DC reboot

dc20willsave

You know what? When I see shit like this on the page, it honestly feels like all they see woman is tits and ass and sex objects. It feels like they don't respect me as a reader.

And you know what? Sex is a very good thing! I enjoy having sex! However, look at those pages and tell me for one moment that the women being drawn in those positions are being respected.

And pardon me, but how in the hell is that misandry?

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I read the whole issue. Yeah, it was sort of an oversexed thrillride-type story, but it actually worked.

Hannah, how is it misogyny?

Starfire basically tells Roy that she's using him for emotionless sex, and Bruce gives in when Selina pounces on him.

If anything, I'd say that's closer to misandry, showing males to be sex playthings for women.

huge_roll_eyes.gif

I do however draw the line at showing two characters at it, with Catwoman straddling Batman and riding him pn panel, in a comic. That just seems so out of place to me. I would not have a problem if they were shown kissing in one panel, and then clothes strewn all over the floor, as they lay in bed in the next, implying that they had sex, and not actually outright saying it. But showing them mid-performance, is just a bit much, and sort of comes across as some fan-fiction instead of work from a professional writer who's paid to write/draw about these famous characters.

Technically they're not having sex on-panel; both their pants are still on.

There's a pretty fucking big difference Catwoman hitting on Batman and fucking him on a rooftop, Aaron.

It was a penthouse. They were indoors. And Catwoman has a long history of not just "hitting" on Batman. She's been flat-out after him sexually for decades now. It's a little different here because Bruce actually gave into her advances.

And for the record, I didn't exactly like what happened either. I just don't think it's a gigantic deal. Everyone go read Batman #1. It's awesome and doesn't have anyone fucking.

What's awful about the Catwoman issue is that the sexual tension between her and Batman has always been that: TENSION. Batman is too focused on his war on crime to give into it, despite the fact that he really wants Selina. And Selina is attracted to Bruce's hard-to-get nature of him. To have the characters not know each other's identities yet repeatedly have masked sex is so GADawful, I cannot believe DC rolled with this. Seriously.

And Starfire went from a character who was comfortable with her sexuality and loved/never got over Dick Grayson (the man she was seconds away from marrying) to not even remembering who he is and wants wanton sex with people. Great. Wonderful.

This isn't a patriacal rant of women wanting and enjoying sex, this is complaining about the mishandling of the characters for the sake of sex.

What's awful about the Catwoman issue is that the sexual tension between her and Batman has always been that: TENSION. Batman is too focused on his war on crime to give into it, despite the fact that he really wants Selina. And Selina is attracted to Bruce's hard-to-get nature of him. To have the characters not know each other's identities yet repeatedly have masked sex is so GADawful, I cannot believe DC rolled with this. Seriously.

Yeah, I pretty much agree with that. Actually having them consummate their relationship was the real WTF factor in the issue. I'm not freaking out over it or anything, but I don't like that it happened.

And Starfire went from a character who was comfortable with her sexuality and loved/never got over Dick Grayson (the man she was seconds away from marrying) to not even remembering who he is and wants wanton sex with people. Great. Wonderful.

That bothers me more than anything else. More than Batman getting (what seems to be physically impossible, given clothing positions) sex from Selina. That pretty much ruins a great character.

I never really held any stock in DiDio being a sexist piece of crap, but this reboot has me thinking that's exactly what he is.

As the man said:

JackNicholsonFinger.gif

review of the weeks books i've read

batman - it was a good read, solid story and fantastic suprise ending but it kinda seems how the story's going and the titles are tjis should have been detective comics and DC be batman

birds of prey - nothing happened, they found some reporter they unmasked a guy they got away and a "climax" happened. though i did like the art

blue beatle - teen problems and spanish that didnt feel right

captain atom - i seriously have no idea whats going on, and the art seems like the artist spent too much time on the captain and kinda did the rest half assed

catwoman - i couldnt get into it thanks to it being nintey eight percent T&A shots and the other two percent being story. also another very obvious sighting of cloaked woman

dc presents - i liked it, it was a touching story and i hope it evolves a bit more in the future

gl corps - great story and i cant wait for next month. it also made me like john and guy so much more

nightwing - a great way to blend "first story" with coninuity

redhood and the outlaws - i would have liked it more if starfire wasnt there. i loved the comunication between jason and roy but i think my connection to the teen titans tv show affected my liking of starfire, because she's nothing like she is in the show. i know i sound like a broken record but, FUCKING STOP WITH THE GOD DAMN T&A SHOTS! EDIT: it seems after reading other coments starfire didn't used to be like this in the comics, if thats so then what the fuck is this writer doing?

supergirl - i like it, i like the art i like the story though i am iffy on the costume but im gonna have to get used to it

I was surprised to see the Starfire thing. and the dialogue between her and Roy really REALLY made her unlikable. I had no idea about the Catwoman thing, and was literally shocked in a bad way. And did either Red Hood or Catwoman have Mature ratings? This was ridiculous. So much for broadening the readership DC and getting kids into comics. A parent sees their kid reading this, forget about it.

From DCComics.com:

E – EVERYONE

Appropriate for readers of all ages. May contain cartoon violence and/or some comic mischief.

T – TEEN

Appropriate for readers age 12 and older. May contain mild violence, language and/or suggestive themes.

T+ - TEEN PLUS

Appropriate for readers age 16 and older. May contain moderate violence, mild profanity, graphic imagery and/or suggestive themes.

M – MATURE

Appropriate for readers age 18 and older. May contain intense violence, extensive profanity, nudity, sexual themes and other content suitable only for older readers.

Red Hood and the Outlaws was T, and Catwoman was T+.

The cheesecake in Catwoman was insane. I'm a big fan of the modern character and her previous book, Brubaker and Cooke made a fantastic team. This was just pure FHM-fodder, completely overshadowed the story.

I'm not sure at what point Catwoman's boobs grew to the point where they no longer fit in her uniform. They fit a few years ago, but now the don't. Maybe she should get fitted for a new one so this problem doesn't keep happening.

I just got Batman today and loved it. I loved the art and the surprise ending was pretty cool. I love that The Riddler has a Mohawk shaved into a question mark. I read Green Lantern but it didn't seem to have much happening besides the one Sinestro Corps member finding out Sinestro was a GL again, but he was killed. I liked Justice League only because it was funny to see how fucking cocky Hal was as GL "Green Lantern can do anything", I also liked the art. I loved Action Comics but thought that Clark reminded me a little too much of Ultimate Spider-Man Peter Parker.

listed from favorite to lease favorite:

1. Batman

2. Action Comics

3. Justice League

4. Green Lantern (nothing, fucking, happened.)

I'll probably give GL a few more comics but if it doesn't start having things happen I'll drop it.

Batman is definitely going to be a monthly comic I won't drop.

I'll get Action Comic too

No so sure what I'm gonna do with JL, I am getting the next one though.

My local comic shop is re-ordering Detective for me so I should get that soon, and I can't wait for The Flash because I love him and Francis Manapaul is one of my favorite artists. I'll be back with thoughts on both of those books soon.

Well. I picked 11 comics out of the 52 to get:

Justice League - sticking with the current storyline then re-evaluate

Action Comics - keeping

Batgirl - keeping

Hawk & Dove - getting #2 and maybe #3 for further study (I have the entire run of the previous series with these two. If I put up with Karl Kessel, I can put up with Leifeld)

Stormwatch - getting #2 then re-evaluate.

Swamp Thing - getting #2 for sure. re-evaluate

Batwoman - HATE the art, LOVE the writing. I can see this one being constantly on the verge of being dropped due to my feelings over the artwork each month.

Suicide Squad - getting #2 then re-evaluate.

Birds of Prey - not picked up yet

Wonder Woman - not picked up yet

Catwoman - not picked up yet - but if its going to continue in the vein it seems to have started in, it's gonna get dropped fast.

So far, only 2 definites, one storyline pickup and two more evaluation months (at the most) for the rest. But Action and Batgirl are both pretty damn good...