DC reboot

dc20willsave

Hoo, boy. You know, speaking as someone who has entirely left DC and has barely read a single issue of anything since the New 52 started, I'm almost tempted to try this rebirth/reboot/relaunch/whatever and see if it actually holds any water for a lapsed reader. Maybe there's a segment in that.

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hoo, boy. You know, speaking as someone who has entirely left DC and has barely read a single issue of anything since the New 52 started, I'm almost tempted to try this rebirth/reboot/relaunch/whatever and see if it actually holds any water for a lapsed reader. Maybe there's a segment in that.

There is indeed.

On a larger scale, the likely fallout of Rebirth is that DC will re-establish the pre-New 52 timeline.

Whatever, might as well do that. The Didio/Johns/Lee reign at DC has been jerking off the Pre-Crisis Superfriends aesthetic of the DC Universe since the beginning of the new millennium, might as well have the entire universe warped into something only they and readers their age group recognize.Ā 

• 3 weeks later...

DC's new variant cover gimmick for May 2016 will feature swipes from some of their #1 covers from the new 52.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/article/dcs-may-2016-variants-celebrate-52-issues-new-52

And every last one of them categorically looks like dog shit. I mean I'm sorry, but those pale in comparison to the originals in a very embarrassing way. Even bad covers like Catwoman #1 had a great artistĀ  to do it. Others like Babs Tarr, despite her talent, is out of depth when being compared to Adam Hughes.

The high and low of it all:

• Geoff Johns is off of Justice League
  • He is rewriting an 80 page one-shot that's pretty much setting this all off.
  • Everything is getting renumbered with a new #1 except...
  • Action Comics and Detective Comics are returning to their original numbering
  • Most importantly, all titles are going to be $2.99
  • Some titles will be going to Bi-Monthly
  • The emphasis is going to be on "legacy" with popular consensus being that the original Titans and JSA are getting retconned back into continuity

• 1 month later...

The full list of DC Rebirth titles and creative teams.

What I'm sure to be getting:

• All-Star Batman by Snyder, Romita Jr, Jock, Murphy, et al
  • Batgirl by Larson and Albuquerque
  • Blue Beetle by Giffen and Kolins
  • The Flash by Williamson, Di Giandomenico and Googe
  • Harley Quinn by Conner, Palmiotti, Hardin and Timms
  • Trinity by Manapul and Mann

My "wait and see" list:

• Action Comics by Jurgens, Zircher, Kirkham and Segovia
  • Batman Beyond by Jurgens and Chiang
  • Hellblazer by Oliver and Moritat
  • Supergirl by Orlando and Ching
  • Wonder Woman by Rucka, Sharp and Scott

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So, wait. You're expected to buy two years' worth of essentially the entire company's output to get this story?

What?

I mean... what?

Well, DiDio said that it will weave in and out of current titles, so that just means it will only affect the titles that editorial decides it needs to when it hands scripts back to writers three weeks after they hand them in demanding a main character punch reality.

See, going in, I read it as being more like Grant Morrison's Seven Soldiers or the minis that lead up to Infinite Crisis in that each book would have it's own story that builds into the long-term. Reading more than one might give you a better idea of the total picture but you can get by just reading Klarion or Villain United without touching Zatana or The Rann-Thanagar War.