Vita news

JackFetch

It will be called the Playstation Vita.

Sony announced its second hand held gaming platform in Japan on January 27, 2011, at an event called PlayStation Meeting 2011. The device was announced under its codename, "Next Generation Portable." Sony expects to release the device during the holiday season of 2011.

Features

5-inch Multi-touch OLED display

Multi-touch pad on the rear of the device

Dual analog sticks

Two cameras (front and rear)

Software titles on small, dedicated flash memory-based cards instead of UMDs

Built in GPS

Three motion sensors, gyroscope, accelerometer and electronic compass

Wi-Fi, Bluetooth and 3G network connectivity

PlayStation Network access, with the ability to play PSP titles, minis, PS One classics, videos and comics from the PlayStation Store.

Trophy support

The use of cartridges much like the Nintendo DS as a replacement to UMDs.

The NGP will support a socal network SCEI has built around PSN called "LiveArea" where players will be able to connect and share the fun with other players. An 'Activity' log will be constantly updated with new accomplishments of the player's friends.

Source

I'll say this for the Wii. When it first popped up, everyone was fighting to get their hands on it.

Thank you. Liquor in the front, poker in the rear. Try the veal.

Apparently Vita also means vagina in some places. That's what the joke is in the comic up there.

Actually that particular comic is about the Revolution being named the Wii, hence the 2006 date stamp. But I don't doubt the translation.

Apparently Vita also means vagina in some places. That's what the joke is in the comic up there.

Actually that particular comic is about the Revolution being named the Wii, hence the 2006 date stamp. But I don't doubt the translation.

Oh, that's what people are saying on Neogaf.

• 3 months later...

The Vita is going to be released December 17th in Japan. No date for the US yet. They are completely missing the Holiday season in the US, which is a big mistake if you ask me.

Square-Enix will have two launch titles:

The first game Square-Enix went over is called Lord of Apocalypse, described as an action-RPG. The second game is called Army Corps of Hell, which wasn't described in much detail.

They are going to miss the hype of the holiday season which is crucial for a game system even when it's sold out. Also, most people aren't spending money right after Christmas because they just spent a lot buying gifts. I think it's a big mistake to release in the early part of the year.

Edit: Looking back. This is the exact same thing they did when they launched the PSP. It launched in Japan December 12, and in the US March 24. It didn't turn out that well for the US launch. It took a long time for the PSP to take off.

The PSP also had a billion hardware problems

Such as?

I'm on my third one now. It's a piece of crap. First one had a bad wifi switch. The second the disc drive broke. I have a hard time trusting Sony these days, especially with a PS3 with a dead disc drive sitting on my shelf. They are no better than Microsoft if you ask me.