DC reboot

dc20willsave

DC has a map of the Flashpoint Earth.

Also, apparently DC is, in addition to wrapping up tons of stories for by time Flashpoint #5 ships, pretty much putting a lot of people under non-disclosure agreements about anything post August. So yeah, this is either going to be the biggest stunt DC has pulled in recent history or it's going to blow up royally in their face.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There are some rumors going around that there will be line-wide renumbering soon, but it isn't a new concept. That's what Marv Wolfman (?) wanted to do post Crisis on Infinite Earths.

Unless DC does something major with it, I really don't see people caring all that much.

Yeah, renumbering books like that with so much history is a little pointless, especially since they'll just turn the numbers back the second that an anniversary is coming up. They're only doing it because they know that they're a couple of years away from Action, Detective or Batman reaching another big number.

Same deal with Marvel, the first chance they had they went back to the old numbering with Thor and Daredevil. I can't imagine why they haven't done it with Avengers yet. Although I guess it would be confusing trying to figure out which Avengers book is the true heir. Does the New run count? Or do they go with Mighty?

It’s Flashpoint Friday again, and today’s pre-weekend missive is another interesting mystery. As we’ve been telling you, DC Comics is setting themselves up for a major… something this fall by releasing only one comic in the last week of August and then, somehow, relaunching everything in September. Fanning the flames, Geoff Johns and Jim Lee are scheduled to make a major announcement early next month. Now comes word that Flashpoint will end Johns’ involvement with Flash titles for the foreseeable future — which of course begs the question: then what?

Like the saying goes, everything you know will change in a flash.

It goes without saying that Geoff Johns is a talent to be reckoned with. For the past several years, Johns has been writing numerous FLASH titles – including the recently released THE FLASH OMNIBUS Vol. 1.

As he did with Hal Jordan and GREEN LANTERN, Johns has completely reinvigorated the character of Barry Allen and THE FLASH. Working with such incredible artists including Scott Kolins, Ethan Van Sciver, Angel Unzueta, Andy Kubert and rising stars like Francis Manipul, Johns has solidified The Flash’s place in the DC Universe. In fact, he’s placed Barry Allen front and center of this summer’s bestselling event, FLASHPOINT.

But like issue #12 was the final issue of THE FLASH by Johns, the final issue of FLASHPOINT will conclude Johns’ run on FLASH titles for the foreseeable future.

What happens post FLASHPOINT you ask?

As Johns says, “the first rule about FLASHPOINT is, don’t talk about what comes after Flashpoint.”

So for now, we thank Geoff Johns for his run on THE FLASH and look forward to what he’s got planned next.

Stay tuned.

Source

Renumbering Action and Detective is pretty much sacrilige as far as I'm concerned.

If DC reboots their universe, I will use that breaking point as my way out of monthy books altogether. Other than Savage Dragon and Walking Dead, I will not be reading monthly comics. I have already quit on Marvel. The first time in 27-ish years that I won't be reading monthly comics.

I think the question I asked the X-men panel about Age of X applies equally here. What's different about this alternate-reality world warping event from the others? Frankly the wide-line changes are coming too often in DC, One Year Later and Final Crisis should have been more than enough big change to last a while and yet they're trying to make out that this is something comparable? They're breaking their backs to convince me it's important but I'm not sold. No amount of renumbering is going to change that.

Flashpoint doesn't have nearly the appeal to me that Fear Itself does.

The renumbering may be a bit too much. I mean, it's one thing to renumber Spider-man or Uncanny X-Men. Action and Detective on the other hand are books that have ran uninterupted since 1939. Hell, the company is named for the latter. I don't see the renumbering lasting long in cases like that and, as books start hitting milestones, them going back. I could honestly see this being like all the #0's during Zero Hour and then going back to the original numbering in October.

I'm all for this, personally.

Much as I'd like to see Action and Detective reach #1000 in the next ten years, I'd rather see new, fresh stories over the next ten years, rather than just trudging forward along the exact same lines as before.

We all do, but you don't need a new #1 on the cover to do that.

I'm all for this, personally.

Much as I'd like to see Action and Detective reach #1000 in the next ten years, I'd rather see new, fresh stories over the next ten years, rather than just trudging forward along the exact same lines as before.

Have you not been reading Paul Cornell's run on Action and Scott Snyder's on Detective? If not, those have been fresh interesting stories, that are different from what has been seen before.

Also, I'm indifferent to the #1's thing. If they keep the same creative teams and same continuing stories, than it is just going to be like it was before Flashpoint, just with a new number for the books.

I'd much rather have interesting stories that I can read and enjoy than see the entire line rebooted just because the books aren't selling as well as they used to.

JLA need to be rebooted. Obviously, there's no denying that. But to reboot an entire line? If that is what they are doing, then they are undoing all of the great work that has been done over the past several years to give their books direction and strength. The GL books are consistently some of the best comics being published right now. So then we're just going to change up creative teams on every book just on a whim? Based on Flashpoint? I would like to see the numbers on Flashpoint. I'd be willing to put money on the fact that it is well below Final Crisis and Blackest Night.

So now, we get what? he chance to wait 10 years for Jim Lee to finish the first arc of a rebooted JLA? When Ivan Reis could do it monthly? Sorry Jim, I've always appreciated you as a business man and an artist, but you aren't worth the wait.

I'll be watching this news closely, because my comic-buying habits are very close to drastically changing.

So now, we get what? he chance to wait 10 years for Jim Lee to finish the first arc of a rebooted JLA? When Ivan Reis could do it monthly? Sorry Jim, I've always appreciated you as a business man and an artist, but you aren't worth the wait.

He's doing an Aquaman series with Geoff Johns. However, there's no indication that will still happen, what with this change.

DC clarifies what's happening with a letter to comics retailers:

A LETTER ON THE DC UNIVERSE AND SEPTEMBER 2011

To our comics retail partners,

In the time I've worked at DC Comics, I've witnessed any number of industry defining moments. But today, I bring you what is perhaps the biggest news to date.

Many of you have heard rumors that DC Comics has been working on a big publishing initiative for later this year. This is indeed an historic time for us as, come this September, we are relaunching the entire DC Universe line of comic books with all new first issues. 52 of them to be exact.

In addition, the new #1s will introduce readers to a more modern, diverse DC Universe, with some character variations in appearance, origin and age. All stories will be grounded in each character's legend - but will relate to real world situations, interactions, tragedy and triumph.

This epic event will kick off on Wednesday, August 31st with the debut of a brand new JUSTICE LEAGUE #1, which pairs Geoff Johns and Jim Lee, together for the first time. (Yes, this is the same week as FLASHPOINT #5.)

We think our current fans will be excited by this evolution, and that it will make jumping into the story extremely accessible to first-time readers - giving them a chance to discover DC's characters and stories.

We are positioning ourselves to tell the most innovative stories with our characters to allow fans to see them from a new angle. We have taken great care in maintaining continuity where most important, but fans will see a new approach to our storytelling.

Some of the characters will have new origins, while others will undergo minor changes. Our characters are always being updated; however, this is the first time all of our characters will be presented in a new way all at once.

Dan DiDio, Bob Harras and Eddie Berganza have been working diligently to pull together some of the best creative teams in the industry. Over 50 new costumes will debut in September, many updated and designed by artist Jim Lee, ensuring that the updated images appeal to the current generation of readers.

The publication of JUSTICE LEAGUE #1 will also launch digital day-and-date for all ongoing superhero comic book titles - an industry first.

On Wednesday, June 1st, this initiative is expected to be announced in a nationwide feature article, and we're hopeful the news will be picked up by media outlets around the world. Throughout the month we'll reveal more details of our plans with articles in both the mainstream and comics press and on June 13th the Diamond catalog solicitations for all of the September titles will be released, followed by the June 29th street date of the print version of Previews.

DC Comics will support this initiative with an innovative mix of publicity, promotional efforts and retailer incentives designed to maximize your opportunity to increase your DC sales. We will discuss additional details of these incentives when we get closer to solicitation later in June.

We'll be updating you more through email as September nears. But today, I hope your share our enthusiasm for this historic news!

Sincerely,

Bob Wayne

SVP, Sales

DC Entertainment

Right. Because Aquaman needs to be rebooted? After what they just fucking did? I care about him for the first time ever. Mera is one of my favourite character sin the DCU. Fucking Mera!

God it's so stupid. This bullshit quest to be hip and edgy and fresh and new. It's all just buzzwords to entice the mildly retarded.