DC reboot

dc20willsave

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, reading that review, I agree with the stuff about Starfire, but the rest just puzzled me.

First off, he says that although he's "one of us," he doesn't recognize Starfire, Roy Harper, or the Red Hood. Red Hood I could understand if he's been away from comics for a while, but Roy Harper is a long-standing legacy character and Starfire was one of the main characters on DC's top book while Shooter was EIC at Marvel. And she looks basically the same as she did then. What, was he just not paying attention?

Some of his art complaints are puzzling as well. Is he purposely missing details? Like the fact that Roy's quiver (which he says he doesn't understand where-came-from) is shown popping out of Jason's jacket, or that that same jacket is shown above the holstered gun, clearly indicating who's drawing the gun that he says he was confused about who was drawing?

To me—someone who didn't get hung up on obvious details like that—the whole review, with the exception of some pretty legitimate complaints (the Starfire stuff, mostly) kind of makes Shooter seem like a cranky old man who doesn't get what "the kids" are into these days.

And goddammit, if one more person tells me I work at DC, I will stab something.

So, reading that review, I agree with the stuff about Starfire, but the rest just puzzled me.

First off, he says that although he's "one of us," he doesn't recognize Starfire, Roy Harper, or the Red Hood. Red Hood I could understand if he's been away from comics for a while, but Roy Harper is a long-standing legacy character and Starfire was one of the main characters on DC's top book while Shooter was EIC at Marvel. And she looks basically the same as she did then. What, was he just not paying attention?

Some of his art complaints are puzzling as well. Is he purposely missing details? Like the fact that Roy's quiver (which he says he doesn't understand where-came-from) is shown popping out of Jason's jacket, or that that same jacket is shown above the holstered gun, clearly indicating who's drawing the gun that he says he was confused about who was drawing?

To me—someone who didn't get hung up on obvious details like that—the whole review, with the exception of some pretty legitimate complaints (the Starfire stuff, mostly) kind of makes Shooter seem like a cranky old man who doesn't get what "the kids" are into these days.

I was going to respond and say, maybe the only DC characters Shooter ever gave a shit about were LOSH. But then I remembered that Teen Titans/X-Men was written under his reign as EIC.

I was going to respond and say, maybe the only DC characters Shooter ever gave a shit about were LOSH. But then I remembered that Teen Titans/X-Men was written under his reign as EIC.

It's been a while since I read it, but I'm fairly certain Speedy wasn't in that book. And to be fair, if someone's not REALLY into DC, it's not unheard of for them to be unfamiliar with the new persona of a sidekick character to one of the competitions' B-list heroes.

He was on the money with that final panel from Batman #1. (1940)

Of the #2s this week, Action and Static Shock top it out for me. Action was engaging as all hell, just as before. Static was surprisingly excellent. I enjoyed the last issue, but only on a badic level. We get more of Virgil's though process here, and a definite mystery at how hsi powers truly work. I was totally immersed in both titles, and can't wait for the next issue.

I've decided to do a second month of my reviews so here is week one. reviews may be far between but i will review all the ones i read

Action Comics #2 - the story was interesting involving a lot of torture and they covered a lot of ground but it didn't feel like it went anywhere. As for the art, it was shit it had its highlights like some very good panels but all in all i fucking hated i, it all looked like blobs on a page trying to do something that it failed at

Animal Man #2 - Animal man was awsomne i love the art, it matches tone of the book with it's creepy styles. The story is amazing, it is a genuine mystery as to whats going on and how it's going to end up.

Swamp Thing #1- I finally got to this and i have to say i like it, it is kinda confusing at points but it reads smoothly and it is smart. The art on it feels like a book from a few decades ago. I can't wait to read this month's.

Batwing #2 - I'm still liking this one it's keeping it's eye on what it is Batman of Africa, though it could use a bit less off Batman and give Batwing the whole book. The art is awesome and does not disapoint it's dirty yet clean at the same time. This one is definately going to be kept being read by me. One last thing, Mr. Winik. please stick to this and get the fuck away from Catwoman

Detective Comics #2 - Okay before i read this one i flipped through it, not the last page but the rest of the book, i regret that. The story is slow and boring and treats batman as a cop rather than a detective going so far as him not investigating an abandoned car and getting attacked from behind. The art was a mismach of what looked like three different eras of batman. I think after next week if this one doesnt impress me i'm dropping it.

Green Arrow #2 - This feels like im back watching spiderman the animated series as a kid, but with a lot more blood. The story is kind of boring and predictable but it seams like thats the way they're trying to go with it. The art feels like it's from an old cartoon like batman or spiderman. i'm not sure i'm keeping this one.

Justice League International #2 - I like it. It's the start of a team where no one knows really how to be a team, it's a plan that's doomed to fail and Booster Gold is at the helm. The story for this is building to something i like a big fuck off battle with a big fuck off bad guy. The art in this was so good, i was looking forward to each page as i continued reading.

Red Lantern #2 - Nothing happened! Throughout the story i was expecting something to happen in this book something exciting or a big battle, nothing, though that isn't a bad thing it's building slowly. The art I didn't like though, i don't know why i just dont.

Static Shock #2 - Reading this i am convinced this is a sequel to the cartoon. The story is ramping up nicely and it shows how smart virgil is and how resourceful he can be. Art wise this is good, not great but good, sometimes it can be hard to tell whats going on, but at the same time4 it's easy to tell Static apart from Batman or Superman. i love static i love this book and i'm going to continue to read it.

Swamp Thing #2 - i'm glad i'm reading this. the story for this is basicly a primer into the world of Swamp Thing, it tells you what you need to know about the character and why he is who he is. the art is fantastic i loved it, it just oozes creepy and extravagent at the same time. this is going to be finished being read by me.

all tougether this week has been good. the stories have been great but the art has been lacking, i think the problem with the art is that alll the artists were focusing on the first week and when it came to doing the second week they ran out of steam.

Edited by bobobob_100

Month two week two of reviews

Batgirl #2 - I can not get into this story, I opened to the first page and had no idea what the hell was going on. after reading three pages in i gave up and said fuck this. I am done with Batgirl.

Batman and Robin #2 - I love this book. this is a touching yet disturbing story of father and son through the ass kickery of batman. The story is picking up and it seems we're getting answers as to whats going on. The art is good in my eyes the best continuation of last months books so far

Batwoman #2 - This is the series I'm sticking with no matter what. The story is ramping up well, its becoming a crime drama in the best ways possible. I love this book. art wise this book took a down turn for me in the first couple of pages, it was too bright and colorful for this kind of book and it did not work

Deathstroke #2 - All action no story, it was boring. Lots of blood everywhere does not make a story. The color re is exemplafied here, it is infact very red and very orange. If i were to give a suggestion, skip this

Green Lantern #2- It's growing on me. Last month i think i said this one was boring and kind of lack luster, they fixed that. The art was better. All in all not much to say but, i guess good job?

Suicide Squad #2 - I'm both impressed and kinda sad. the story is good but predictable, i really like it, the characters work great off of each other. On the other hand Harley Quinn is nothing but a characuture, that may be due to the fact of she doesnt have some one right to bounce off of, but I'm not liking her and this is coming from a guy who has a picture of her on his wall. As for the art in this book it's hit or miss some panels are detailed and look pretty, others look like like a three year old with a box of crayons rubbing it against a piece of paper. it is decent.

Grifter #2 - Seems like a mix of they live superheroes. Story wise it's not telling you much but its pretty interesting. Art wise its kinda pretty, I'm not saying its great but it's pretty.

Resurrection Man #2 - Confused. I think i like this story, I'm not really sure, it's telling a cohesive story yet i cant seem to follow it to save my life. The art is fantastic it's dark and creepy yet you have the ability to see everything on the page, to me it just looks beautiful. all that aside i think I'm the only man alive that is sick of seeing half naked women, i like the human form as much as the next guy but do i have to see boobs flopping around everywhere i look? no there isn't any nudity in this book just very provocatively dressed women, and yes it did take me a minute to think of a word for that, and yes I'm sick of seeing boobs.

Superboy #2 - meh. This story went from being interesting to boring. The art is shit. That's all i really have to say about this

done for now be back on Thursday for more, maybe even Wednesday, but sense Arkham City comes out tomorrow I'm thinking Thursday.

Edited by bobobob_100