DC reboot

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the look of Superman on the Action Comics cover, as it looks like it's intentionally evoking what Superman was meant to symbolize during the Golden Age. The changes to the costume on the Superman cover look ridiculous though.

Did you notice the alien tech lines all over the Action Comics one? Also, no red underwear is a big mistake. As stupid as it is, it's iconic.

Bleeding Cool has started a DeadPool, and it could be fun to do something similar here, so here's the list BC has:

But rather than debate the pros and cons endlessly, we though we’d put out money where our mouth and organise a deadpool. From the list, make your choices…

1. Which book will first skip its solicited week of shipping?

2. Which book will first have a mismatch between digital and print availablity?

3. Which book will first skip the month it is solicited in?

4. Which book will first feature an unsolicited fill-in?

5. Which book will be cancelled first?

And the books:

1. Justice League #1 by Geoff Johns and Jim Lee (read more)

2. Justice League International #1 by Dan Jurgens and Aaron Lopresti (read more)

3. Teen Titans #1 by Scott Lobdell, Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund (read more)

4. Suicide Squad #1 by Adam Glass and Marco Rudy (read more)

5. Action Comics #1 by Grant Morrison and Rags Morales (read more)

6. Superman #1 by George Pérez (read more)

7. Superboy #1 by Scott Lobdell and… (read more)

8. Supergirl #1 by Michael Green, Mike Johnson and Mahmud A. Asrar (read more)

9. Batman #1 by Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo. (read more)

10. Detective Comics #1 by Tony Daniel (read more)

11. Batman: The Dark Knight #1 by David Finch (read more)

12. Batgirl #1 by Gail Simone, Ardian Syaf and Vicente Cifuentes. (read more)

13. Batwoman #1 by J.H. Williams III, Haden Blackman and Amy Reeder (read more)

14. Catwoman #1 by Judd Winick and Guillem March (read more)

15. Red Hood And The Outlaws #1 by Scott Lobdell and Kenneth Rocafort (read more)

16. Batwing #1 by Judd Winick and Ben Oliver (read more)

17. Nightwing #1 by Kyle Higgins and Eddy Barrows (read more)

18. Batman And Robin #1 by Peter Tomasi and Patrick Gleason (read more)

19. Birds Of Prey #1 by Duane Swierczynski and Jesus Saiz (read more)

20. Green Lantern #1 by Geoff Johns, Doug Mahnke and Christian Alamy (read more)

21. Green Lantern Corps #1 by Peter J. Tomasi, Fernando Pasarin and Scott Hanna (read more)

22. Green Lanterns: New Guardians #1 by Tony Bedard, Tyler Kirkham and Batt (read more)

23. Red Lanterns #1 by Peter Milligan, Ed Benes and Rob Hunter. (read more)

24. Aquaman #1 by Geoff Johns and Ivan Reis (read more)

25. Wonder Woman #1 by Brian Azzarello #1 and Cliff Chiang (read more)

26. Flash #1 by Brian Buccellato and Francis Manapul (read more)

27. Green Arrow #1 by JT Krul and Dan Jurgens (read more)

28. DC Universe Presents #1 by Paul Jenkins and Bernard Chang (read more)

29. Savage Hawkman #1 by Tony Daniel and Philip Tan (read more)

30. Blue Beetle #1 by Tony Bedard and Ig Guara (read more)

31. Fury Of Firestorm #1 by Gail Simone, Ethan Van Sciver and Yildiray Cinar. (read more)

32. Mr Terrific #1 by Eric Wallace and Roger Robinson (read more)

33. Captain Atom #1 by JT Krul and Freddie Williams II (read more)

34. OMAC #1 by Dan DiDio, Keith Giffen and Scott Koblish (read more)

35. Static Shock #1 by Felicia Henderson, John Rozum, Scott McDaniel and Jonathan Glapion. (read more)

36. Hawk And Dove #1 by Sterling Gates and Rob Liefeld (read more)

37. Deathstroke #1 by Kyle Higgins, Joe Bennett and Art Thibert (read more)

38. Legion of Superheroes by Paul Levitz and Francis Portela (read more)

39. Legion Lost #1 by Fabian Nicieza and Pete Woods (read more)

40. Grifter #1 by Nathan Edmondson, CAFU and BIT (read more)

41. Voodoo #1 by Ron Marz and Sami Basri. (read more)

42. Stormwatch #1 by Paul Cornell and Miguel Sepulveda (read more)

43. Animal Man #1 by Jeff Lemire, Travel Foreman and Dan Green (read more)

44. Swamp Thing #1 by Scott Snyder and Yanick Paquette (read more)

45. Justice League Dark #1 by Peter Milligan and Mikel Janin (read more)

46. Demon Knights #1 by Paul Cornell, Diogenes Neves and Oclair Albert (read more)

47. Frankenstein: Agent Of SHADE #1 by Jeff Lemire and Alberto Ponticelli (read more)

48. Resurrection Man #1 by Dan Abnett, Andy Lanning and Fernando Dagnino (read more)

49. I, Vampire #1 by Josh Fialkov and Andrea Sorrentino (read more)

50. Blackhawks #1 by Mike Costa and Ken Lashley (read more)

51. Sgt Rock And The Men Of War #1 by Ivan Brandon and Tom Derenick (read more)

52. All-Star Western #1 by Jimmy Palmiotti, Justin Grey and Meridat. (Vigilante by Darwyn Cooke in the back?) (read more)

If that were true, he'd need to change a lot more than just in what we're seeing. That'd mean the elimination of Lois Lane, the Superman costume in full, and maybe even the Daily Planet. Considering that Lois and the Planet are mentioned in the Superman #1 solicit, and the costume isn't changed that much, I don't think this is because of the lawsuit.

Bleeding Cool has started a DeadPool, and it could be fun to do something similar here, so here's the list BC has:

But rather than debate the pros and cons endlessly, we though we’d put out money where our mouth and organise a deadpool. From the list, make your choices…

01. Batwoman's scheduling conflicts have become a joke, and I don't see that changing post-reboot.

02. Wonder Woman

03. RE: #1

04. RE: #1

05. Mr. Terrific

First of all, the suit only contains what Siegel and Shuster created BEFORE IT WAS PUBLISHED BY DC, everything created afterwards is fair game. As far as I can tell, that only includes the costume. I just don't understand what that means for the name. That was definitely there before DC as the two created a previous character named Superman.

Here're my picks:

Justice League of America (the idea of Jim Lee meeting schedule on a monthly book is a joke to me)

Superboy (don't really care about this topic so I took a random guess)

Justice League of America (see #1)

Batman Inc. (though that's wishful thinking)

Savage Hawkman (Voodoo a close second)

First of all, the suit only contains what Siegel and Shuster created BEFORE IT WAS PUBLISHED BY DC, everything created afterwards is fair game. As far as I can tell, that only includes the costume. I just don't understand what that means for the name. That was definitely there before DC as the two created a previous character named Superman.

Nothing Superman was ever published before Action #1, other than the "Reign of the Super-Man" story, which is completely unrelated.

Reign_of_the_Superman_Story.jpg

I never said what they created was published before Action #1. I was saying that they created Superman before DC paid them to do so. Thus, they own everything to do with the character that they created before Action Comics #1. Which, to my understanding is the original costume and elements of the origin. The Supes story that appeared in Action #1 was a strip the two created a while before and couldn't sell at a newspaper. They cut it up and put it into a comic page when DC bought it. They then rewrote the thing to jive properly with the new format. And that is where, I think, DC's out is.

I never said what they created was published before Action #1. I was saying that they created Superman before DC paid them to do so.

Does that even matter? Just because they had the idea floating around in their heads and drew a few panels as a test before selling the book to DC doesn't mean that they own the rights.

Or, I should say, it might not mean that. That's what's being debated at the moment.

1. Which book will first skip its solicited week of shipping? JLA. Jim Lee is notirous for delays these days, and Geoff Johns is getting known for high profile books, that don't seem to be able to make their solicited dates, such as Secret Origins: Superman and Flash: Rebirth.

2. Which book will first have a mismatch between digital and print availablity? Action Comics #1. I just see something going wrong with this book.

3. Which book will first skip the month it is solicited in? Batwoman. The art may be great. But now JHWIII has to add co-writing the book, and coming up with plots DC approves for this high profile lesbian character, who's won them awards. DC will not just let Williams do whatever the fuck he wants with the book, they will likely keep a close eye on what he's doing and how he treats Batwoman, which will add delays to the book. Also, issue #0 came out last November I think.

4. Which book will first feature an unsolicited fill-in? Batman: Dark Knight. David Finch has had this book for months, and only issue 3 just came out, and already he needed someone to fill in for him, with the art.

5. Which book will be cancelled first? Batman & Robin. Tomasi and Gleason are not that big names compared to Morrison, also, their issues of the current B&R, weren't that good, and made very little sense.

Wondering why there’s no JSA (other than Mr. Terrific’s solo title) in DC’s immediate post-Flashpoint plans? Co-publisher Dan DiDio addressed the situation on Facebook this past Friday:

AS for JSA, we have decided to rest this concept while we devote our attention on the launch of the three new Justice League series. As for other characters and series not part of the initial 52, there are plenty of stories to be told, and we’re just getting started. best, DD

So, there you go. The move isn’t without historical precedent — there was no Justice Society book for years post-Crisis on Infinite Earths, as we pointed out a couple of weeks ago. Keeping the speculation alive, in response to a fan upset about not seeing the usual JSA cast, DiDio wrote: “who said we weren’t going to see the characters?”

Source

And:

Newsarama posts DC solicits.

DiDio may have revealed that Lois/Clark are over in the reboot. This is Rich Johnson reading very deeply into a single quote from an interview so take it with a huge grain of salt.

Well, to play along with the wording he's taken. DC could do something very good like:

Have Superman move out of their home for a while. Give each of them some space to really analyse what they want from the relationship and if they still want the same goals at the end of the day and if they are still meant to be together, then it will become clear that they should get back together.

It would be a giant middle finger to what Marvel has done with Spider-Man and they would actually be able to take the situation and play it in a realistic light, and show readers that although they may not sleep in the same house anymore, they still love each other. Which would, in theory be great for kids who's parents would be going for a divorce, or trial separation, and knowing that even Superman's life isn't all that great, and he does have to deal with real life problems.

Though, DC will probably just dissolve the marriage, so's Clark can join the mile high club in the back of Wonder Woman's invisible jet.

I would rather have Lois and Clark's marriage erased than have them divorce.

The entire point of removing their marriage would be to restore the classic Clark/Lois/Superman love triangle, which is an essential part of the mythos. Having them divorce just puts a stain on their relationship; it doesn't make anything better. Because, let's face it, Superman isn't going to ever truly be with anyone but Lois in the main DCU. He can end up with Diana in alternate/possible futures or timelines, but he's always going to be with Lois in the primary story.

Resetting their relationship to its early stages makes a lot of sense, both in terms of going back to the heart of the Superman legend and in terms of bringing in new readers. It's something that a lot of fans (myself included) have been hoping for for a long while.