simpsons or South Park?  

15 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

This is The Simpsons through season 9 of course.

This is tough for me, I've loved the Simpsons ever sense I was like 5 years old, I've grown up with it and it has always been one of my favorite shows. Now South Park is more of a recent phenomenon for me but every episode I’ve seen, I’ve just laughed my ass off at its over the top irreverence and sarcasm.

But when it comes down to it I have to vote for the Simpsons, I’ve grown up with it and I just love the characters and great writing and animation of those first 9 seasons that it has to have my vote.

It's not always about funny. Personally I think that South Park wins because it's been better for a lot longer, but the Simpsons had some superb key seasons between 3 and 8.

It's just that South Park is more varied and intelligent overall, that's why it gets the nod.

I think these two shows were head and shoulders better than any other adult-oriented animated television series because they are not only very funny but they also addressed the current political issues and showed their opinions on those issues. Sure the underlying messages are usually smothered in sarcasm, but I believe the themes are still there. That’s my view anyway.

I think adding the qualifier that it's all of South park vs The Simpsons through season 9 speaks volumes. You don't need to make that sort of judgement about South Park. It's great as a whole. Not every episode hits it out of the park but you don't need to chop whole seasons out. Even season 3 which had non Matt & Trey writers involved isn't bad.

I think adding the qualifier that it's all of South park vs The Simpsons through season 9 speaks volumes. You don't need to make that sort of judgement about South Park. It's great as a whole. Not every episode hits it out of the park but you don't need to chop whole seasons out. Even season 3 which had non Matt & Trey writers involved isn't bad.

It isn't bad, but it's hard to watch in comparison to current episodes. It's very noticeable to see how far they've come along since the early episodes, both in production values, and the writing.

It isn't bad, but it's hard to watch in comparison to current episodes. It's very noticeable to see how far they've come along since the early episodes, both in production values, and the writing.

But it's all part of a developement process, you couldn't have the later stuff without that groundwork being laid.

Honestly, I thought this would be a more difficult call, but it really isn't. The Simpsons definitely had their moments, but by far most of those were in the past. The movie was actually pretty good, and contained a lot of the charm that it had in earlier seasons. I think the problem is everything that it has done is now done by someone else, and usually better. It has done musical numbers since time immemorial, but those are always off showtunes, and get lamer every time. Phineas and Ferb, which is aimed largely at children, has much better musical numbers than the Simpsons ever did. Family Guy is by far better at random humor, and South Park has far better topical epsiodes than them as well.

While the Simpsons definitely deserves its own laurel wreath for what it began, particularly with animated humor, it's not what it once was.

Nulled cause I'm kinda tired of both at this point.

Simpsons has overstayed its welcome by at least ten years and I can't sit through an episode of South Park now without feeling like I'm being preached at.

I voted Simpsons but outside of being animated comedies, the Simpsons are nothing alike. That's like asking, "Which is better: Ghostbusters or The Princess Bride?" Honestly, you can't compare them because sure, both are live-action comedy-fantasies but just from the kind of humor and such, they're totally different films. Same with The Simpsons and South Park. The Simpsons has always, at heart, been a domestic comedy. South Park, even when it's being preachy and has a good message, is still gross-out and black humor.

So yeah, I voted Simpsons because, honestly, the first nine seasons has about the same amount of episodes as what South Park is currently at and those first nine seasons have aged better than jokes about that one psychic guy being a douchebag. But still, they're both awesome shows and very different.