Episode 194

RSS

In this massive episode, Desmond does an info dump on you guys before getting to the content. Important to note is that episode 200 is coming rapidly. Listen for your chance to be involved! Then Desmond and Darryll talk about Brian De Palma's Blow Out. Then Desmond goes solo on Vanishing on Seventh Street before digging into some feedback. Tunes included: "The Assassin" by Iron Maiden, "Blowout in the Radio Room" by Fight, "Walking in the Dark" by Goldfinger, and "Brain Damage" by The Browns. Check out Desmond guest-hosting episode 229 of The Splattercast at www.deadlantern.com and check out www.tshirtbordello.com for some great threads! [ 1:30:20 || 43.6 MB ]

The above is from: http://www.earth-2.net/podcasts/dreadmedia/episodes/dreadmedia_194.mp3

Films by Brian De Palma I can't believe I forgot to mention during the review: PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE - I haven't seen it. :blush: We need to cover it. THE FURY - His other psychic teenager picture. Released right after CARRIE. I have this on VHS. It's cheesy fun. BODY DOUBLE - So bad it's good. Probably the cheesiest film in his catalogue. My wife and I laughed our asses off at this one.

Few directors could ever hope to exhibit such a wildly diverse catalog of films as De Palma. His range and his ability to experiment with different stories is perhaps unmatched in Hollywood. He had a number of flops (WISE GUYS, BONFIRE OF THE VANITIES, MISSION TO MARS) but they are always interesting failures.

Having said all that I have to admit that MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE is perhaps my favorite De Palma film. I love the hell out of that stylish spy thriller. It has all the ingredients for the kind of smart action adventure I totally dig. The silent infiltration of CIA headquarters actually surpasses it's influences (RIFIFFI, TOPKAPI) in sheer nail biting suspense. A number of complaints are leveled at it's lack of realism but if you can buy into the hyper comic book aesthetic and appreciate the brilliant crosses and double crossses and the absolutely kinetic action sequences then you will be in for a fun ride. One of my favorite films of the 90s. Just make sure you close your eyes during the opening credits. Oddly, it's full of spoilers for the film.

PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE - I haven't seen it. :blush: We need to cover it. THE FURY - His other psychic teenager picture. Released right after CARRIE. I have this on VHS. It's cheesy fun.

I haven't seen Phantom either. And I want to lots.

Fury I'd love to rewatch as well.

Edit: I think the next film we cover should be straight-ahead horror though.